Free Crochet Wreath Pattern

November 7th, 2010 · 22 Comments

One Christmas when I was a kid my mom made a bunch of small fabric wreaths to hang in all of our windows.  They looked so beautiful!  I wanted to create a crochet wreath reminiscent of those fabric wreaths I remember from my childhood because my sewing skills leave much to be desired!  Here is the pattern I came up with.  It is very easy and basic, but the wreaths look just as beautiful as the fabric ones.  You can use different colors to create wreaths for all different holidays and all different decors.  I hope you enjoy my pattern!

If you have any questions, you can leave them in the comments or email me: gayle at planetmfiles dot com

Don’t miss a pattern!  Subscribe to my RSS feed and follow me on Twitter!

Visit my free pattern archives for more crocheting fun!  I am beginning the process of converting all of my patterns to PDF files and will add the PDF links to each pattern post as they are created.

To access the PDF version of this pattern click on the link  -  Crocheted Wreath 2010 created by Gayle.  If PDF files aren’t your thing, view the pattern below!

Crocheted Wreath

Pattern created by Gayle at www.PlanetMFiles.com

gayle@planetmfiles.com

Size: About 6 inch diameter

Materials:

• For wreath tubes – Lily Sugar ‘n Cream in colors Country Red, Warm Brown and Hot Orange – one skein of each is more than enough
  • For bow – Red Heart Crème de la Crème in color Goldtones – one skein is more than enough
  • Crochet Hook – Size US F-5 (3.75mm) for the Crème de la Crème yarn and Size G-6 (4.25mm) for the Lily Sugar ‘n Cream yarn
  • Stitch marker.  I use a small piece of a contrasting color of yarn.

Gauge: Not important

Abbreviations: sc = single crochet, ch = chain, sl st = slip stitch, st = stitch

Notes: The tubes that form the wreath are worked in rounds.  Rounds are worked in continuous spirals, do not join.  Do not turn at the end of each round.  The bow pieces are not made in rounds.

Pattern:

Wreath Tube – Make 3, one each – Country Red, Warm Brown and Hot Orange:

1. Chain 2
  2. 5 sc in 2nd ch from hook.  Mark first stitch for beginning of round and move marker up for each round.
  3. sc in each sc around for 55 rounds.
  4. Sl st
  5. Cut yarn leaving a long tail.  Knot yarn by pulling the yarn tail through the loop of yarn that is on the hook. The long yarn tail will be used later for sewing one end of the tube to the other.

Crochet Wreath Tubes

Bow – long piece:

1. Chain 61
  2. sc in 2nd ch from hook and in remaining ch’s
  3. ch 1, turn, sc across
  4. Repeat step 3 for 2 more rows
  5. Cut yarn and knot it by pulling the yarn tail through the loop of yarn that is on the hook.  Weave in the yarn tails.

Bow – short piece:

1. Leaving a long length of yarn at the beginning, ch 11
  2. sc in 2nd ch from hook and in remaining ch’s
  3. ch 1, turn, sc across
  4. ch 1, turn, sc across

Bow pieces for crochet wreath

Assembly:

Hold the three tubes with all three ending tails next to each other.  Hold these ends even.  If the lengths of the tubes vary slightly, that’s okay.  They are stretchy so you can pull any that are too short to match up in length with the others.

Braid the 3 tubes together.

Form the braided tubes into a wreath shape.

Crochet Wreath with tubes braided and sewn toether

Using the long yarn tails sew the end of each tube to it’s beginning.

Form a bow shape with the long length of bow.  Use a piece of matching yarn to tack it together in the center.

Bow formed with long bow piece

Wrap the short piece of bow around the middle of your bow and sew it together in the back.

Bow made

Tie the bow to your wreath.

You’re finished!

This pattern is my own and is protected by copyright laws.  It is intended for your personal use only.  All other uses are strictly prohibited.  This pattern and items made from it may not be sold or used for monetary gains.

This pattern and all photographs are copyrighted.

All Rights Reserved.

© 2008 to the end of time – Planet M Files

Tags: Crocheted Stuff · Free Patterns

• 1 Se'lah // Nov 7, 2010 at 5:51 pm

i’d love to sit with you one weekend and have you teach me a little crocheting ;)

hope you are enjoying your weekend. one love.

• 2 Geri // Nov 8, 2010 at 9:16 am

got this from a friend and love your idea a great ornament for any season in color for season or holiday.

