Bread Baking, Memory Making

December 29th, 2009 · 8 Comments

My bread machine is getting quite the workout this week.  Last week, too!  It started last Tuesday when I made a bread machine Stollen for my husband.  I made it two days before Christmas, just in case it was horrible.  Then, I would have time to make a real Stollen with a recipe that the sweet and lovely Christina gave me!  My husband loved the bread machine Stollen, so I’ll try the real recipe when I’m feeling really confident.  I need a lot of confidence to make a bread by hand!  Next, I made pizza crust on Christmas Eve.  We had a very unconventional Christmas Eve dinner of Shrimp Cocktail and homemade pizza!  They were both really good!  Yesterday I made Adobe Bread.  Proof of our living in the computer age, my youngest son jokingly asked if it was (Adobe) Photoshop bread!  Today, Cinnamon Raisin Bread is what’s baking!

I love the smell of bread baking and even the yeasty smell when the machine is kneading the dough!  I’m enjoying my time this week with my kids being on vacation from school (although my 8th and 11th graders still have homework!)  I love baking when my kids are home because I know that one day they will smell cookies or bread baking and it will remind them a little bit of me and their childhood and love.

Tags: Cooking · Family · Favorite Things

• 1 elk // Dec 29, 2009 at 12:49 pm

oh bread baking is the best aroma! these raisins are art thru your lens

• 2 Katie in MA // Dec 29, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I’ve been baking with the girls since they were old enough to stand on a chair and watch. My mom always baked with us, and several of our recipes were handed down to my mom from her grandmother. I always thinking of all the women in my family who have baked that recipe when I make it. And I think that’s what the baked goods taste so sweet!
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..Someone fetch me some chicken soup. =-.

• 3 Stephanie // Dec 29, 2009 at 7:20 pm

I always had my nose buried in a book while I was growing up, so I never actually helped my mom bake bread… but the smell of it would bring us all out from hiding and we’d pig out of warm, fresh-baked bread with butter. So good.

• 4 patty // Dec 29, 2009 at 8:27 pm

oh how i once loved a bread machine!! :) she’s somewhere tucked away in this house of mine, but i remember the weeks that i would make bread daily. yum! and that smell!
    photos are great! :)
    .-= patty´s last blog ..landslide =-.

• 5 margie // Dec 29, 2009 at 11:45 pm

ah, that yeasty smell. we own a bakery and that yeasty smell follows us around. on our clothes, in the car, that sweet heavy smell of bread. love it. glad to see you are well and taking care of everyone.
    .-= margie´s last blog ..quazy quips 2009 =-.

• 6 Puna // Dec 31, 2009 at 10:31 am

oh my goodness I can smell it. I love stollen at Christmas time. And your photography is beautiful!
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..December 31, Snow Lace =-.

• 7 mrs. e // Dec 31, 2009 at 10:43 am

The smell of bread baking–absolutely the best! Wish I’d been at your house all week! Happy New Year!
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..Farewell 2009 =-.

• 8 sunnymama // Jan 12, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Now I want to make some bread!
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Mango Juice Bag GIVEAWAY =-.