Free Crochet Duck Pattern

February 27th, 2009 · 27 Comments

Crochet Duck

Here’s a cute little crochet duck for you to make!  She’s wearing a scarf in beautiful spring colors to keep her warm in these last days of winter and thinking about maybe showing up in some Easter baskets.  (My daughter named her duck Lily.)

This is another small, easy and quick project so you can make a flock of them if you want to!

Here she is without her scarf!

Here she is without her scarf!

Crochet Duck

Pattern created by Gayle www.planetmfiles.com

Size: Approximately 4 inches long

Materials:

• Worsted weight yarn.  I used off-white for the duck.  I don’t know what specific brand or color it is.  I got it in a bargain bin! Also a small amount of yellow yarn for making the beak. And, I used Red Heart Super Saver Yarn in the color Monet for the scarf.
  • Stitch marker (I use a small piece of a contrasting color of yarn)
  • Crochet Hook – Size G
  • Fiberfill Stuffing
  • 6 mm half round Darice eyes – 2  Note: If you are giving this to a child, use black yarn and embroider eyes, don’t use the plastic eyes that little fingers can pull off!
  • Glue for gluing on eyes, if you are using the Darice eyes

Gauge: Not important

Abbreviations: sc = single crochet, ch = chain, sc dec = single crochet decrease,  sc inc = single crochet increase, sl st = slip stitch, st = stitch, dc = double crochet

Notes: Rounds are worked in continuous spirals, do not join.  Do not turn at the end of each round.

Body

1. chain 2.
  2. 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Mark first st for beginning of round and move marker up for each round.
  3. 2 sc in each sc around – 12 sc.
  4. *sc inc, 1 sc in next 2 sc* around – 16 sc.
  5. sc in each sc around for 4 rounds – 16 sc in each round.
  6. *sc dec, 1 sc in next 2 sc* around – 12 sc.
  7. *sc dec, 1 sc in next 4 sc* around – 10 sc.
  8. sc in each sc around for 2 rounds – 10 sc in each round.
  9. *sc dec, 1 sc in next 3 sc* around – 8 sc.
  10. *sc dec, 1 sc in next 2 sc* around – 6 sc.
  11. Finish off leaving a long tail for sewing opening closed.
  12. Stuff with fiberfill.
  13. Flatten opening and sew it closed flat. (See photo below for flattened opening.)
Crochet Duck - Body Tail Flat Closing Detail

Crochet Duck - Body Tail Flat Closing Detail

Head
  1. chain 2.
  2. 8 sc in 2nd ch from hook.  Mark first st for beginning of round and move marker up for each round.
  3. *sc inc, sc in next sc around* – 12 sc.
  4. *sc inc, sc in next 2 sc* around – 16 sc.
  5. sc in each sc around - 16 sc.
  6. *sc dec, sc in next 2 sc* around – 12 sc.
  7. sc in each sc around – 12 sc.
  8. *sc dec, sc in next 4 sc* around – 10 sc.
  9. At end of last round work a slip stitch and finish off leaving a long tail.
  10. Don’t stuff yet.
Beak – not worked in rounds
  1. ch 4
  2. dc in 3rd ch from hook.
  3. dc in next ch
  4. ch 4
  5. dc in 3rd ch from hook.
  6. dc in next ch
  7. finish off leaving a long tail.
Beak Half Done

Beak Half Done

Finished Beak

Finished Beak

First Wing – Not worked in rounds
  1. ch 4, turn
  2. sc inc, sc, sc inc, ch1, turn
  3. sc inc, sc, sc inc, sc, sc inc, ch 1, turn
  4. sc inc, sc, sc inc, sc, sc inc, sc, sc inc, sc, do not turn
  5. Without turning, do 7 sc’s along the top edge of the wing.
  6. Finish off leaving a long tail for sewing onto body during assembly.
I made each wing slightly different so that the “right side” of each wing would be facing out from the duck body.  If this doesn’t matter to you, just make two of the “First Wing”.
Second Wing – Not worked in rounds
  1. ch 4, turn
  2. sc inc, sc, sc inc, ch1, turn
  3. sc inc, sc, sc inc, sc, sc inc, ch 1, turn
  4. sc inc, sc, sc inc, sc, sc inc, sc, sc inc, sc, do not turn
  5. Without turning, do *1 dc, ch 2, sc* in first space on the top edge of the wing. Do 1 sc in the next 4 spaces along the top edge of the wing. Do *1 sc, 1 sl st* in the next space.
  6. Finish off leaving a long tail for sewing onto body during assembly.

