Winter Garden

January 21st, 2010 · 9 Comments

(Click to see the Dusty Miller larger)

When I was younger I didn’t like Dusty Miller.  It doesn’t flower.  There were so many beautiful flowers that I could plant in the spring.  Flashy, showy, beautiful flowers.  Dusty Miller seemed dull and boring to me.  My opinion has changed.  A few years ago one of my children picked Dusty Miller as the plant they wanted to put into our spring flower garden.  I thought, “Ick,” but bought it anyway because I wanted my kids to have the plants they liked, too.

It’s not bright and showy, it’s quiet and unassuming.  The colorful flowers of the other plants are long gone now.  The first frost put an end to them.  The Dusty Miller looks like it does in the top photo, even now…in January, in the Northeastern US, surrounded by snow!  Oh, I think the plant is dead now, but still the beauty remains.  I know now that the showy flowers have their place in my garden, and so does the quiet and enduring Dusty Miller.

“The poetry of the earth is never dead.” ~ John Keats

Tags: Home & Garden · Photography

• 1 Puna // Jan 21, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I had some of these in a pot on my porch. You’re right…it’s not flashy, just unassumingly itself. That’s what I like about it!
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..Some Happy Things =-.

• 2 elk // Jan 21, 2010 at 2:09 pm

one of my very favorites in a garden….it does flower where i live bright yellow …I think it may be because of the l0nger growing season? Anyway you look at it it is a unique plant and you captured it so well!

• 3 Katie in MA // Jan 21, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I’ve never been a big fan, but I love the way you wrote about them! Hmmm….I might have to rethink my position. :) Also, I think you should come plant my garden. I love the way they look but I have a black thumb!
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..Dominate, dominate, dominate. =-.

• 4 mrs. e // Jan 21, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I’m thinking I might have to revisit this, too!
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..Happy Birthday, Dad =-.

• 5 Shannon // Jan 22, 2010 at 12:25 am

They are quite gorgeous! Glad you are feeling better!

• 6 Tracy // Jan 22, 2010 at 10:47 am

Hi, Gayle! I always have Dusty Miller in the, I like the silver-green and velvet touch–it off-sets other flowers nearby so beautifully. I actually will flower if you let to go long enough, the flowers are are small and yellow. I tend not to let mine flower though, as I don’t really like yellow flowers much… LOL! LOVE these photos. Happy Weekend to you & yours… Hope you are feeling better. :o) ((HUGS))

• 7 christina // Jan 24, 2010 at 3:30 pm

i don’t know if i have ever seen them up close.
    i think i may like them, a lot. : )
    so glad you are feeling better.
    xo
    .-= christina´s last blog ..simple info- part 3 =-.

• 8 patty // Jan 25, 2010 at 1:45 am

so striking! especially like the first photo! think it’s that rounding, chandelier look…
    .-= patty´s last blog ..and while we played =-.

• 9 sunnymama // Feb 2, 2010 at 4:05 am

We have a plant that is similar to this in our garden. Your pictures are gorgeous and it is very striking. :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Batik Frog Wall Hanging GIVEAWAY =-.