Monday Memories: The First!

March 8th, 2009 · 26 Comments

me-my-mom

Me & My Mom - Gee, we don't look very happy!

My Monday Memory today is about crochet.  My mom loved to crochet.  She also did some knitting, but mostly I remember her crocheting.  I have such wonderful memories of going shopping with her to look for the perfect yarn for her crochet projects.  I also remember us hunting far and wide for an afghan pattern that she wanted to find.  There was no internet back then, but the search was part of the fun!  (At least for me it was!)  She envisioned an afghan that had gentle curves of color.  She didn’t want the traditional zig-zag look of a ripple stitch.  She was sure there must be a pattern out there that would create what she envisioned.  We finally found the perfect pattern in a tiny yarn store.

It created the soothing, gentle curves that she wanted, but there is nothing soothing or gentle about the colors she picked!  This was the seventies!

afghan-3-8-09-006-small

Now it’s your turn!

Mr. Linky caused me some problems, but I think I’ve got him working with some advice from my blog friends Kim and Tim at Forever Wherever and Julia at Hooked on Houses!

So…what are your memories today?  If you have something to share with us today, leave a link to your blog post or photo in Mr. Linky.  If you don’t have a blog, tell us about a memory in the comment section.  I want to hear from everybody!  Please remember to:

• Leave a link to the specific blog post, not to your general blog address, to make it easier for people to find your memory post.
  • Make sure your link works and that it goes to your specific memory post.
  • Put a link back to here in your post so that your readers can come and read about everyone’s memories!
  • Visit the other participants and please leave comments on their posts!  We all love comments!
  • Enjoy the party and come back next week for Monday Memories: Part Two!

Tags: Crocheted Stuff · Monday Memories

• 1 Monkey's Momma // Mar 8, 2009 at 10:48 pm

My grandma was into crocheting also. And WOW, the colors she used! Browns, rust and white (with a little orange mixed in). :0

Monkey’s Momma’s last blog post..Who Would Like To Do A Guest Post?

• 2 Our Motorhome Visit to Mount Rushmore // Mar 8, 2009 at 11:27 pm

[…] hope you’ve enjoyed our little trip down memory lane!  Stop by Planet M Files for more […]

• 3 Gayle // Mar 8, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Hi Monkey’s Momma!

I wonder if all women in the old days used to learn at least one kind of needle or yarn craft. I think it’s wonderful!

• 4 Kim @ Forever Wherever // Mar 8, 2009 at 11:34 pm

My great-grandmother used to crochet and I still have afgans from when I was little. They do make you think of all the time that was spent working on them…and the love! Thanks for hosting such a neat blog party! I love your post!
    ~Kim

• 5 Gayle // Mar 8, 2009 at 11:37 pm

Hi Kim!

Thank you so much for participating in my first blog party! Yes, the love that goes into these handmade items makes them even more special.

• 6 Kerri // Mar 9, 2009 at 12:52 am

Found you through Forever Wherever’s link and I am so thankful for the impetus to post about a day long ago! Hope you have a great blog party and a wonderful week.

Kerri’s last blog post..A Walk in the Parque

• 7 maya | springtree road // Mar 9, 2009 at 1:21 am

we have that exact same afgan – my husband’s grandmother made it!

maya | springtree road’s last blog post..People I have known: looking for Ivy

• 8 Angela’s Peony Patch » Blog Archive » Monday Memories // Mar 9, 2009 at 8:00 am

[…] I am joining Gayle’s Monday Memories over at Planet M […]

• 9 Angela // Mar 9, 2009 at 8:11 am

My favorite blanket is one my grandma crocheted. I LOVE it. I have a few other crazy colored ones, but I haven’t managed to get them soft yet…they still seem stiff…Hmm. Anyhoo – LOVE your post – I can’t wait to get a scanner for my memory pictures!! Thanks for hosting!
    ~angela

Angela’s last blog post..Monday Memories

• 10 Gayle // Mar 9, 2009 at 8:30 am

Hi Kerri!
    Thank you for joining in and I hope you have a great week!

Hi maya!
    Wow! That is so cool!

Hi Angela!
    There really is something so special about a blanket made with love!

