Me, Her, Today

September 13th, 2010 · 14 Comments

It’s the third day of school.  I’ve got an anxiety ridden daughter.  These are me today…a little out of focus, looking for the bright spots, doing my best to point them out to her and to help her find her way to them.

Tags: High School

• 1 Puna // Sep 13, 2010 at 10:37 am

awwww…Gayle. High school can be tough. I will be thinking of the both of you today.

• 2 DesignTies // Sep 13, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Awwww, sorry that you and your daughter are having a hard time adjusting to high school life. But things will get better!! It just takes some people a bit longer to deal with change than others. Keep pointing out the positives, and pretty soon you’ll both be back in focus :-)

Kelly

• 3 DesignTies // Sep 13, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Oh, and yes, I’m finally warm again :-)

Kelly

• 4 Katie in MA // Sep 13, 2010 at 3:11 pm

That is me this week, too. I’m reading Incendiary by Chris Cleave right now and it’s got me thinking, “Well, I might be a little anxious right now, but at least I’m not HER!” Whatever gets you through the day and helps you see the shiny, happy things, I say.

• 5 spread your wings // Sep 13, 2010 at 4:14 pm

aww. those first days of high school can be a little intimidating. I hope she finds the bright spots soon. i’m sure she will.

• 6 Se'lah // Sep 13, 2010 at 6:08 pm

a big HUG to you and your daughter, Gayle. you remain in my thoughts and prayers. sending you both lots of love and light.

one love.

• 7 christina // Sep 13, 2010 at 9:16 pm

hi friend!
    i had such a hard time in high school. it’s a tough time. i am thinking of you and praying.
    i love you, friend.
    xo

• 8 Elizabeth // Sep 13, 2010 at 9:20 pm

My favorite kind of focus – out of it. 😉

Beautiful. I wish for easier less anxious days for your daughter.

• 9 Tracy // Sep 14, 2010 at 9:07 am

These are wonderful photos, Gayle… great metaphor to go with them too. Sounds like some rough patches there just now… Keep looking for that bright spot. May your dear daughter not lose sight of the bright spot either. May you help lift each other up. :o) Thinking of you both… ((HUGS)) P.S. I will email you re: yoga.

• 10 Shining It Back At You! // Sep 14, 2010 at 9:35 am

[…] ← Me, Her, Today […]

• 11 ELK // Sep 14, 2010 at 2:50 pm

wonderfilled metaphor with the photos..sorry it is a rough start..both of you hang in….

• 12 Chris // Sep 16, 2010 at 7:27 am

Hi Gayle, one of Se’Lah’s angels here. Like some of the other commenters, I was not one of the “in” kids in HS. I also grew up during a time when what your daughter is experiencing was not addressed let alone thought about! I’ve often heard the teenage years referred to as a “mine field”. I don’t know if your daughter likes to read, but there’s a good book out called, “Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul: Stories about the Hardest Parts of Being a Teenager.” I’ve not read the book but I would imagine there would be a lot about high school. Don’t know if it will help but it’s just a thought. You and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers.

• 13 patty // Sep 19, 2010 at 7:35 pm

-love all those photos, including on the next post- but oh! hugs to her and you and she makes her way through this…

• 14 The Vamp Tramp // Sep 20, 2010 at 10:56 pm

I was reading Chris’ comment. Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul was wonderful! I read it when I was sixteen. It was so good I read the whole thing in one day. High School is tough. Give her time. Things WILL get easier. At least, I have faith that they will. My prayers are with the both of you.