Duck Scarf - Not worked in rounds

1. Ch about 40 (or however long you want the scarf to be.)
  2. dc in the 4th ch from the hook.
  3. dc in the remaining chains.
  4. Finish off and weave in ends.

Scarf

Scarf

Assembly

• Fold the beak in half and sew it to the head.

Folded Beak

Folded Beak

• If you are embroidering on the eyes do that now.
  • Stuff head.
  • Glue eyes onto head now, if you are using the plastic eyes.
  • Sew wings onto body.
  • Sew head onto body.
  • Using a blunt needle thread all yarn ends into the body. Cut off any excess.

Your duck is finished!  I hope you enjoy this pattern!

This pattern is my own and is protected by copyright laws.  It is intended for your personal use only.  All other uses are strictly prohibited.  This pattern and items made from it may not be sold or used for monetary gains.

This pattern and all photographs are copyrighted.

All Rights Reserved.

© 2008 to the end of time – Planet M Files

If you have any questions, you can leave them in the comments or email me: gayle at planetmfiles dot com

Don’t miss a pattern!  Subscribe to my RSS feed and follow me on Twitter!

I love creating new crochet patterns and sharing them with you!

Go on over to Julia’s Hooked on Friday’s blog party to see more great things that people are hooked on!

Tags: Crocheted Stuff · Free Patterns

• 1 Julia @ Hooked on Houses // Feb 27, 2009 at 9:40 am

Oh, this is just TOO CUTE. I’ll have to show my daughter. She’ll love that it has the same name as her, too! :-)

Julia @ Hooked on Houses’s last blog post..Hooked on This Remodeled Craftsman Bungalow

• 2 Gayle // Feb 27, 2009 at 9:52 am

Hi Julia!

Thank you! I didn’t know that was your daughter’s name. I love the name Lily!

• 3 Shannon // Feb 27, 2009 at 11:01 am

I have made a promise to myself to learn to crochet someday. I once took a knitting class but it didn’t go well for me. I blame the teacher, hehehe, and not my lack of coordination. :)

• 4 Gayle // Feb 27, 2009 at 11:35 am

Hi Shannon!

I find knitting harder than crocheting. Maybe crochet is for you! You should definitely try it. It’s so relaxing and when you’re done you’ve got something cool!

• 5 spread your wings // Feb 27, 2009 at 11:39 am

this little duck is so cute. i wish i knew how to crochet.

spread your wings’s last blog post..once was

• 6 Cass // Feb 27, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Adorable duckie! I wish I could remember how to crochet, but only knitting stuck in my head.

Really sweet, and how nice of you to share your pattern. Talent, and generosity!
    Cass

Cass’s last blog post..Foodie Friday, Hooked On Party, and Last Chance for my Giveaway!

• 7 Gayle // Feb 27, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Hi spread your wings!
    Try it! I can help if you have any questions and there are great tutorials on the internet.

Hi Cass!
    Thank you for the nice comment!

• 8 Maya@Completely Coastal // Feb 27, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Ohhh, so super cute! What a delightful little project.

Maya@Completely Coastal’s last blog post..The Color Shell Pink

• 9 ELK // Feb 27, 2009 at 3:36 pm

you are amazing and so full of ideas Gayle…some day the needle will come out…thanks for sharing my friend! ELK

ELK’s last blog post..shades of brown

• 10 shelli // Feb 27, 2009 at 4:32 pm

What a cute little duck! I have never had any patience to do any kinds of crafts, but I admire people who do.

• 11 Holly // Feb 27, 2009 at 11:31 pm

I never did learn to crochet. Too bad; that’s a cute pattern!

Holly’s last blog post..We Now Interrupt Winter for this Virtual Beach Vacation

• 12 Gayle // Feb 28, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Hi Maya!
    Thank you!

Hi ELK!
    Thank you for such a sweet comment!

Hi shelli!
    I like to do small projects because they don’t require a lot of patience!

Hi Holly!
    If you ever want to learn, there are so many tutorials on the internet. And, you can ask me any questions you have!

• 13 anna b-bonkers // Feb 28, 2009 at 7:43 pm

That is so cute!!! Looks like a little friend for gumball and what was the name of the froggy dude?

