Free Crochet Pine Cone Pattern

December 18th, 2008 · 48 Comments

crochet-pine-cone

This is a very quick and easy pattern that my half sister gave to me.  Someone else had given it to her.  You will not believe how quickly you can make these.  They look so pretty on the Christmas tree!

Pine Cone

Size: approximately 3 inches

Materials:

• I used Red Heart Super Saver Buff Fleck (be sure not to use a yarn that is too soft or too thin for this pattern)
  • Size G Hook

Gauge: Not important

Abbreviations: sc = single crochet, ch = chain, st = stitch, sl st = slip stitch, dc = double crochet

1. Ch 15
  2. *dc in 3rd ch from hook, ch 3, sl st in first chain of the ch 3 you just did*  Repeat this step 3 more times in the same “3rd ch from hook” stitch.
  3. Repeat step 2 in each of the remaining chains of the original ch 15.
  4. At the end of the last dc in the last ch don’t do the ch 3 or sl st.  Just finish off after the last dc.  Leave the yarn tail long enough so that you can weave it to the top center of the pine cone.  Tie it to the beginning yarn tail.  That creates the hanger!

This detail photo shows the original ch 15, the first dc and the ch 3

crochet-pine-cone

This detail photo shows the nub that is made with the sl st in the ch 3

crochet-pine-cone

This detail photo shows the first four dc’s that are in the third ch from the hook

crochet-pine-cone

As you work you will be creating a spiral.  The spiral becomes a pine cone!

crochet-pine-cone

Yes, it is the only ornament on our tree so far.  This weekend we finish our decorating!

crochet-pine-cone-12-08-026-small

Edited to Add: Check out my October 13, 2009 post for my explanation of why you shouldn’t use too thin or too soft a yarn for this crochet pine cone pattern.

Here is a list of some of my other free crochet patterns that you can whip up pretty quickly for Christmas!

You can find all of the patterns created by me in my free pattern archives!

Tags: Crocheted Stuff · Free Patterns

• 1 ELK // Dec 19, 2008 at 7:51 am

no crochet : (( ~ love the cone :))

• 2 Gayle // Dec 19, 2008 at 9:48 am

Hi ELK!

Thank you!

• 3 Kacey // Dec 19, 2008 at 10:26 am

That’s a really cute pattern!!

• 4 d at qdm // Dec 19, 2008 at 10:36 am

I wonder if I have any scraps that I can make these with? I really hope so!

• 5 Gayle // Dec 19, 2008 at 11:04 am

Hi Kacey!
    Thank you!

Hi d!
    I hope so, too! Have fun!

• 6 spread your wings // Dec 19, 2008 at 12:50 pm

I really, really like that but i never learned to croquet. do you sell them??

• 7 Monkey's Momma // Dec 19, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I love all your crochet patterns, but I don’t know how to crochet. You should open an etsy shop.

• 8 Gayle // Dec 19, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Hi spread your wings!
    I don’t sell any of my crocheted items, so far. Thank you for asking!

Hi Monkey’s Momma!
    Thank you! I do need to think about that!

• 9 Melissa // Dec 22, 2008 at 1:33 pm

This is so cute. I’m going to have to make some up for last minute Christmas gifts.
    Thanks!!! :-)

• 10 Tina // Dec 24, 2008 at 7:17 pm

I just had to try this in between my baking and cleaning. It does work up very fast and looks so cute. It looks great on my tree. Definitely going to make more.
    Thanks for sharing!

• 11 Gayle // Dec 24, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Hi Melissa!
    So glad you like it!

Hi Tina!
    They do look pretty on the tree, don’t they?!

• 12 Pamela // Jan 8, 2009 at 11:29 am

I love your pattern! Do you also have a pattern for your guinea pig shown on top of the page? It is so cute or all of them are so cute! Thank you again!

• 13 Gayle // Jan 8, 2009 at 11:47 am

Hi Pamela!

Thank you for visiting and commenting! I’ll email you about the guinea pig crochet.

• 14 Amy Crowson // Jan 27, 2009 at 6:30 pm

I’d also be interested in the guinea pig pattern. My daughter REALLY wants one and I can’t find a pattern anywhere. Great work!

