Sadness

October 11th, 2008 · 13 Comments

We had to have our sweet guinea pig euthanized this morning.  He was my daughter’s pet.  We got him about one week before she started first grade. (She is in seventh grade now.)  She had been pestering me for a pet of her own during the summer and then one morning she left a note for me saying, “Pleassssssse can I have a guinea pig?”  How could I resist?  We looked at several different places and she didn’t see one she wanted.  Then we went to a pet store that had a mom and a litter of six week old babies.  She told the kid that worked there that she wanted to hold the one with the white leg.

The pet store clerk took him out and my daughter sat on the pet store floor and held the tiny pig.  He snuggled with her and made soft guinea pig sounds and it was love at first sight for both of them.

She named him Cheeks.  He would squeek and run around in his cage.  When he was young, every night while we were eating dinner he would run around the perimeter of his cage.  We said he was running the marathon.  A few times in his life he actually chirped.  It was amazing!  It sounded just like a bird chirping.

He was a sweet and wonderful pet to all of us, but especially to my daughter.  He lived a very long and happy life.  He turned six years old this summer, which is very old for a guinea pig!

We buried him next to a beautiful apple tree on our property.  My daughter dug the hole herself and we put some pictures that she and I had made for him alongside him.  She planted a clover plant and clover seeds on his grave; they were his favorite!

We’ll miss you Cheeks.  You were the best guinea pig ever.

Tags: Family · Pets

• 1 gingela5 // Oct 13, 2008 at 11:34 pm

That’s sad. Sorry to hear that. It looks like he had a great home and had a very good owner! I’m sure he’ll be missed.

• 2 Gayle // Oct 14, 2008 at 8:14 am

Thank you for the sweet comment gingela5. He is missed. He was a great pet.

• 3 ELK // Oct 14, 2008 at 5:49 pm

Gayle I am so sorry, please be sure and let your daughter know that too. It is so difficult to lose a beloved pet that has become such a part of our lives ~ the memories will be sweet I am sure.

• 4 Gayle // Oct 14, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Thank you ELK. You are right, our memories are sweet.

• 5 robin-bird // Oct 16, 2008 at 11:31 am

these moments are so important. the heart hurting and loving all at one time.

• 6 Steph // Oct 16, 2008 at 11:48 am

Oh, Gayle, I can’t imagine how your heart was hurting when you had to make that decision. What a strong, brave daughter you have in that she was able to dig the hole for Cheeks. She sounds like a loyal, gentle soul. Take care.

• 7 Gayle // Oct 16, 2008 at 12:29 pm

robin-bird, you are right.

Steph, My daughter is an amazing girl. It was important to her that she dig the hole, and she picked such a beautiful spot for it.

• 8 robin-bird // Oct 16, 2008 at 12:48 pm

a brave, brave and large hearted girl!

• 9 Shalet // Oct 16, 2008 at 2:08 pm

What a lovely long life for your piggy. I’m sure your missing him terribly. I just love the way they squeak! Happy LT.

• 10 Kyla // Oct 16, 2008 at 7:29 pm

So sorry for your loss, but what a long and cherished life he had! Remember all those good memories.

• 11 Gayle // Oct 16, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Hi Shalet and Kyla,

Thank you for your kind comments. We do miss him a lot.

Gayle

• 12 Procrastination No More // Apr 13, 2009 at 2:50 pm

[…] We share our home with our 9 year old Beagle, our 2 year old Parson Russell Terrier, our 6 year old guinea pig, three fish and several […]

• 13 Julia // Feb 17, 2011 at 6:45 am

Sorry for your loss! We recently found out that our guinea pig has bladder stones, we were so worried about having to have her put down, but luckily she seems okay now. Cheeks looks like he was a lovely guinea pig with great owners :)