I just love little things like this! (could never make it, but sooo admire it!)

• 14 Mary Beth // Feb 28, 2009 at 7:58 pm

How absolutely adorable and I am so thankful for the tutorial…if I get brave enough I would love to try this and you have made that doable!

Mary Beth’s last blog post..Chair Redo Inspiration

• 15 Gayle // Feb 28, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Hi anna!
    Thank you! Yes! I don’t remember if SAJ ever told us what she ended up naming the frog. (For anyone that wonders who the frog is check out this link! http://secret-agent-josephine.com/blog/2009/01/15/move-over-gumball/

Hi Mary Beth!
    Thank you for such a sweet comment!

• 16 Monkey's Momma // Mar 1, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Very, very cute!

Monkey’s Momma’s last blog post..Who Would Like To Do A Guest Post?

• 17 Gayle // Mar 1, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Hi Monkey’s Momma!

Thank you!

• 18 Hooked on This Remodeled Craftsman Bungalow « Hooked on Houses // Mar 1, 2009 at 9:02 pm

[...] curtains) 41. Wayfaring Wanderer—Bluebirds 42. Rosidah A., Indonesia (Blog Carnival) 43. Gayle (Free Patterns) 44. Eileen @ Star’s Fault 45. Christine @ Journeys of Mangonett 46. Mary (motivation for the [...]

• 19 Kim @ Forever Wherever // Mar 3, 2009 at 5:07 pm

I could never make this but the scarf is way too cute! You’re so creative Gayle!
    -Kim

Kim @ Forever Wherever’s last blog post..Tasty Tuesday Blog Party Invite

• 20 Donna // Mar 15, 2009 at 2:21 pm

This is my first time here, just looking for patterns. This seems like a nice place and I love the little duck pattern.

• 21 fv // Nov 22, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I want to try this in thread, to make a pair of earrings. I will using yellow thread for the duck, orange for the beak of course and sew the eyes.

I made a ‘rubber ducky’ necklace for my DD, she came up to the city I was in, where I was getting my operation, with DDIL, and zoned in on the necklace, and said she liked it a lot.

She did not know I made it.

I told her I made it and it is hers, she was surprised. I have one charm left and I will use that for a bracelet, so these will be perfect for the earrings.

Thank you for the patterns.

• 22 Free Crochet Heart Pattern // Jan 26, 2010 at 1:56 pm

[...] Visit my free pattern archives for more crocheting fun!  My last year’s Valentine pattern was this cute little critter than my daughter designed!  A couple of other spring patterns in my archives are my free pansy pattern and my free duck pattern. [...]

• 23 Fuzzy Ducky // Mar 9, 2010 at 10:03 pm

hi, i just found this pattern while looking for patterns on the internet, it is so cool

I have a mohawk and some of my firends calle dme fuzzy and my last name is wadle, and everybody mispronounces it as waddle, so waddle like a duck, so that is how i got that nickname

Anyway, i was looking for patterns for a duck, because my friend was have a quince(cuban tradition of celebrating a girls 15 birthday) and so i thought that it would be speacial for me to make her a duck, and it worked out, i crocheted all of the peices in an hour and then the next morning i shoved it in my mom’s face and asked her to sew it together(i can sew some, but crochetiing is my speaciality and i cant knit for my life)

So thanks for making this pattern, it gave majorly awesome present for my firend.

• 24 abraxandria // Oct 20, 2010 at 7:36 am

Your duck is beautiful! :)
    Thanx for the pattern!
    I’m a beginner in crochet. But it was easy to chrochet this duck. Such a good patter!

• 25 Crochet Christmas Dove Ornament // Dec 14, 2010 at 1:00 pm

[...] didn’t used their pattern wings at all.  I thought they looked kind of funny, so I used my wing pattern from my Crochet [...]

• 26 Kendra // Jul 14, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I love this little duck especially because my best friend collects ducks and she doesnt have a crochet one! I am planning on making this for her for her sixteenth birthday but i dont understand how to make the head or body. I did everything else in the pattern but i dont know exactly how to crochet in rounds without joining. I am kind of a more beginner at crochet and i understand all of the stitches in this pattern but not how to do it in rounds. Any advice or tips would be helpful! :) Thanks so much!

• 27 Kimberlee // Sep 14, 2012 at 1:31 pm

By chance do you sell/ship these ducks? Our logo is a duck, and I’d love to make some, but have proven hopeless at crochet….