Snow In Black and White

February 17th, 2010 · 17 Comments

Click on any photo to make it bigger.

I had no idea my camera was set to black and white until this last photo below.  I checked the screen after I took it and saw that the brick wasn’t red!  Sheesh!  It was a happy mistake though.  These photos put me into a very nostalgic mood.  They remind me so much of the photos my father took of snowstorms, back in the days of black and white film.  I love black and white photography, but when I pick up my camera, somehow, I forget that I love it and almost always shoot in color.  When I visit ELK’s newest blog, red or gray black and white, I remember…

Tags: Photography

• 1 spread your wings // Feb 17, 2010 at 10:19 am

I agree there is something so wonderful and nostalgic – arty too – about black and white photos. these are beautiful.
    .-= spread your wings´s last blog ..lovely =-.

• 2 Gayle // Feb 17, 2010 at 10:36 am

Thank you, Leslye!

• 3 DesignTies // Feb 17, 2010 at 11:05 am

I think it’s Bob Ross who says “there are no mistakes, just happy accidents” :-) Aren’t you happy you didn’t realize your camera was set to B&W till after you took all these wonderful photos :-)

Kelly

• 4 Gayle // Feb 17, 2010 at 11:09 am

Yes, I am, Kelly!

• 5 Se'Lah // Feb 17, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I absolutely love your pics, Gayle. They are beautiful!!! Love the 2nd one with the gate especially.

• 6 Kimmie // Feb 17, 2010 at 12:56 pm

amazing shots Gayle! I, too, am inspired by ELK …. but I’m so habitual about my color setting …. point and shoot and whoops! it’s in color again!
    .-= Kimmie´s last blog ..something my dad said =-.

• 7 Angela // Feb 17, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Is this at your house? Beautiful!! Snow is especially pretty when shot in black/white.

~angela @ peonypatch

• 8 Angela // Feb 17, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I love the fact that Kelly brought up Bob Ross’ name, too!! Cracks me up!

~angela @ peonypatch
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..Ash Wednesday =-.

• 9 Katie in MA // Feb 17, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Hope you’re staying warm in all that snow! Looks like our yard from last week… How often can I say THAT about TX and NY? :)
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..They’ll make such cute little gamblers. =-.

• 10 Tracy // Feb 18, 2010 at 7:46 am

Fantastically, beautifully captured snow, Gayle… Winter Wonderland, says these photos… It’s been snowing off & on here all week… I think we’ll be having another weekend in–LOL! Happy Days :o) ((HUGS))

• 11 patty // Feb 18, 2010 at 12:10 pm

oh! you got snowed under! beautiful shots, random surprise… kinda like serendipity, hmm? :)
    .-= patty´s last blog ..isn’t she lovely? =-.

• 12 red or gray black and white // Feb 18, 2010 at 3:25 pm

oh wow gayle this made me swoon when i opened it…i think snow is so lovely in black and white.

Thank you for your very kind words…it is an interesting process.and I am glad you were set to b/w for these!

.elk

• 13 christina // Feb 18, 2010 at 8:41 pm

these are gorgeous! you captured the b&w perfect.
    xo
    .-= christina´s last blog ..that new baby smell =-.

• 14 mrs. e // Feb 19, 2010 at 7:25 am

I love b & w, too! These are amazing. They remind me of the photos of my childhood, too!

PS. I am enjoying my heart bookmark! I *heart* you!!
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..Best Moments of the Week =-.

• 15 margie // Feb 19, 2010 at 9:06 am

beautiful black and white.
    .-= margie´s last blog ..Time to get up! =-.

• 16 Diane // Feb 19, 2010 at 10:46 am

I love black and white a LOT. In fact, I convert many of my photos to black and white in post processing. I love how you captured the snow falling — not always easy to capture
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Featured || Hythe-Grande Prairie (Alberta) Photographer =-.

• 17 qerat // Feb 19, 2010 at 5:34 pm