Crochet Afghan

March 12th, 2010 · 22 Comments

I am crocheting a round afghan!  I’m not crazy about the solid blue sections.  I had hoped that when I finished the rounds of varied color yarn, the blue would look more like it belonged.  Once I finished the first rounds of varied color and saw that the blue still wasn’t making me happy, I considered ripping it all out and getting rid of the blue, but that thought passed in about a half a second!  My kids like the way it looks, and I promised the afghan to my youngest son, so as long as he likes it, I like it!  The pattern I’m using is the Stratford Circle Afghan by Lion Brand.  I chose different colors than they specified and I’m using a smaller crochet hook than specified to get the correct gauge.  I’m really enjoying making it except that my right thumb joint has gotten really sore, so I’m taking some time off of working on it.  Our weather forecast for the next four to five days is rain, rain, and more rain.  I hope my thumb is up to getting back to work!

Happy Friday and Happy Weekend!

(Photos are included in the post.)

Tags: Crocheted Stuff

• 1 d @ qdm // Mar 12, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I really like that! i think the solid blue colors really give it something extra…but maybe because i’m a huge fan of blue?

Is that Lion Brand Homespun? If so-do you have a problem with it shedding?

• 2 Gayle // Mar 12, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Hi d!

Yes, it is Lion Brand Homespun. So far I’m not having a problem with shedding. This is the first time I’ve used it in a project. I hope I don’t have a problem with it!

• 3 Katie in MA // Mar 12, 2010 at 1:48 pm

That looks so warm and cuddly…I just want to collapse in your chair with a good book. You can rouse me in time for dinner, and I promise to do all the clean-up. :-)
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..Love teaches you perspective. =-.

• 4 Angela // Mar 12, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Maybe you can answer this for me: I have one of my grandma’s afgans, and it is just soooo stiff. What can I wash it in (or dry) to make the yarns soften up?
    Nice afgan! I like the round!!

~angela @ peonypatch

• 5 Gayle // Mar 12, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Hi Katie!
    Sounds good to me! Come on over!

Hi Angela!
    Do you know what kind of yarn she used? If it is acrylic or some other man-made fiber, I think you could wash it. I would use Delicate cycle and cool water and the shortest amount of wash time, just to be safe, and gentle, low heat in the dryer. I think it would soften it. If it’s made of wool or other animal fiber, I think you have to be very careful with washing. I would do a search on the internet to get advice on washing it then.

• 6 Ambar // Mar 12, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I just “landed” here because of the afghan post. :)

Gayle: Beautiful afghan, and yes, the blue is so blue, but it’s beautiful, too.

Stiff afghan: if it’s acrylic or yarn, wash in gentle cycle with 1 or 2 tablespoons of vinegar, white, in the rinse. The smell will go away.

ambar in puerto rico
    .-= Ambar´s last blog ..Quote of the Week =-.

• 7 elk // Mar 12, 2010 at 6:55 pm

it is very pretty..such rich tones..have not ever seen a round one

• 8 Se'lah // Mar 13, 2010 at 9:35 am

Your round afghan is not only unique but beautiful…i bet it will be quite cozy as well. You do such wonderful work with your hands.

xo
    .-= Se’lah´s last blog ..sending lots of love your way… =-.

• 9 Tracy // Mar 14, 2010 at 7:32 am

A circle–I love it, Gayle! That bright blue color in the mix there is fantastic, really “pops”–I like it! Great work… Rest that thumb :o) Happy Weekend ((HUGS))
    .-= Tracy´s last blog ..Lemonade Light Make Believe =-.

• 10 Puna // Mar 14, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Gayle it’s beautiful! Don’t you dare rip it out!
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..What To Do On A Gray Rainy Day =-.

• 11 DesignTies // Mar 14, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I’ve never seen a round afghan before — that’s pretty cool :-) And I actually really like the blue :-)

Sending get well vibes to your thumb!!

Kelly
    .-= DesignTies´s last blog ..The real & official kitchen makeover post =-.

• 12 mrs. e // Mar 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I’ve never seen a round afghan, but I really like it. So sorry about your thumb. I feel your pain– literally. (My thumb is what kills me, too!)
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..Just a couple of things =-.

• 13 elizabeth // Mar 16, 2010 at 12:45 am

I like the look of the blue. In the second shot, the blue looks as though it belongs. (Though, I am a fan of blue. :)
    .-= elizabeth´s last blog ..atlas has a birth day! =-.

• 14 Fuzzy Duck // Mar 16, 2010 at 8:08 pm

it looks super cool, i feel bad for your thumb, the same thing happens to my left hand index finger, i wrap the yarn around it, so now the skin is always being annoying

• 15 patty // Mar 16, 2010 at 10:15 pm

i tried leaving a post here yesterday, but i guess it didn’t ‘take’… i love the blue, really! all the colors are wonderful and great together, but that blue pops…
    .-= patty´s last blog ..Restoring Jane: Magnesium & My 1st Give Away =-.

• 16 Kimmie // Mar 19, 2010 at 8:32 pm

it’s wonderful when the kids love what we make. my littlest loved my disastrous blue cat I made a few weeks ago. she named it Sue.

Silly + Blue = Sue

kids are so important in keeping us grounded
    .-= Kimmie´s last blog ..front door =-.

• 17 Random Questions // Mar 29, 2010 at 11:49 am

[…] do you think of my crochet afghan? http://planetmfiles.com/2010/03/12/crochet-afghan/ I really like the pattern! 2 weeks […]

• 18 Finished! // Mar 31, 2010 at 11:55 am

• 19 Karen Hoskins // Jul 23, 2012 at 11:35 am

do you have a pattern for your round afghan ,i saw one here i like, and i would like to have the pattern if i can, my e-mail is coolcat234@msn.com

• 20 Gayle // Jul 26, 2012 at 7:49 am

Hi Karen!

The pattern is on LionBrand.com. It is the Stratford Circle Afghan. Here is
    a link to it: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90097AD.html?r=1

I think you have to register with Lion Brand’s site to be able to view their
    patterns.

• 21 Toni // Jan 25, 2013 at 11:37 am

I have a very blue wall and tan on others would love to know the colors you used in this afghan!! It would match my room perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 22 Gayle // Jan 25, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Hi Toni,

Thank you for visiting!

That was a long time ago! I looked on the internet to see if I could remember the colors I used. I think they might have been Montana Sky, Earth, Painted Desert and Cream. I am least sure about the light brown being “Cream”. On the internet pictures Cream looks too light.

Hope this helps!