Monday Memories: The Thirty-seventh!

November 15th, 2009 · 18 Comments

Today I’m joining Christina at Soul Aperture for Simple Things, so this is a combined Simple Things and Monday Memories post!

Some simple sweet memories from my childhood are~

• The old wooden plank floor of the tiny neighborhood store where I lived as a kid
  • The wall filled with plaques that my mom collected over the years
  • The feel of my guitar in my hands
  • The smell of pot roast, cooking for hours
  • The soft curly fur of my childhood dog, Muffin
  • Visiting the shoemaker’s store in our neighborhood. Yes, when I was a kid one of the stores necessary in a small neighborhood was a shoemaker!
  • Visiting the dry cleaner.  I loved the smell in that place!  Must have been steam and chemicals!
  • Using paste in kindergarten.  Rubber cement, too!  Loved that stuff!  I never tasted it, but I remember one kid I saw eating the paste!
  • The way summers seemed so very hot and winters seemed so very cold!
  • The excitement of Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy!
  • Spaghettios – Do you remember the jingle?  “The neat round spaghetti you can eat with a spoon! Uh-oh Spaghettios!”
  • Pine cones

Pine Cone 11-9-09 (Medium)

Because this is both Simple Things and Monday Memories, if you would like to join me in walking down memory lane today, leave a link to your blog post or photo in Mr. Linky!  If you don’t have a blog, tell us about a memory in the comment section.  I want to hear from everybody!  (If Mr. Linky  isn’t working, you can put your link in the comments section.)  Please remember to:

• Leave a link to the specific blog post, not to your general blog address, to make it easier for people to find your memory post.
  • Make sure your link works and that it goes to your specific memory post.
  • Put a link back to here in your post so that your readers can come and read about everyone’s memories!
  • Visit the other participants and please leave comments on their posts!  We all love comments!
  • Enjoy the party and come back next week for Monday Memories: The Thirty-eighth!

Tags: All About Me · Favorite Things · Monday Memories

• 1 sunnymama // Nov 15, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Oh I missed the Simple Things this time around. What a wonderful list of childhood memories you have! I shall go and visit Soul Aperture to see more. :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Babywearing, walking and a bit about shoes =-.

• 2 mrs. e // Nov 16, 2009 at 6:25 am

I am sharing a teaching memory of earlier years today. A live and learn moment.
    PS. LOVED the smell of our dry cleaners, too!
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..Stupid Lesson Plan #1 by Mrs. E =-.

• 3 elk // Nov 16, 2009 at 7:14 am

what a fabulous simple list!

• 4 Se'Lah // Nov 16, 2009 at 8:12 am

The wooden plank floor…I can just picture it.

Sweet list Gayle.

• 5 What A Difference A Year Makes : LifeSignatures // Nov 16, 2009 at 9:02 am

[…] Posted on Gayle’s Monday Memories […]

• 6 Tracy // Nov 16, 2009 at 10:02 am

Wonderful, simple, sweet moments…thank you for sharing. Glad to be with you here today. :o)

• 7 DesignTies // Nov 16, 2009 at 10:23 am

I really enjoy reading your Monday Memories :-) One memory I had yesterday was years ago when I got off the bus after school on my birthday and getting a snowjob!! There were years when we had tons of snow by mid-November. Luckily, not this year :-)

Speaking of which — thanks for the birthday wishes :-)

Kelly
    .-= DesignTies´s last blog ..Celebration Time!! =-.

• 8 Sherry // Nov 16, 2009 at 11:56 am

Oh my gosh, what a fabulous list!! Spaghetti-os, and the smell in the dry cleaners, the shoemaker, the smell of pot roast, paste in kindergarten..you are taking me back to childhood’s warmest love!!!

• 9 Shell // Nov 16, 2009 at 2:10 pm

A sweet list..i do so love the smell of pine cones.
    .-= Shell´s last blog ..The Simple Things =-.

• 10 charlane // Nov 16, 2009 at 4:05 pm

a beautiful list, and yes, I remember the spaghettios! :)
    .-= charlane´s last blog ..gratitude:: day 15 of 30 (simple things) =-.

• 11 iasa // Nov 16, 2009 at 4:47 pm

The smell of slow cooked pot roast is fabulous, (and I’m a vegetarian, oops)
    .-= iasa´s last blog ..The Simple Things =-.

• 12 Katie in MA // Nov 16, 2009 at 5:08 pm

I am finally BACK from vacation! Wish I was still goofing off, but it’s good to find a routine…and to visit happy places like my friends’ blogs again. :)
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..Awww! Puppies! =-.

• 13 spread your wings // Nov 16, 2009 at 5:28 pm

i enjoyed reading your list. it brings back memories. and when you put “pine cones” last it made me think of the pine cone battles by brothers used to have. that wasn’t such a pleasant memory – those things hurt! i do however love the smell of fresh pineSTRAW which triggers memories of making pine straw houses : )
    .-= spread your wings´s last blog ..slipped =-.

• 14 elizabeth // Nov 16, 2009 at 8:13 pm

I remember that paste! It did not stick very well.

I also remember how summers seemed so very long. Those were the days.
    .-= elizabeth´s last blog ..simple things that make me happy =-.

• 15 christina // Nov 16, 2009 at 8:52 pm

yum~ pot roast.
    lovely pine cones…wooden floors.
    xoxo
    .-= christina´s last blog ..the simple things =-.

• 16 Angie // Nov 17, 2009 at 5:06 am

Mmm pot roast – i can almost smell that right now!

A great list!!
    .-= Angie´s last blog ..My Wants VS My Needs VS What I Have =-.

• 17 Meredith // Nov 17, 2009 at 11:37 am

Lovely the way you combined memories with the simple pleasures… and I loved reading about shoemakers and spaghettios. Pine cones made my post, too!
    .-= Meredith´s last blog ..stained-glass magnolias, a new day, and coming home =-.

• 18 Relyn // Nov 20, 2009 at 12:10 pm

I can’t even tell you how much I loved reading your simple memories from childhood. What a genius idea!

You brought back so many memories. I could taste that paste and hear those pine cones crunch under my feet.
    .-= Relyn´s last blog ..Along the Same Lines… =-.