Sometimes

September 16th, 2010 · 12 Comments

Sometimes I ache, for the days when their tears were from a scraped knee, when I could whisk them up onto my lap and hug them and kiss it and make it all better.  Sometimes I ache, for the days when the worst thing in their day was if their sister or brother messed up their Lego creation.  Sometimes I want to wrap my arms around them, even though two out of three of them are teenagers, and keep them to myself, and never let go.

Tags: Family · High School · Middle School

• 1 spread your wings // Sep 16, 2010 at 12:24 pm

aww, she’s still having a hard time? I hate this for her and for you. hope it gets better soon.

• 2 vchelle // Sep 16, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I do know what you mean Ms. Gail! My daughter is 4 yrs old and I often want to tell her that she is still my baby and will always be my baby and then I want to just baby her big time, but I can’t. It’s hard.

You do just what you are doing which is holding on to them in your heart and memories! Hold them tightly. They will always be your babies… between us moms!

Glad to be back.

• 3 Kimmie // Sep 16, 2010 at 1:59 pm

awwww – hang in there – your hugs and kisses are just as powerful as they ever were :)

• 4 elk // Sep 17, 2010 at 3:14 pm

your words of every mom along with the swings image are so very powerful gayle..thinking of you and hoping that each day gets a bit better…

• 5 Puna // Sep 17, 2010 at 3:25 pm

It’s so hard when they are hurting. You wish you can just take the pain from them. You’re in my thoughts today Gayle.

• 6 Katie in MA // Sep 17, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I’ll let you in on a secret (that I’m sure you know because…well, you rock): kids wish the same thing. My mom can still make it all better, and before she got sick, she would even let me sit next to her on the couch and she would just hold me just like she used to. You gotta choose your moments now and they will be few and far between when you can get away with it, but you can still fix it just as surely and easily as you used to. All with the love in your heart.

• 7 patty // Sep 19, 2010 at 7:32 pm

very beautiful, and i totally get it. :)
    crochetting a scarf and thought of you… i’m making up the pattern as i go. i was inspired! thanks! :)

• 8 Dorissa // Sep 20, 2010 at 1:22 am

I have two- 17 and 13. I commiserate and feel your “growing” pains.

• 9 Se'lah // Sep 20, 2010 at 7:05 pm

then do it…so what if they think you’re crazy…they’ll get used to it 😉

sending you lots of love and positive vibes.

• 10 Diane // Sep 22, 2010 at 11:21 am

I know that feeling. Fortunately they continue to move on and move forward.

• 11 Elizabeth // Sep 23, 2010 at 11:52 pm

{Hugs} to you.

Love the faded quality of this photo.

• 12 lailani // Oct 1, 2010 at 9:50 am

Such a great picture to go with the message. all so true!