Wildlife Week, Day 1: Big Green Caterpillar

July 19th, 2010 · 16 Comments

This week will be a bit stressful for me.  My seventeen year old son is having four impacted wisdom teeth surgically removed on Wednesday.  He’ll be asleep for the procedure, but I think I’m the one that needs sedatives!  Each time I think of it, my heart starts pounding.  A mother’s heart works hard, doesn’t it?!

This week I’ll be showing you some of the cool critters we’ve been seeing around here this summer!  Today is an unidentified caterpillar!  My husband and Timmy found him/her in a bunch of tall weeds.  Does anyone know what this caterpillar is?  I haven’t been able to find any image that is just like it on the internet.  It is hairless, about 5 inches long, and has one false eye at the rear end of it.  Edited to add: Thanks to the link that d @qdm provided in her comment below, I found this caterpillar’s identity!  It is a Eumorpha Pandorus and will turn into a Pandorus Sphinx Moth.  Thanks, d! (We didn’t keep this caterpillar.  My husband put it back where he and Timmy found it, so we’ll just have to be on the lookout for the moth it becomes!)

Click on any of the images to see them larger.

Tags: Wild Critters

• 1 Katie in MA // Jul 19, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Now that is a cool caterpillar! I used to love picking up the caterpillars, but I was cured of that habit here in Texas. They have a big, fuzzy black caterpillar that has a giant, most painful stinger on it’s backside. You only have to get stung once to be cured of that habit!

• 2 Puna // Jul 19, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Ugh, eeewww, ick…but he’s kinda fascinating.

• 3 elk // Jul 19, 2010 at 10:12 pm

no that is not a favorite…but i want to let you know that I am thinking of you as you go through this week of dental work and care giving~ hang in there Gayle

• 4 Elizabeth // Jul 19, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I remember a caterpillar that I was afraid of when I was little, because it wasn’t fuzzy. This looks remarkably similar. It was something like a tomato caterpillar. Maybe .. I feel like it was somehow related to plants.

Hang in there! I hope your son’s procedure goes smoothly.

• 5 July 20, Summer’s Best : LifeSignatures // Jul 20, 2010 at 5:16 am

[…] been chasing bugs all over my yard…I’m loving Dianne’s spider web, Gayle big green caterpillar and I wonder what Frida’s bugs are doing:) Naughty, […]

• 6 mrs. e // Jul 20, 2010 at 7:48 am

Love the photos–such a cheerful green color!

• 7 Tracy // Jul 20, 2010 at 9:08 am

VERY exciting…what a fun thing to add to the week! I had such a caterpillar for a “pet” for about a week in a jar when I was 8. I felt sorry for it being captive in the jar so set it free… The beginnings of animal awareness and possible vegetarianism budding at tender age, maybe? ;o) Looking forward to seeing what you all find next! Happy Week, Gayle… Oh, yes hubby & I are both feeling much better, and our weekend trip away worked wonders too! ((HUGS))

• 8 Wildlife Week, Day 2: Cute Red Squirrels! // Jul 20, 2010 at 11:21 am

[…] ← Wildlife Week, Day 1: Big Green Caterpillar […]

• 9 Diane // Jul 20, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Wow, great photos of that wriggly guy. I can’t help you identify it though, but those are great photos of him/her :)

• 10 d @ qdm // Jul 20, 2010 at 1:05 pm

This might help you:

as a matter of fact-that entire site is fantastic! They have a bunch of different things you can identify simply by checking of characteristics. We’ve used it at home quite a lot: http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q

• 11 Gayle // Jul 20, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Hi all!
    Thanks to d @ qdm, I have found out what this caterpillar is! It’s a Eumorpha Pandorus! It will become a Pandorus Sphinx Moth. That is a very cool site, d! Thank you!

• 12 Happy Monday! // Jul 26, 2010 at 2:10 pm

[…] My son is recovering nicely from his surgery! […]

• 13 patty // Jul 29, 2010 at 2:20 pm

ohmigosh, where have i been? amazing shots, gayle… love that center one… he seems slightly transparents. and huge!!

• 14 WordGirl // Aug 9, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Just wanted to thank you for posting these pictures and the name of this caterpillar. It helped us identify the one we found in our yard. Now to gather food for him to eat so that we can wait for him to become a moth!

• 15 RSleepy // Sep 30, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Thanks because you’ve ID’d the mystery caterpillar we accidentilly made almost homeless whilst pruning Virginia Creeper at Presqu’ile Ontario

• 16 RSleepy // Sep 30, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I have pics of the exact same critter!