The Reason

March 10th, 2011 · 17 Comments

My daughter discovered this cookie heart in a batch of cookies I made!

So. I haven’t blogged in a month. I’ve thought about it every day. I’ve wanted to tell you what’s been going on here. Each day I think maybe I can blog it today, but as I try to think of the words, I get all teary-eyed. The basics are that my 15 year old daughter has been diagnosed as Bipolar. She was misdiagnosed in September, given the wrong medications and ended up hospitalized at Christmas. Since then we have a new doctor and the new diagnosis. She has been on several medications and we still have not found the right one. Some of the side effects are debilitating in themselves, and still not enough relief from her disorder. We are seeing a psychiatrist once a week. The cost is unbelievable and not covered by our insurance. Right now it doesn’t matter that the money is coming out of our savings. We need our daughter to have relief and happiness. Tonight is another appointment. Please pray for our girl and our family that the doctor picks the medication that will work this time.

Tags: Family

• 1 Michaelle (Monkey's Momma) // Mar 10, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Hi Gayle! I have not read anyone’s blog in FOREVER. I am so sorry to hear what you have been through. And you know what? I miss blogging! I am seriously thinking of starting back up again with a whole new blog. I miss checking in on everybody. Email me if you want at michaellehall@gmail.com. PS. I still have my crocheted monkey :)

• 2 christina // Mar 10, 2011 at 1:52 pm

i wrote all these words and erased them. i didn’t want to say the wrong things. what i will say is i am so glad she is with you and you are doing all that you can to help her. it has to be tough. your world has to be turned upside down. her world must be so…
    from one mother to another- i am here for you. if you need someone to talk to. i am here. even to listen.
    i will continue to pray for you all to have the strength and that along this way knowledge is gained to help your daughter.
    God is Able.

• 3 Puna // Mar 10, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Gayle, I’m shaking. I’m concerned. And I will pray for all of you.

• 4 mrs. e // Mar 10, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I’m so sorry for you all, but so glad that you have persisted in getting her the right help. I will pray for her and for all of you. I can’t imagine how your heart has ached.

• 5 autumnsun // Mar 10, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Gayle, i am praying for you and your daughter. I pray that the doctors will find just the right treatment that will allow her relief and you rest. This must be so unbelievably hard. stay strong.

• 6 Elizabeth // Mar 10, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Oh, Gayle. That sounds so hard – for all of you. Sending prayers up for your family – and wishing you ease in finding the thing that works for her.

• 7 Tracy // Mar 11, 2011 at 7:21 am

Bless you Gayle for being brave and being here and writing and sharing with us. I’ve been wondering how it’s been going for your daughter, for all of you. Bipolar can be hard to treat at first, and getting the right meds combo can take time and patience… But I pray very much she will find something that works, that offers her balance. And that you will have kind doctors to help you along the way. Trust that in time solutions will be found. Trust that your lovely daughter will be on a better path soon. Please know we are here for you. If you need to talk, rant, cry… I’m here too. :o) Thinking & praying for you all ((BIG HUGS))

• 8 Debbie // Mar 11, 2011 at 7:47 am

Gayle~ I unfortunately can relate to your situation, as we have a child who has similar issues. I pray for the doctors, you, your daughter and your family as you make your way through this maze. Stay strong. There is a med that will help her, it will just take a while to find it and the correct dose. My heart is with you. <3

• 9 Gayle // Mar 11, 2011 at 8:15 am

Hi everyone,
    I want to thank you so much for all of your words of support. They mean so much to me.
    Hugs to you all,
    Gayle

• 10 Thank You and Crocheted Stuff // Mar 11, 2011 at 9:00 am

[…] ← The Reason […]

• 11 Kelly @ JAX does design // Mar 11, 2011 at 9:31 am

I’m so sorry that your daughter and you and your family have been going through such a rough time. But now that you have a new doctor and a correct diagnosis, you’re on the way to making your daughter as comfortable as possible. You’ve made it through the worst part – things will get better from here :-)

The heart-shaped cookie is so perfect – you have a huge heart and so much love for your daughter :-)

Sending lots of positive thoughts and big hugs your way….

• 12 Shannon // Mar 11, 2011 at 9:31 am

Oh, Gayle. This is such a trying time for your daughter and the family as a whole. I have thought of you all often and will continue to pray and send hugs. The sun will shine again. xoxoxo

• 13 elk // Mar 11, 2011 at 10:37 pm

gayle . you are good parents . your girl is blessed to have your steady hand amid all the medical issues . lean on each other, your family is strong and know that I am thinking of you often and sending you thoughts of healing and happy across the miles …

• 14 Robin Andersen // Mar 12, 2011 at 9:57 am

oh, I am so sorry to hear this – my thoughts and prayers go out to your family. I know I’d be worried sick. Just remember, your friends are here for you if you need us. I don’t really know anything about bipolar disorder (except the various meds cos I medical records person) but I’ll listen……

• 15 eslocura // Mar 12, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Having 2 sisters who are bi polar, I can relate to the confusion about diagnosis and medication. The medication does make it difference, and with time you will happen upon the right medication or combination of medications that will bring relief to your daughter and you. If you want to chat or compare notes on meds, (we have been through many) email me.

• 16 Kim andersen // Mar 12, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I will be thinking of you and your family. It is a blessing that you are discovering this now, while she is still at home with you guys. You can really impact her strategies and coping in positive ways while she is a child at home still. We have bipolar on my family and it is harder for the adults to come to grips with the realities of it than it is for the kids.

• 17 Pam in Sewickley, PA // Apr 19, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Hi Gayle, I just found your blog today I just LOVE it :-)
    I’m so sorry to hear about your daughter. I too have Bipolar. I wanted to share a thought, I had some luck at patientslikeme.com it is a great place to find out what meds other people are trying for this disorder. I hope all goes well for you and yours.