Another Random Day

November 20th, 2009 · 9 Comments

This week has been so busy and it has flown by!  I can’t even remember if I went on my computer yesterday.  I have a lot of blog reading to catch up on!  And laundry, too.

My daughter and I made Churros, from this recipe.  They were pretty good.  I had never had churros before.  Here are ours:

Churros 11-14-09 001 (Medium)

My youngest son and I made Double Chocolate Mousse from Stephanie’s recipe at Chocolate & Whine.  It was amazing!!! I didn’t take a photo because we didn’t put it into a fancy dish or anything.  We just ate it up!

I’m trying to think of a way to get Polly and Timmy to wear a Santa hat and Reindeer antlers for our Christmas card photo.  And to sit together and pose nicely for the camera.  That should be fun.  hahahaha!  I think I’ll probably end up adding the hat and antlers in Paint!

Most importantly, what the heck???  New Guidelines for Mammography and Breast Self Exam.  This makes me feel horrible and scared for women.  Don’t we all know women that have been diagnosed in their 40’s?   This report says not enough women in their 40’s have been diagnosed to make it worth it.  What???  One woman diagnosed makes it worth it!!!   If you haven’t already done so, please read these blog posts:

This week when I had my mammography and breast ultrasound, the radiologist spoke to me.  Then the next day I saw my gynecologist.  (Yeah, it was a fun week.)  Both of them reminded me to be sure to get my annual breast MRI, a test that I started getting two years ago.  Both doctors told me that it is the best test for detecting breast cancer early.  But, usually insurance companies won’t pay for it.  Why doesn’t this panel of experts recommend annual breast MRI’s?  Oh, right, the cost vs. lives saved doesn’t make it cost effective.

Oh, and pap tests?  Forget about them, too.  Here’s Katie’s blog post, “We Don’t Care About Women” week continues. I know two women that had pre-cancerous cells found in their cervix during a pap test, and had subsequent surgery to remove the cells, in their 20’s!!!

If you know of anywhere, on the web or not, that we can make our voices heard more loudly, please let me know.

Wishing you all a happy weekend sounds a little out of place now, but I do wish you a happy, healthy, love-filled weekend!

Tags: Uncategorized

• 1 Katie in MA // Nov 20, 2009 at 10:51 am

Thanks for the linky love – the more women we can make aware of these issues, the more lives we can save!

And now I’m tempted to go tamper down my rage at the so-called experts with some of your nummy recipes. :)
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..“We Don’t Care About Women” week continues. =-.

• 2 Relyn // Nov 20, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Those churros sound great!
    .-= Relyn´s last blog ..Along the Same Lines… =-.

• 3 patty // Nov 20, 2009 at 1:07 pm

hi gayle! thanks for the link! i ran over and read katie’s blog, too… thanks for that info, too… and all this doggone yummy lookin’ food!! i gotta go to the gym…. 😉
    .-= patty´s last blog ..for jeanna =-.

• 4 elk // Nov 20, 2009 at 3:46 pm

happy Friday Gayle yummy food & crazy news for sure…!

• 5 Monkey's Momma // Nov 21, 2009 at 9:49 am

Gayle, I am so glad that everything turned out alright with your mammogram. And I do plan on writing a post myself on the new guidelines…as soon as I come up for air!
    .-= Monkey’s Momma´s last blog ..Chasing The Fog =-.

• 6 Shannon // Nov 21, 2009 at 12:07 pm

It is ridiculous!! I thought we were moving toward more preventive care instead of less. This seems so backwards and wrong. But I won’t rant on like I would like.

I was also one of those women in her twenties where a pap smear saved her life. But they found cancerous cells and I had to have a minor procedure to remove them.

I guess it all comes down to money instead of actually saving lives. Why am I not surprised?!

• 7 Kimmie // Nov 21, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Crazy news is right …. I just had my mammo + pap 2 weeks ago …. weird to think I can wait How Many More Years to have another one – what changed here??? Very weird and random and arbitrary

p.s. I made your pumpkin cake … OMG! yum!!!
    .-= Kimmie´s last blog ..A Plate of Happiness =-.

• 8 DesignTies // Nov 22, 2009 at 10:35 am

Women really get the short end of the stick. It’s bad enough that we have to deal with all sorts of unpleasant and uncomfortable body things, but now doctors say we aren’t worth diagnosing till it might be too late?! Insane!!!

On a more positive note, those churros look yummy!!! What is it about deep-fried food that’s so appealing?!

Have fun getting Polly & Timmy to pose for you :-) Good luck!!

Kelly
    .-= DesignTies´s last blog ..Our much-loved new addition! =-.

• 9 sunnymama // Dec 3, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Catching up on blog reading and laundry here too! Both are never-ending. The blog reading is more fun though. :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Another anniversary =-.