Death or Paralysis May Occur On This Camp Outing

July 8th, 2010 · 10 Comments

Slip 'n Slide in our backyard

My youngest child, my baby, (he’s twelve) is in day camp for two weeks.  It’s for kids entering grades 6 through 9.  They go somewhere every day.  They’ve been to an amusement park (my son’s favorite trip so far) and places with arcades and bumper cars and go-karts and laser tag.  Today is bowling, paintless paintball (what the heck is that?), laser tag and arcade games.  Yesterday was a day he skipped.  It was to a go-kart racing track.  The carts look like race cars and go 40 mph.  The tracks are 24 feet wide and over 1/4 long with all kinds of twists and turns.  It sounds like fun, a lot of fun, BUT, there is this little matter of the waivers that need to be signed in front of witnesses.  One needs to be signed by the parents and one needs to be signed by the child.  The waivers explain all of the dismemberment, paralysis and death that can occur on the racetrack.  They say that you need to inspect the track and the karts to be sure all are in sound working order!  You need to assess the other drivers to be sure they are behaving responsibly!  Ha!  44 kids aged 10 through 14?  Oh, and the child also must agree (by signing) that their next of kin can not sue.  My child was not thrilled with all the talk of dismemberment, paralysis and next of kin.  He skipped the trip.  I didn’t make him go.  My husband was (is) peeved.  Sigh.

I realize that there are no guarantees.  Every day is a gift and who knows what will happen whether we’re at a race track or in our own yard.  But thank goodness we don’t have to sign a waiver like that every morning.

Tags: Family

• 1 elk // Jul 8, 2010 at 11:34 am

he probably enjoyed the break Gayle …the week sounds very busy and fun…i would have passed on that as well tho’!!

• 2 maya // Jul 8, 2010 at 2:45 pm

wow! i’m sure nothing would’ve happened, but it makes you wonder why they have such a thing to be signed. i wouldn’t have wanted him to go!

• 3 Katie in MA // Jul 8, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I always sign waivers like that with “unless it’s your fault” and see if they notice. If they do, we skip out. If not, all’s good. IF I don’t think it sounds like a death trap! :) Maybe your husband could take him somewhere else that is a little less intimidating?

• 4 spread your wings // Jul 8, 2010 at 7:43 pm

i bet the slip n slide in the backyard was just as much fun.

• 5 elizabeth // Jul 9, 2010 at 11:22 am

Yikes. I can see why they write it, but I can also see how reading it would freak people out. I must confess that I tend to sign without reading, so would never really notice it. Bad, I know.

• 6 Puna // Jul 10, 2010 at 6:36 pm

First of all, what a great capture. And secondly, twelve year olds are weird. Next year, he’ll be begging you to get him his own racecar! But I have to say Gayle, good for you for sticking to you guns and not making him go. He’ll remember that you were on his side…

• 7 lailani // Jul 12, 2010 at 9:49 am

Great slip and slide shot! We got a new camera this weekend – can’t wait to see what fun I can find with it!

Paintless Paintball?? Never heard of such a creature, I wonder how that works. Waivers can put a little fear in you – I remember having to sign waivers about death when pregnant, but I suppose there was turning back on that one!

• 8 mrs. e // Jul 13, 2010 at 2:45 pm

That slip and slide picture is awesome!

• 9 Austin // Jul 18, 2010 at 10:01 am

that is intense, i feel for him, i dont think severe injury is very fun(or is it i dont know) he is only twelve(i am only 13) so he and i have a lot to look forward too

i like the picture, very intense,

• 10 patty // Jul 18, 2010 at 7:21 pm

oh my!
    i love that he did what he felt comfortable with and didn’t bend to any social pressures!