Crochet Christmas Dove Ornament

December 14th, 2010 · 11 Comments

This dove says, "I need some eyes, Gayle."

I’m making some of these little doves for Christmas to give to family members.  The problem is, I’ve lost the eyes!  I had the packet out about a week ago and since then they have gone missing.  I’ve looked everywhere I can think of, but no luck!  How can something disappear when it never left my house?!?  Grrrrr!

Anyway, if you are a crocheter and want to make some of these cute little doves, they are really easy and quick to whip up!  I used the Lion Brand pattern called Holiday Dove Ornament.  I think you need to be logged into Lion Brand to be able to see the pattern.  I made a lot of changes to the pattern, as I love to do!  Here are my changes:

• The pattern calls for using two strands of yarn throughout, but I only used one.
  • The pattern calls for Vanna’s Glamour yarn, but I used Caron Simply Soft Seasons yarn in Lace color (which has a pretty little sparkly gold bit running through it.)
  • At the end of their body pattern, they leave you with a big hole in the bottom of the dove.  I did some more single crochet decreases and then weaved the yarn in and out around the smaller hole and pulled it tight to close.
  • I didn’t used their pattern wings at all.  I thought they looked kind of funny, so I used my wing pattern from my Crochet Duck.
  • I didn’t like their beak pattern either!  I chained two, did four single crochets in the 2nd chain from the hook, and that is my beak!
  • I don’t like their french knot eyes so…since my 6mm half round Darice plastic eyes are missing I will need to brave the craft store this coming weekend and buy some more.  I glue them on with a low temperature glue gun.  (Remember, this isn’t for children, especially with the plastic eyes that little ones can pull off.)
  • Oh, and I will add a yarn hanger to my doves as they did in the Lion Brand pattern.

In your spare time before Christmas (hahahaha, we all have spare time before Christmas, right?!) try making one of these cute little doves!

Are you still working on any must be done before Christmas crafting?

Tags: Crocheted Stuff · Free Patterns

• 1 Puna // Dec 14, 2010 at 5:25 pm

You make the cutest things Gayle! Can you sew some buttons on for eyes?

• 2 elk // Dec 14, 2010 at 9:28 pm

so cute..you know me and birds..i do not worry about the eyes on mine but yes this sweet one needs a couple!!

• 3 Tracy // Dec 15, 2010 at 8:31 am

Oh, this is sooo sweet, Gayle! A little shiny black sequin and a small black bead together would make great eyes for this little dove. :o) Puna’s idea for buttons is good too. You are so clever with the crochet… I’m behind on everything Christmas this year, including some fun crafting. I’m hoping to make some paper birds for our tree this weekend. We’ll see! haha… Happy Days to you all there ((HUGS))

• 4 Kelly @ JAX does design // Dec 15, 2010 at 9:26 am

I can’t tell you how many things in my house disappear inexplicably! The latest is a pair of lamps that I want to lend a friend to stage her house. How the heck do you lose lamps?!

Your crochet dove is sweet, even if he can’t see! ;-)

There are always lots of projects I PLAN to do every Christmas. I never get them all done, but I did jazz up a wreath and made some mirror tree ornaments. I’ll hopefully be posting them on my blog soon.

• 5 Elizabeth // Dec 15, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Your crochet dove is so very sweet!

Me? Crafts? Ha. Though I did buy yarn and a crochet hook in November. And my neighbor loaned me a “how to crochet” book. And have I tried yet? Ummm, no. Maybe that should be my Christmas project.

• 6 Se'lah // Dec 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm

No pressure Christmas this year.

You are so gifted. Always so sweet. Thinking of you this holiday season. Thanks for being such a wonderful friend.

one love.

• 7 Katie in MA // Dec 16, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Ha ha ha – you cracked me up with your dove’s line of thought. :) You could aways give him some cute little yarn eyes!

• 8 bicocacolors // Dec 19, 2010 at 2:19 pm

really beautiful!

• 9 Kate // Dec 25, 2010 at 12:48 am

Happy Christmas and Merry New Year!! May Peace be your gift at Christmas (or any other holiday you celebrate) and your blessing all year through.

• 10 Relyn // Dec 26, 2010 at 1:26 am

I know I’m not really getting my wishes in on time. The truth is, it’s just after midnight, but I still had to come by and wish you the merriest Christmas season ever. I want to thank you for making my life richer by sharing your blog and by reading mine. You are a blessing to me. Merry, merry Christmas, my frined. May the coming week bring you laughter, joy, short returns lines, and lots of good deals at the after-Christmas sales. ;^) Much love, Relyn

• 11 l.rothenhoefer // Mar 10, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I am looking for a crochet pattern for a dish cloth with a dove on it. When you fold it, it looks like a dove???