• 15 kristin // Apr 8, 2009 at 11:11 pm

hey can i please have the patten for the guinea pig too they are so cute.

• 16 DONNA // Jul 26, 2009 at 5:07 am

WHAT A NICE PATTERN. I JUST LOVE PINECONES AND WILL ENJOY MAKING OODLES OF THESE. THANKS FOR TH PATTERN.

• 17 hilary owen // Aug 4, 2009 at 8:14 am

I was sitting here with my holly, mistletoe and Christmas rose patterns when I said to my partner, ‘All I need now is a pine cone pattern to make a crocheted Christmas wreath.’ Typed it in and your fabulous pattern appeared. I’ll send a pic when I’ve made it. I’m going to add the odd sequin :)
    Thank you!

• 18 die Ungeneurin // Sep 2, 2009 at 1:29 am

I love your guinea pig crochet .Do you mind to send the patterns by e-mail for me??

• 19 Chrissy // Oct 3, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Hello, I just love your pine cone but I tried the pattern and mine does not come to a point at the bottom. My top and bottom look the same. Can you please help? I want to make these for Christmas. Thanks so much!

• 20 Crochet Pine Cones // Oct 13, 2009 at 10:46 am

[...] year I posted a free crochet pine cone pattern.  Here is a [...]

• 21 Lorelai // Oct 29, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Hi. I am translating this pattern and spreading it here, in sweden. Soon there will be crowing beatiful crochet pinecone here aswell, all thanks to you. :D Thank you.
    I will absolutley link this site so that everyone can se where it got started. They are stunning.

• 22 sandie // Nov 18, 2009 at 11:38 am

Saw this pine cone inst. thirty years ago. Lost pattern. Thank you so much.
    sandie

• 23 Diane // Nov 30, 2009 at 1:02 pm

May I suggest altering the first step in the pattern to read:
    “…Repeat this step 3 more times in same chain that the first dc was made in.”

It was confusing to me what “3rd ch from hook” I was supposed to the dc in when I tried the pattern. I had to come back and look at the pictures because I didn’t print them.

Thanks for the pattern!

• 24 Free Crochet Christmas Tree Pattern // Dec 3, 2009 at 11:15 am

[...] I was making one of my crochet pine cones, I got an idea!  Why not make a few pattern adjustments, flip it upside down, and…a pine [...]

• 25 Diane // Dec 21, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I love the pattern for the pinecone. Can’t wait to make some this evening.
    I would also love the guinea pig pattern. We had one and it would be really great to be able to make one.

• 26 Angie // Dec 24, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Mine did not turn out so nice as yours. Not sure what I missed. Am making mini-stockings now.
    .-= Angie´s last blog ..Why Me, Why Now? =-.

• 27 Stacy // Feb 3, 2010 at 11:43 am

hi, i love the patterns you use to make these things. they are too cute. I was also wondering about the guinea pig pattern. IS the only way to get it in your shop? I cant afford to buy it but i love it. i have 3 piggies of my own, woldlove to make one too. lol

• 28 Whitney // Mar 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Hi Gayle!

I found out with certain yarns and threads I can’t make the lovely hearts, but I found some that I can. Anyhow, I was wondering where the lovely guinea pig pattern was. I cannot even find it on your site for sale! Please let me know. I have a friend that I would love to make some for.

• 29 minna // Apr 1, 2010 at 10:27 am

I love your work, but I would really be glad if I know the hamster pattern they are so cute. I ve just started crocheting, and so far I ve only been able to make a mouse ;P

• 30 Cindy Beckman // May 2, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I would to have the pattern for the guinea pigs. I couldn’t find it on this site – could you send it to me? I plan to make the pine cone tree ornaments for my kids for this Christmas. I would love to make a few guinea pigs too for the guinea pig lovers in my family. thanks

• 31 Kimara // Sep 1, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I’ve been looking for a wool pine cone. This is great. Thanks. I’ll be linking on Facebook.

• 32 SSS Withdrawal! « KristenMakes // Oct 11, 2010 at 3:21 pm

[...] what fall knitting/crochet patterns we could decorate our flat with.  Enter an array of acorns, pinecones and [...]

