Monday Memories: The Forty-Third!

December 28th, 2009 · 7 Comments

My memories at this time of year are very wide ranging in emotion, as I know they are for many people.  I remember when I was a child and Christmas was filled with excitement and lots of aunts, uncles and cousins.  I remember my Aunt Hazel and Uncle Hal coming for Christmas Eve dinner every year.  My mom always made cream puffs because my Uncle Hal loved them.  My Aunt Hazel and Uncle Hal moved all the way across the country to California when I was about nine.  It was near the time that my dad moved out and my house was filled with unhappiness.  It felt like the end of so much.

I remember the Christmases when my three children were little.  I remember the excitement of leaving cookies for Santa and sprinkling glitter and oats on the front lawn to attract the reindeer!  Little ears listening for jingling bells and hooves up on the roof!  The thrill of filled stockings in the morning and presents under the tree!  Now they do not listen for the bells or the hooves, but they do put thought into gifts for others.  They appreciate what they have and want to do good things for others.  They are growing into people that I am proud of.

I am remembering people that are no longer with us.  The memories warm my heart and at the same time, I miss them very much.  So, yes, my emotions are all over the place at this time of year.  I think I need chocolate!

I would love to hear your memories this week.  Are you needing extra chocolate at this time of year?!  Go ahead and leave a link to your blog post or photo in Mr. Linky!  If you don’t have a blog, tell us about a memory in the comment section.  I want to hear from everybody!  (If Mr. Linky  isn’t working, you can put your link in the comments section.)  Please remember to:

• Leave a link to the specific blog post, not to your general blog address, to make it easier for people to find your memory post.
  • Make sure your link works and that it goes to your specific memory post.
  • Put a link back to here in your post so that your readers can come and read about everyone’s memories!
  • Visit the other participants and please leave comments on their posts!  We all love comments!
  • Enjoy the party and come back next week for Monday Memories: The Forty-forth!

Tags: Family · Monday Memories

• 1 sunnymama // Dec 28, 2009 at 10:43 am

Lovely post and a very cute picture! :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..A year of crafts =-.

• 2 kath // Dec 28, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I won’t link, but we were blessed with the most wonderful memory this year — David got “laundry” for Christmas …
    Merry Christmas Gayle,
    xo
    Kath
    .-= kath´s last blog ..quazy quips 2009 =-.

• 3 Katie in MA // Dec 28, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Merry Christmas! I wrote about our big gifts this year – new dollhouses! I hope the girls as much as I loved mine.

Hoping you are thinking of nothing but sweet memories all day long today….
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..The year of the dollhouses. =-.

• 4 Puna // Dec 28, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Dear Gayle,

I know you are making wonderful memories for family now! Merry late Christmas,

Puna
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..What I Got For Christmas 1 =-.

• 5 elk // Dec 28, 2009 at 11:19 pm

what a cute ornament!…remembering my mom painted foot prints around the hearth…jolly old santa ya know!!

• 6 Angela // Dec 29, 2009 at 9:10 am

This year confirmed that I don’t like Christmas. I am not a downer, I decorate and enjoy the tree and decorations, but it’s those unfulfilled (and usually unconscious expectations) that we have in ourselves and others that make me realize…I want to go on vacation during Christmas! :) Christmas emotions very much like yours do – no dad some years, loss of a family member, the twinkle of being a child, etc. I do feel as though my thoughts will change when I have small children! (at least I hope so)!
    Merry Christmas, and a very blessed 2K10 to you and your family!!!!!! I’ve loved getting to know you this year via the bloggie world!

~angela @ peonypatch

• 7 Monday Memories: The Forty-forth! // Jan 16, 2010 at 11:24 am

[…] and uncle that moved to San Diego, California from here in the Northeast US.  (I mentioned them in Monday Memories last week.)  Rebecca was one of their granddaughters that lived there also.  It was my first time on an […]