Crochet Heart: Step-By-Step Instructions

February 9th, 2010 · 32 Comments

My photos may not show up in a feed reader or by email subscription.  I still haven’t gotten that to work all the time. If you don’t see the photos, click through to my site.  There’s a bunch of them!

Do you want to make my crochet hearts, but you’re having problems?  Here’s a step by step guide!  It’s full of photos and hopefully it will demystify the strangeness of my heart.  Not that my heart is strange.  Wait.  That sounds weird.  Oh, and not my heart…my crochet heart!  Never mind, just go ahead and make some hearts!  My actual pattern is here.

Click on any photo to see it larger.

Photo 1: A slip knot on the hook.

Photo 2: Two chains done.

Photo 3:Visual of 2nd chain from hook, where you are going to put the hook to do the six single crochets.

Photo 4: Hook is now in 2nd chain from hook.

Photo 5: Six sc's are now done in the 2nd ch from hook.

Photo 6: Hook is now in the first of of the sc's of previous round.

Photo 7: Completed is 2 sc's in each of the next 5 sc's of the previous round.

Photo 8: Chain 1 done.

Photo 9: 2 dc's now done in the next sc (This is the bottom of the heart.)

Photo 10: 2 sc's are now done in the next sc.

Photo 11:  1 sc now done in the next sc

Photo 11: 1 sc is now done in the next sc.

Photo 12: 1 hdc and 4 dc's are now done in the next sc. (This is one of the top bumps of the heart.)

Photo 13: 1 sc is now done in the next sc.

Photo 14: A slip stitch is now done in the next sc.

Photo 15: 1 sc is now done in the next sc.

Photo 16: 3 dc's and 1 hdc are now done in the next sc. (This forms the other top bump of the heart.)

Photo 17: 1 sc now done in the next sc.

Photo 18: A slip stitch is now done in the next sc.

Photo 19: Finished off! Yarn is cut with long tail for weaving into back.

Photo 20: View of the back. Yarn ends need to be weaved in!

This pattern is my own and is protected by copyright laws.  It is intended for your personal use only.  All other uses are strictly prohibited.  Do not reprint this pattern without my express written permission. This pattern and items made from it may not be sold or used for monetary gains.

This pattern and all photographs are copyrighted.

All Rights Reserved.

© 2008 to the end of time – Planet M Files

If you have any questions, you can leave them in the comments or email me: gayle at planetmfiles dot com

Don’t miss a pattern!  Subscribe to my RSS feed and follow me on Twitter!

Tags: Crocheted Stuff · Free Patterns

• 1 Free Crochet Heart Pattern // Feb 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm

[...] Edited to Add: You can now view a step-by-step guide to making my crochet hearts here: http://planetmfiles.com/2010/02/09/crochet-heart-step-by-step/ [...]

• 2 Whitney // Feb 9, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Thank you so much! I just think I crochet too tight for the thread hearts to turn out correctly. I will email the picture of the first yarn heart I did and I hereby allow the owner of this site if she so desires. =D The last two I did with the yarn did not turn out well at all. The second one turned out a little off, but the last one turned out like the thread ones!! LOL

• 3 Whitney // Feb 9, 2010 at 2:06 pm

P.S. I intended to say “… to post it…” Oops. My fingers were going faster than my brain it seems!! LOL

• 4 Se'lah // Feb 9, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I am utterly impressed. I’ll just have to crotchet a string and leave this kinda work to the professionals. lol. very nice of you to share, Gayle.

• 5 Katie in MA // Feb 9, 2010 at 4:46 pm

You are AMAZING! About the only crochet things I know how to do are single chains and, um, double chains (and I made that term up. The single chain with two loops?). You made it look so easy, I think I will try it tonight! Oooooh….my fingers are itching for some pretty yarn and a crochet hook….
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..Three cheers for the Saints! =-.

• 6 Talina of Harvest of Daily Life // Feb 9, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Very cool! I could so make these thanks to your easy instructions.

Found you via twitter. Any chance you know what “working back along other side of ch” means? I am working on a crochet bunny and am stumped with the pattern :-/
    .-= Talina of Harvest of Daily Life´s last blog ..Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat nor… Wait, nevermind. =-.

• 7 Kimmie // Feb 9, 2010 at 8:31 pm

thank you so much for the tutorial ….. you know, I think I can do THAT!!!! very cool :)
    .-= Kimmie´s last blog ..good things …. =-.

• 8 Shannon // Feb 10, 2010 at 12:34 am

One day I will learn to do this!!

• 9 Puna // Feb 10, 2010 at 9:11 am

I haven’t crocheted in years! This is so adorable!
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..February 10, Good-Byes Are Not Forever =-.