• 11 East Coast Wahine // Mar 9, 2009 at 9:09 am

What a wonderful gift to be able to share with your mother! I can only crochet a basic chain stitch! But with it I make crochet leis. My step grandmom can crochet anything!! In her home she has crocheted drapes, pillowcases, tablecloths, clothes, dishtowels, furniture coverings….anything! She taught me how to do a basic chain stitch!

• 12 Gayle // Mar 9, 2009 at 9:16 am

Hi East Cost Wahine!

That is so cool that you make crochet leis!

• 13 A Maui Blog » Blog Archive » Slip and Slide Wedding Reception // Mar 9, 2009 at 2:58 pm

[…] I stumbled upon an old photo from our Maui wedding reception that pu a smile inmy face. As I mentioned in my “about” page, my husband and I got married in the Philippine. It actually too 7 months before I could follow him here on Maui because of all the visa processing we had to do.  When I finally arrived here,our friends from Hope Chapel hosted aeception for us with a “Slip and Slide” theme  and a potlulocal style. It was fun! I thought this would be a fun thing to share at Monday Memries hosted by Planet M Files […]

• 14 Shalet // Mar 9, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Okay so I worked last night and am not feeling creative enough for a new memory. But I’m leaving a link from last year’s triathlon training. It’s also a good reminder to myself to get my butt in gear!

That afghan is sooo 70’s! It’s great!

Shalet’s last blog post..Frugal Friday: Food, Fitness and Frugality

• 15 Fifi Flowers // Mar 9, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Your post reminds me of pot holders my grandmother used to make.
    Memories are lovely!
    ENJOY!
    Fifi

Fifi Flowers’s last blog post..Weekend of Distractions…

• 16 Gayle // Mar 9, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Hi Shalet!
    Thank you so much for joining in even without enough sleep! Yes, this afghan screams 70’s!

Hi Fifi!
    Do you have any of the pot holders that your grandmother made? Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

• 17 spread your wings // Mar 10, 2009 at 10:46 am

during this same time period my mom made me a daisy afgan – have you ever seen those? very 70s. hmm i wonder if she still has it.

i can’t believe i forgot about the memory post. I guess since my daughter is home on spring break my mind is elsewhere. i wanted to go ahead and get one up so I posted i little something that needs to be continued.

spread your wings’s last blog post..climb up / spring ahead

• 18 Liz // Mar 10, 2009 at 11:40 am

I’m loving your mom’s outfit in that pic! :)

Liz’s last blog post..Kindergarten Art: My Guide to Decorating

• 19 Gayle // Mar 10, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Hi spread your wings!
    Yes, I have seen those although my mom never made one. Definitely very 70’s!

Hi Liz!
    I know, and you can see a little piece of a big white pocketbook she carried, too! I have to dig through my photos and find some more of those 70’s outfits!

• 20 Sandra // Mar 10, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Thanks for the memories! I’ve posted a link to my series that I started a few Mondays back, “Letters To My Children”.

Sandra’s last blog post..Monday Memories: Letters To My Children #4

• 21 Gayle // Mar 10, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Hi Sandra!
    Thank you for visiting and linking to your Monday Memories in Mr. Linky!

• 22 Spring? Is That You? // Mar 14, 2009 at 4:25 pm

[…] forget to come back to add your links to Monday Memories tomorrow (3/15) night!  Go and check out last week’s links if you missed […]

• 23 I Need Your Help // Mar 22, 2009 at 12:12 pm

[…] am working on my Monday Memories post now.  I will post it with Mr. Linky at about 10pm eastern time […]

• 24 Monday Memories: The Fourth! // Mar 29, 2009 at 9:55 pm

[…] and check out previous Monday Memories! The First, The Second, and The […]

• 25 Monday Memories: The Fifth! // Apr 5, 2009 at 9:56 pm

[…] and check out previous Monday Memories! The First, The Second, The Third and The […]

• 26 One Year Of Monday Memories! // Feb 28, 2010 at 11:02 pm

[…] hard to believe that this is my 52nd Monday Memories post. One year of Monday Memories! My Monday Memories: The First! was a post about my mom and crochet. Looking back on this past year of Monday Memories brings lots […]