I’m making some of these little doves for Christmas to give to family members. The problem is, I’ve lost the eyes! I had the packet out about a week ago and since then they have gone missing. I’ve looked everywhere I can think of, but no luck! How can something disappear when it never left my house?!? Grrrrr!
Anyway, if you are a crocheter and want to make some of these cute little doves, they are really easy and quick to whip up! I used the Lion Brand pattern called Holiday Dove Ornament. I think you need to be logged into Lion Brand to be able to see the pattern. I made a lot of changes to the pattern, as I love to do! Here are my changes:
- The pattern calls for using two strands of yarn throughout, but I only used one.
- The pattern calls for Vanna’s Glamour yarn, but I used Caron Simply Soft Seasons yarn in Lace color (which has a pretty little sparkly gold bit running through it.)
- At the end of their body pattern, they leave you with a big hole in the bottom of the dove. I did some more single crochet decreases and then weaved the yarn in and out around the smaller hole and pulled it tight to close.
- I didn’t used their pattern wings at all. I thought they looked kind of funny, so I used my wing pattern from my Crochet Duck.
- I didn’t like their beak pattern either! I chained two, did four single crochets in the 2nd chain from the hook, and that is my beak!
- I don’t like their french knot eyes so…since my 6mm half round Darice plastic eyes are missing I will need to brave the craft store this coming weekend and buy some more. I glue them on with a low temperature glue gun. (Remember, this isn’t for children, especially with the plastic eyes that little ones can pull off.)
- Oh, and I will add a yarn hanger to my doves as they did in the Lion Brand pattern.
In your spare time before Christmas (hahahaha, we all have spare time before Christmas, right?!) try making one of these cute little doves!
Are you still working on any must be done before Christmas crafting?