Goodbye, Sweet Polly

December 29th, 2011 · 17 Comments

Polly

Our sweet beagle, Polly, passed away yesterday.  She was elderly and her health had been going downhill since Thanksgiving.  She always loved to eat, but recently she ate less and less.  She was coughing and breathing too quickly.  We knew that she wasn’t feeling like herself.  I waited for my oldest son to come home from college for the break between semesters so that he could say his goodbyes. I brought her to the vet yesterday and after a quick exam the vet told me that Polly most likely had Lymphoma which had spread to her abdomen.  Even if we pumped her full of medications, she still would only have about 2 more months, and they would not be comfortable months. We made the decision to have her put to sleep.   Polly was much loved by all of us.  When I got home from the vet’s office, even Timmy, our Parson Russell Terrier, walked around the house and whined.   She was everything you could ask for in a pet, in a friend.  Polly, we miss you and love you.

Tags: Pets

• 1 Kim andersen // Dec 29, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I am so sorry! Poor dear …. That is a very hard goodby to have to make :(

(((hugs)))

• 2 SusanD1408 Crochet Addict // Dec 30, 2011 at 8:50 am

I am so sorry . I know how hard it is to make that decision. You can take great comfort in the fact she had a wonderful life with you. I’m also sorry that Timmy is lost without her. I know when Trojan went we were lucky enough the vet did it at home so Pugwash sort of understood even if he did still miss him.

• 3 Pam // Dec 30, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I’m sorry for your great loss. It’s not easy to get over the loss of such a loyal loved one but things get better with time, a lot of time. As the others said, take comfort knowing what a great life that she had with you. I’ll be going through this again with my own soon. I lost one to cancer and now my other one has it.

• 4 Elk // Dec 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I have had to do this twice before and know how heart breaking it is! I am so sorry for your loss..hold the memories close to your heart! xo

• 5 christina // Jan 1, 2012 at 7:20 pm

i have been there. sadly.
    polly, may you run and play and have no fences, in that sweet heaven of yours.

i am sorry for your loss, my friend.
    xo

• 6 Kelly @ JAX does design // Jan 1, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Oh Gayle, I’m so sorry about Polly :-( But for sure you did the best thing for her. Even though she couldn’t tell you, I’m sure she’s so thankful that you ensured that she didn’t suffer.

I hope you and your family are doing OK, and Timmy too. Give him an extra pat for me, please. Sending you all lots of hugs….

• 7 Tracy // Jan 2, 2012 at 5:19 am

So very, very sorry for your loss, Gayle… Our pets are like our babies. Thinking of you… And wishing you all a much brighter 2012. Great to be back after two weeks away at Christmas and catch up with you here. ((HUGS))

• 8 Kath // Jan 2, 2012 at 10:16 am

I am so very sorry for your loss Gayle. It just hurts so damn much to lose them ….

Peace to Polly ….

• 9 margie // Jan 4, 2012 at 2:09 am

so sorry for your loss. heartbreaking to lose an old friend.

• 10 Puna // Jan 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I’m so sorry Gayle! What a sad thing but I’m glad your son was able to say good-bye. These furry mates mean to so much to us…

• 11 Selah // Jan 7, 2012 at 10:11 am

Sending a comforting hug, my dear friend. Glad that you’ll have many fond memories…

One love.

• 12 Elizabeth // Jan 13, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Oh, no! I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Sending a giant hug to you and love to you and to sweet Polly’s spirit.

• 13 Stephanie // Jan 14, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I’m so sorry. I wish there was something I could say… but it just plain sucks.

• 14 maya // Jan 18, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I’m so very sorry, Gayle. I know just how you feel.

{hugs}

• 15 relyn // Jan 24, 2012 at 11:58 am

The love for a pet is such a special love, the bond so very precious. I am thinking of you all in this very hard time. How like you to give me comfort when you have so much pain of your own. Thank you.

• 16 Robin // Jan 26, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I’m am still grieving my Remy and Edie, 3 and 2 years ago respectively – we never truly get over them but I look forward to the day that we will meet again at the Rainbow Bridge.

Peace to you and your family

• 17 spread your wings // Feb 6, 2012 at 10:51 am

Gayle, i’m so sorry for your loss. i know how hard it is to lose a much loved pet.