Monday Memories: The Forty-fifth!

January 10th, 2010 · 14 Comments

I am having food and family related memories this week.  I made these anise cookies during the week between Christmas and New Year’s.  Mmmm, they were so good!

I got the recipe from my aunt many years ago.  She’s the aunt that was sitting next to me, wearing the “Sock it to me” sombrero, in the Tijuana, Mexico photo from last week’s Monday Memories.  She is suffering from Alzheimers now and has been for several years.  She doesn’t know who anyone is anymore, not even her husband.  I’m thankful that she shared this recipe with me when she was still able to.  I’ve been thinking about how she told me many years ago that she had a recipe for a special Christmas Eve olive and anchovy sauce that was in my uncle’s family and was passed down to her by her mother-in-law (my uncle’s mother.)  My aunt told me that she would not share it with anyone, not even my uncle’s family members.  I think that that is very sad because it is no longer possible for her to share it.

I think of my aunt every time I make these cookies and they are a reminder to me to share what I have and what I am…now, not later, not someday…now.

I would love to hear your memories this week.  Go ahead and leave a link to your blog post or photo in Mr. Linky!  If you don’t have a blog, tell us about a memory in the comment section.  I want to hear from everybody!  (If Mr. Linky  isn’t working, you can put your link in the comments section.)  Please remember to:

• Leave a link to the specific blog post, not to your general blog address, to make it easier for people to find your memory post.
  • Make sure your link works and that it goes to your specific memory post.
  • Put a link back to here in your post so that your readers can come and read about everyone’s memories!
  • Visit the other participants and please leave comments on their posts!  We all love comments!
  • Enjoy the party and come back next week for Monday Memories: The Forty-sixth!

Tags: Monday Memories

• 1 sunnymama // Jan 11, 2010 at 2:22 am

They look yummy! Sounds like a really special memory too. My Monday Memory post is the sepia collage which you already visited but I added the link anyway. :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Mango Juice Bag GIVEAWAY =-.

• 2 December, The Lost Month : LifeSignatures // Jan 11, 2010 at 11:13 am

[…] Posted on Gayle’s Monday Memories. […]

• 3 Puna // Jan 11, 2010 at 11:17 am

This is sad! Families recipes are to be passed along! So sorry about that. It sounds wonderful too. I love your bokeh on the first photo!
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..December, The Lost Month =-.

• 4 vchelle // Jan 11, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Hey Gayle! Came in blogland to do a post and to visit a bit.. Those cookies look soooooo good! OMG! You should enter this photo into Home & Gardens or something..LOL!

I share everything, everyday! I can’t hold anything sacred because I believe all is sacred and must be shared!! We live in an abundant world…
    .-= vchelle´s last blog ..Bosom of love =-.

• 5 mrs. e // Jan 11, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I believe family recipes are to be shared with love and joy!! And if you could send me one of those bottom cookies, I’d be ever so grateful–but my weight will hate it! YUM!
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..A Case of the Clumsys =-.

• 6 Monkey's Momma // Jan 11, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Alzheimer’s is a sad disease indeed. I had a great-uncle who suffered from it as well. Thanks for sharing.
    .-= Monkey’s Momma´s last blog ..Meet My Sis =-.

• 7 elizabeth // Jan 11, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Ok .. the cookies look good, but the frosting and sprinkles look even better!
    .-= elizabeth´s last blog ..all is well =-.

• 8 Tracy // Jan 12, 2010 at 7:33 am

Sooo delicious, Gayle…mmm… Food and family memories are deeply connected, aren’t they. I was sharing a story about food at my place today, only in a slightly different way…stop in if you get a chance. Happy Week (((HUGS))

• 9 spread your wings // Jan 12, 2010 at 11:24 am

oh this REMINDs me that we did not make Springerle (german anise cookies) this year for Christmas. We always do! what happened?
    You’re so right recipes should be shared and past on from generation to generation. But also as you say… we should share what we have, what we are… now! Thanks for this reminder.
    .-= spread your wings´s last blog ..coats / boots =-.

• 10 Angela // Jan 12, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Will you be sharing this Anise Cookie recipe with your blog family?? :)

~angela @ peonypatch

• 11 Diane // Jan 12, 2010 at 3:28 pm

That’s a really beautiful memory, not to mention such pretty photos of those anise cookies too!
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Caught Her Catching Some Rays :: Pet Photographer, Grande Prairie & Edmonton Alberta =-.

• 12 chocolate and whine // Jan 18, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I’m with Angela. You just have to share the recipe!

• 13 patty // Jan 20, 2010 at 4:26 am

love the shots… looks just too yummy!
    .-= patty´s last blog ..just he and i =-.

• 14 Anise Cookie Recipe // Jan 20, 2010 at 9:00 am

[…] reminded me that I should share my aunt’s recipe for anise cookies that I mentioned in my Monday Memories post a couple of weeks ago, so here it […]