College Move-In Day & Hurricanes

August 27th, 2011 · 12 Comments

You can click to see the photo larger.

The doors of the present open to those who seek to know what man can do to
master his fate by science
sustain his spirit by art
and guide his life by wisdom.

We moved my oldest son into his freshman year of college this week.  Sigh.  He is six hours away.  I miss him so much.  I am so proud of him.  Life will never be the same again.  Did I mention that I miss him so much?  Each time I do something at home that he used to be a part of I start to cry.  Moms of college-aged children, how long does it take before the tears aren’t right there at the forefront, ready to leak out at any moment?

We’re preparing for Hurricane Irene.  We have food, water, batteries and a generator.  I’ve been hearing that our area should prepare to be without power and communication for five days.  We’ll see.  Thank goodness we are not in a low lying area, so I think we will be safe from flooding.

If we keep our power and our internet, I’ll be visiting you all soon.  I miss you!

Tags: College · Family

• 1 ELK // Aug 27, 2011 at 10:28 pm

what a milestone my friend ..tears will be close for some time ..it really is a type of letting go and you just need to go with whatever feeling, I really do understand .. I know you must be so so proud of him!!

• 2 Tracy // Aug 28, 2011 at 10:52 am

aaawww…bless you…such an exciting, but very tough time for you & your family. Just be wherever you are with your feelings. As we know suppressing anything never helps. ;o) Hoping your son has a wonderful first year of college. And hoping our daughter is doing well now too. Thanks so much for your lovely visits to my place–so great to see you there. I think of you often, though I don’t write often. Keeping you all in my thoughts & prayers as you brace for Irene… ((BIG HUGS))

• 3 Mrs. E // Aug 28, 2011 at 11:49 am

It won’t be long until this is your new normal. Calls and emails will keep you close. You will find this next phase exciting– it is such an exciting time for them to become everything we ever hoped or dreamed for them! Enjoy his stories of his new life–it will help him to adjust knowing that you are happy for him!

• 4 Kelly @ JAX does design // Aug 28, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Wow, those doors are beautiful.

I’m not a mom so never sent a kid off to school, but I remember years ago when my brother left for a new high school about 3 hours from home. He looked so sad & forlorn sitting in the back of the car. I felt so bad for him! But everything worked out fine, and now he’s a lawyer.

I’m sure you’ll all get through the adjustment period, and who knows what good things the future holds for your son after he finishes college :-)

Hope you’re not being hit too badly by Irene.

• 5 Katie in MA // Aug 29, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Yikes! And here I thought I was over the worst of it getting Bee off to Kindergarten without tears. I forget there are all new firsts! Don’t worry – be brave – and indulge in chocolate. I haven’t seen any of mine off that far, but I *do* remember from the other side of things how much more I needed my mom after I first moved out. So maybe that will be your rainbow through the tears! Hang in there, my friend!

• 6 Elizabeth // Aug 29, 2011 at 5:45 pm

What a milestone. It sounds like it is full of hard though – so much change having him living away from you now. {hugs} I’ll be thinking of you this week.

• 7 maya // Sep 14, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Aw, Gayle! I hope you’re feeling better by now. I know you’re so proud of him. :) Hugs!

• 8 christina // Sep 19, 2011 at 9:55 am

hello my friend!
    your son is in college? oh this is a beautiful thing. i am so happy for you all. i know how deeply, you must miss him.
    xo

• 9 Shannon // Sep 19, 2011 at 12:07 pm

yes, what a turning point. and i bet it feels very bittersweet. but you both will adjust and absence does make the heart fonder. good times are ahead. i hope you guys made it safely through irene.

• 10 Megan // Oct 7, 2011 at 8:52 am

Our daughter went away to college for the first time this year. I know exactly your feelings. We have 3 kids, but she is the first to leave for college. I miss her so much, but I try not to bug her while she gets acclimated to college life.

• 11 Se'lah // Oct 24, 2011 at 8:38 pm

missing you

• 12 Alysen // Nov 6, 2011 at 5:29 am

My daughter went away to college also in September. She’s just across the Channel in London, but we converse via Skype.
    She’ll be coming home at Xmas for 3 weeks. She’s so busy, and I try to think of what we’ve offered her, all the new things she’s learning so she can have a future she loves .. rather than mourn her being away. I’m proud of her having been chosen out of thousands for a place in her school of choice.