• 33 Patty // Oct 28, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I would very much like to try crocheting this pine cone! I’ve tried to print the directions , but all that prints are the pictures on the left and the info at the top. Please Help!

• 34 Pinecone | Infinite Skeins // Jan 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm

[...] This is a quick and easy one.  Last year I made a bunch of these to decorate our Christmas tree. Also, these make decent cat toys. There are many patterns for pinecones online, but I chose to follow this one on the Planet M Files blog. [...]

• 35 Inspiring Traditional Christmas Crafts to Do with Children | Home Educating the Puddle Chicks. // Nov 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm

[...] Crochet pine cones like these ones. There is a free pattern here but I also wondered if twisting up random style ‘coral’ crochet might work, as a way of [...]

• 36 Aliz Matza // Nov 22, 2011 at 9:48 am

this is a really cute pattern.I had only a white yarn at hand so i tried it and it came out so cute. I used a 3,0 crochet hook and the pine-cone came out to be around 3 cm…I’ll make them for earrings too…thanks for the pattern…I posted my work on the Crochet Crowd’s facebook and your link too. THANXX :-)

• 37 Robin // Apr 15, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I love this pattern. I have made several of them as little gifts. These are so easy, I have a brown that I have been using and tying a red or green bow on top. I have also sent other crocheters here to get your pattern.

• 38 nancy capps // Sep 11, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Hello and thank you for this pattern but I am stuck. At the end of 2 where you slip stick. I am there-the next thing is to do is repeat step 2. That means I double crochet at the third chain from the hook-I am not sure where to find since my last was a slip stitch. Thank you. Nancy

• 39 Line // Oct 12, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Thank you for such such a lovely pattern . These pinecones are superb.

• 40 Dawn // Nov 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Oh I can’t wait to try these! :) your picture of the pine cone on the tree is so adorable! :) Thank you so much for sharing this!

• 41 Cherishables // Nov 28, 2012 at 8:22 am

Love these! I would like to link your pattern from my blog: cherishables-handcrafts.blogspot.com as part of my Christmas Countdown beginning 12/1/12. Thanks!

• 42 Christmas Tree Ornaments | The Crochet Ninja // Jan 1, 2013 at 9:06 pm

[...] The pine cones were very easy to make. I would suggest though that you make the starting chain VERY loose. I’m pretty sure I lost a couple of stitches in the first few I made. I used Red Heart worsted weight yarn for this. They do sag quite a bit right now. If they still sag too much when I hang them on the tree in December I think I will run some thread from the top to the bottom to help themhold their shape better. A stiffer yarn would probably solve this. The pattern is here: http://planetmfiles.com/2008/12/18/free-crochet-pine-cone-pattern/ [...]

• 43 Home made Christmas - Page 3 // Oct 2, 2013 at 2:08 pm

[…] Free Crochet Pine Cone Pattern crochet pine cone pattern. easy to follow, but i would chain 25. Reply With Quote […]

• 44 Shannon, aka "Auntie" // Oct 5, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Tried this but can’t figure out where to weave the yarn through or how to twist the spiral. Mine doesn’t look like the picture. It looks a mess. Help please. Thanks.

• 45 Manualidades de otoño | La Nave de V // Oct 7, 2013 at 5:12 am

[…] hacer la piña de ganchillo que se ve en la primera foto es gratis también y lo podéis encontrar aquí, creo que voy a comprar lanas rojas y verdes para hacer adornos navideños con […]

• 46 Amanda // Oct 22, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Just found you through Attic 24 (you’re comment is right after mine). These pine cones look great – will definitely be giving these a try for my Autumn wreath. I’ll be revealing the wreath soon, so will link back to you if I add the cones. Thanks for sharing! X

• 47 Justine // Nov 5, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Wonderful pattern. I made it last year and had trouble getting it to look like a cone. They looked more like blobs. But I am going to attempt them again this year. Any tips on getting the shape right?

• 48 HSKS 11 – third week activity | Random Ramblings of Celeena Cree // Jun 19, 2014 at 8:01 pm

[…] I found a marvellous pattern for a pinecone at this […]