Alien Rhododendron World

May 19th, 2010 · 11 Comments

(Click the image to see it larger.  It looks way cooler when viewed larger!)

I almost deleted it.  So much is wrong with this image, but I love it!  I feel like I’m peering into an alien world when I gaze into these rhododendron flowers!

My photo taking has been so blah lately that I think it’s kind of funny that I picked a photo that I almost immediately deleted to show you!   I wonder if there is a lesson here for me.  Don’t try so hard to pick the correct camera settings?  Work on learning how to pick the correct camera settings?  Try to be more creative?  Nah, I know, the lesson is that sometimes there are happy mistakes!  And probably I do need to work more on correct settings and creativity! (Can you work on creativity or is it just something you have or don’t have?)  My mind is full of questions today!

Tags: Photography

• 1 Katie in MA // May 19, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I love the shot – I can see bug eyes! Well…pretend bug eyes. :-)

As for creativity, I think you can practice thinking differently. I don’t know if you can learn it, per se, but I make myself do things outside my comfort zone all the time in the name of Creativity!

• 2 elk // May 19, 2010 at 4:59 pm

and I enjoy the contrasting rust on the vivid bloom…i delete but not often!!

• 3 elizabeth // May 19, 2010 at 7:24 pm

I think we’re all creative, and we can practice it. Have you tried The Artist’s Way?

Ha. I was just going through my archives. Apparently I save a lot of photos that don’t need saving. (Not even happy accidents.)

• 4 Angela @ PeonyPatch // May 20, 2010 at 9:56 am

I don’t know what you think is wrong with this picture?! I love it!

~angela

• 5 Se'lah // May 20, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Psychedelic!!!! way cool, Gayle!

• 6 Relyn // May 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Isn’t it wonderful the way that photography reminds us that beauty is not equal to perfection. That sometimes the most beautiful images are wildly imperfect. I love that!

• 7 Tracy // May 22, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I LOVE this one too, Gayle! “Happy mistakes”–that is wisdom to remember. :o) Happy Weekend ((HUGS))

• 8 patty // May 22, 2010 at 9:58 pm

‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’.. not in technical perfection! it IS a great pic…love the color…. it’s kinda ethereal. and as your site was loading, i was thinking, i really love what she’s been doing with her camera! :)

• 9 spread your wings // May 24, 2010 at 11:22 am

it’s really cool what you can see when you blow images up. i do see the little alien in there. i feel the same way about my photo taking lately. I’m deleting alot and feel like i have nothing good to share but it’s what i love about this community here – we’re all creative in our own and unique way and we learn and are inspired from each other. i love your view of things.

• 10 mrs. e // May 24, 2010 at 11:46 am

So pretty! Perfection is highly overrated!

• 11 Stephanie // May 25, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Love this. I’d like to paint my bedroom walls these colors. So lovely.

And about the creativity- I ask myself that same question all the time. I sort of agree with Katie. I think just trying new things, different angles, etc, can go a long way.