I am having food and family related memories this week. I made these anise cookies during the week between Christmas and New Year’s. Mmmm, they were so good!
I got the recipe from my aunt many years ago. She’s the aunt that was sitting next to me, wearing the “Sock it to me” sombrero, in the Tijuana, Mexico photo from last week’s Monday Memories. She is suffering from Alzheimers now and has been for several years. She doesn’t know who anyone is anymore, not even her husband. I’m thankful that she shared this recipe with me when she was still able to. I’ve been thinking about how she told me many years ago that she had a recipe for a special Christmas Eve olive and anchovy sauce that was in my uncle’s family and was passed down to her by her mother-in-law (my uncle’s mother.) My aunt told me that she would not share it with anyone, not even my uncle’s family members. I think that that is very sad because it is no longer possible for her to share it.
I think of my aunt every time I make these cookies and they are a reminder to me to share what I have and what I am…now, not later, not someday…now.
I would love to hear your memories this week. Go ahead and leave a link to your blog post or photo in Mr. Linky! If you don’t have a blog, tell us about a memory in the comment section. I want to hear from everybody! (If Mr. Linky isn’t working, you can put your link in the comments section.) Please remember to:
- Leave a link to the specific blog post, not to your general blog address, to make it easier for people to find your memory post.
- Make sure your link works and that it goes to your specific memory post.
- Put a link back to here in your post so that your readers can come and read about everyone’s memories!
- Visit the other participants and please leave comments on their posts! We all love comments!
- Enjoy the party and come back next week for Monday Memories: The Forty-sixth!