• 3 Puna // Nov 8, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Oh my gosh Gayle, that’s adorable! I wish I still crocheted.

• 4 Tracy // Nov 9, 2010 at 8:40 am

This is just sooo PRETTY, Gayle! I like how working in different colors can evoke a change of season. What a great idea… Thank you so much! Hope you are having some better days there… Thinking of you all :o) ((HUGS))

• 5 DesignTies // Nov 9, 2010 at 9:45 am

Gayle, your wreath is so charming! If I knew how to crochet, I’d whip up a few of them in purple, turquoise, and white for Christmas :-)

Kelly

• 6 Kelly @ JAX does design` // Nov 9, 2010 at 9:46 am

Whoops, posted my comment under the wrong profile. But you know who I am :-)

Kelly

• 7 Lee // Nov 9, 2010 at 10:44 am

I made simular ones years ago but in fabric .Now I can do them in crochet. Good job. Keep on designing.

• 8 Vickie // Nov 9, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Oh my! This is sooooo adorable. I wish I had skills like this…I’ve never crocheted anything in my life, but love it! You got skills, Lady!

• 9 Relyn // Nov 11, 2010 at 2:23 pm

You are so generous. And so talented.

• 10 Debbie // Nov 17, 2010 at 8:38 pm

This is so adorable. I’ve been looking for something different to make. I’m going to try this tonight. I’m sure it’ll look fantastic in greens and reds for Christmas. Can’t wait to get started.

• 11 Another "Gail" // Dec 10, 2010 at 8:51 am

This is a great idea! I once did a couple of fairly large ones in fabric, but I am looking forward to trying a crocheted one. I bet I won’t stop at just “one”!
    Thanks for sharing. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year !! ~Gail

• 12 Natasha // Jan 5, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Hi Gayle,

Whilst searching for inspiration on the web I stumbled across this. It is so beautiful! I am new to this on-line community of knitting and crocheting and find the whole thing fascinating, more so because of talented people like you sharing your knowledge with all of us.

As a result of the yarn frenzy I find myself at the moment, I have joined a site called ravelry… although it distracts from knitting/crocheting which is all I want to be doing lately!

In any case, I queued up your wreath to give it a go, and it turns out they don’t have it on their database. Long story short, I added the details and I hope it is OK with you that I have done this. Please do let me know otherwise and I will (hopefully, I am sure there must be a way of deleting stuff off there, right?) get it removed.

Thank you so much for sharing your inspiration.

Cheers
    Natasha

• 13 This Weeks Favorites // Jan 6, 2012 at 7:44 am

[...] Patterns Crocheted Wreath Pattern Winter Crafts – great to do with the [...]

• 14 Santhiya // Mar 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Do you have any tips on making this wreath larger for the front door? I’ll make it longer but should I make them wider as well?

Thanks!

• 15 Latosca // Sep 5, 2012 at 8:21 am

Beautiful wreath! I am having a really hard time starting the wreath, can you please break down how to start the tubes for it.

• 16 Gayle // Sep 5, 2012 at 9:42 am

Hi Latosca!
    Thanks! I’ll try to make some timetoday or tomorrow to start a tube and take pictures to send you.
    Gayle

• 17 ladyjane // Sep 27, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I can’t wait to do this!
    I found your pattern on AllFreeCrochet.com.

• 18 Sharon // Nov 25, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I have started the tube. I hope they turn out like yours. I love them.

• 19 Lori M. Pullen // Aug 5, 2013 at 5:53 pm

This looks really neat. I am going to try this and sell them at the craft fairs I sell at. I think this would make a great gift for any occasion. Christmas, Easter, Summer, Spring and any other event. Thanks for sharing and if you ever need any neat patterns. I have some that I have made up myself. Just let me know

• 20 Gayle // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Hi Lori,
    I’m glad you like my pattern! I want to point out to you that part of my copyright is that my pattern and items made from it are not to be sold or used for monetary gain.
    Gayle

• 21 Tricia // Oct 18, 2013 at 4:37 am

Hi Gayle. I really love this pattern and would love to have your permission to use it in my crochet class. I teach at Michael’s Crafting store and of course you would get full credit for the pattern I would just be helping others to make it.

• 22 Freddie Ann Miller // Aug 28, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Perfect for me to make for a friend of mine who is moving into a house she just bought. Thank you so much.