• 10 vchelle // Feb 10, 2010 at 2:18 pm

These hearts are soooo cute! One day I will have the time to do this! Thanks for sharing…
    .-= vchelle´s last blog ..Love Conscious =-.

• 11 Tracy // Feb 11, 2010 at 6:34 am

Thanks so much for this fun, and excellently made tutorial, Gayle… making the “dip” for the heart was easier than I imaged. Just LOVE the collection of hearts in that top photo… Wishing you & yours a sweet Valentine Weekend ahead :o) ((HUGS))

• 12 Love tries and tries again. « Can’t Get There From Here // Feb 11, 2010 at 12:11 pm

[...] tries and tries again. By Katie I was over at Planet M awhile back and saw these cute little hearts that Gayle had made. I was immediately smitten. They’re cute, they’re brightly colored, and [...]

• 13 Yarn Candy « Polywiggles // Feb 15, 2010 at 11:17 am

[...] like little yarn candies? I tried several different heart patterns and found this little gem at Planet M Files. Check out her patterns, they are great! The heart is so simple to make, just a continuous spiral. [...]

• 14 Tutorial (sorta): Crochet Garlands « Speckless Blog // Nov 14, 2010 at 9:02 am

[...] motif five-point flower two flowers sun tiny heart lacy heart floral heart sunflower flower in a circle star in a star three stars star flower granny [...]

• 15 domonique // Nov 16, 2010 at 6:12 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU! i have recently gone from crocheting simple blankets to other random little things and this step by step was the easiest way for me to learn. thank you again!

• 16 Beulah Starr // Feb 1, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Hearts and more hearts, I love making them. Your patterns are so easy to follow. Thanks for being there for us!

• 17 J De Vita // Feb 3, 2011 at 5:46 pm

THANK YOU!! This pattern turned out absolutely perfectly–thank you for sharing! I tried another couple of heart patterns but this one is by far the best. Thank you again for sharing!

• 18 JEANNE // Sep 7, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I NEED A PATTERN FOR A CROCHETED HEART MADE OF A PINAPPLE DESIGN. BIG ENOUGH FOR THE COUCH

• 19 Catherine Hawkins // Nov 12, 2011 at 11:27 am

Hi there,

Should photo 16 be 4 dc and 1 hdc as in photo 12? Photo 16 only mentions 3dc. Thought the 2nd bump would need to match the first.
    Thanks

• 20 Gayle // Nov 12, 2011 at 3:35 pm

@Catherine Hawkins – For some reason I think the bumps look better this way! I’m not sure why, but you can try it out both ways and see what you think.
    Gayle

• 21 Sierra // Feb 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I love this pattern very simple for a beginner like me ^.^ I used plarn too very cute!! Thanks!!!

• 22 Sierra Struky // Feb 4, 2012 at 5:40 pm

another ?. How do I make the heart bigger ideas/tips?

• 23 lourdes // Feb 7, 2012 at 11:18 pm

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS CUTE PATTERN. I LEARNED TO CROCHET 6 MOS AGO AND WANTED A MOTIF TO PUT ON MY

• 24 Irene // Sep 30, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I would like to know how to make the heart a lot bigger I know other people have ask for how to make it bigger but I haven’t seen a answer, how do you make it bigger? Thanks

• 25 Sally // Dec 3, 2012 at 3:35 am

I think you made an error> You typed 3 Dc and 1 hdc on one side , and the other side has 4 dc and 1 hdc, did you mean for it to be equal, Because I tried it equally and my heart came out so much better. I love it. ty so much for sharing. Sorry If I made the error..

• 26 Desiray G // Feb 14, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Hi my new to crocheting and i wanted to make this my second project. I love the way you basically outlined the instructions. Thank you!

• 27 María Fernanda // Mar 16, 2013 at 4:35 am

Gracias chata!.

• 28 Markus // Mar 24, 2013 at 3:06 am

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get three e-mails
    with the same comment. Is there any way you can
    remove me from that service? Appreciate it!

my homepage Markus

• 29 Lara // Apr 10, 2013 at 12:14 am

Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

my web site – Lara

• 30 Cat // Jun 23, 2013 at 11:44 am

I just tried this in wire and it looks fantastic – especially with seed beads added.

• 31 Gail Di Pietra // Nov 30, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Very easy and just what I needed but my first heart looks lposided! With the 4 dc and 1 hdc on first side shouldn’t it be the same on second ‘bump? I’m a bit confused and visually mine do look lopsided. Help!

• 32 how to delete google plus account permanently // Sep 9, 2014 at 2:52 am

We stumbled over here from a different website and thought I might check things out.
    I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to looking at your web page yet
    again.