A Little Crocheting

January 14th, 2011 · 15 Comments

So.  Not much has been going on here except for worrying, hand wringing, etc. However a couple of days ago I did fit in a little time to crochet a small test swatch of a pattern that I really liked the look of.  It is for a crochet blanket called the Bricks and Mortar Blanket, by Bernat.  I want to make a blanket for my soon-to-be eighteen year old son that he can bring to college with him in September.  Just a little bit of crocheted love from home.

I like this, but I think that I will look for yarns that are less contrasty to make the blanket with.  I don’t want it to have such a bold look.  Also, I need to work on how to join different color yarns and how to carry them up the side without it getting messy looking like it is on the left side of this swatch.

We have piles and piles of snow all over!  We had to make paths for Timmy and Polly to go outside!  We’re due for a small bit of snow again on Saturday and then a rain/snow event for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  I think I’ve had enough!

I hope you are all well and warm and cozy.  If you are able, please take a moment and stop by my friend Se’Lah’s Necessary Room.  You can sign up and send someone in need a store bought or handmade card.  I know that it will mean so much to them.

Tags: Crocheted Stuff · Family

• 1 Heidi // Jan 14, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Haven’t been in the blogosphere too much of late, but came by today to see your projects. I love brown and cream, so think this blanket sample is perfect. Reminds me of my son’s upcoming wedding- colors are brown and green- they love all things growing and earthy and natural. Exciting times! Best to you-

• 2 elk // Jan 14, 2011 at 1:22 pm

i am so happy to see you here today Gayle..you and yours have been in my thoughts so much!!

this is a big year for your son.. I know this blanket will be a very special part of his room at school they need that connection to love and home…

• 3 Stephanie // Jan 14, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I like the colors, too. (I love neutral colors.) Anyway, I have a confession: I don’t really understand the difference between crocheting and knitting BUT I am learning to knit and everything I’ve done so far looks AWFUL so I am even more in awe of you. Your pieces are gorgeous.

• 4 spread your wings // Jan 14, 2011 at 3:03 pm

what a wonderful piece of comfort that blanket will be for your son at college. i like that pattern a lot.
    hope everything will be looking up there soon. sounds like some messy weather. we are just now thawing from a snow we had last Sunday night – which is unusual for the south.

• 5 Katie in MA // Jan 14, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Glad you posted again today, chica. I’ve been checking every day and if I hadn’t heard anything, I was sending in the cavalry again. I think a “bricks and mortar” blanket is just the thing for you to be working on right now! Maybe shades of brown/tan or navy would like nice for the ManChild?

• 6 Katie in MA // Jan 14, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Ooops – LOOK nice. Not like nice. Obviously I can’t think and type at the same time today. Heh.

• 7 lailani // Jan 14, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I like those colors :) But I bet the pattern will be great any color you choose :) Stay warm – I know that is hard to do in any part of the Eastern US lately! :)

• 8 Anyes // Jan 14, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Hello Gayle, I have been thinking of you lots since your last post, and I am sending prayers your way. Beautiful sample blanket, your son is going to love it :-)

• 9 Shannon // Jan 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I have been thinking a great deal about you as well Gayle. I hope things are looking up for your daughter. I love the project! I think it will be an awesome blanket. I am going to try and teach myself to crochet soon. I know it will take some practice but I am going to keep at it!

• 10 Tracy // Jan 15, 2011 at 8:26 am

Hi, Gayle! So very happy to see you back here! I’m sorry to be remiss sending an email… for I have been thinking about & yours so often. Hope things with your daughter are going better, or will be better soon. :o) Love your crochet. How do you work that stitch pattern, it looks complicated? This reminds me to dig out my crocheted ripple throw that wend into UFO status before Xmas. Thanks for the inspiration! Hope you all have a lovely weekend now. We had TONS of snow too…UGH…winter feels so long already…LOL! Be keeping safe, warm…((HUGS))

• 11 Se'lah // Jan 16, 2011 at 9:12 pm

loving the blankie 😉 you know you are on my mind and in my prayers. thanks for the love.

one love.

• 12 spread your wings // Jan 21, 2011 at 12:18 pm

hi dear friend. been thinking of you.

• 13 margie // Jan 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm

good wishes for your daughter. i wish i had your address and i would send YOU a card today. our se’lah so good at organizing all of us to be kind.

• 14 Elizabeth // Jan 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm

What a wonderful piece of warmth and comfort, especially in the winter and before/after exams.

• 15 lailani // Jan 30, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Hope you are well and staying warm – and not too covered in snow! Maybe you and yours can plan a spring trip to a warmer section of the country – hehe