Apple Picking

October 28th, 2009 · 9 Comments

Apple Picking 10-25-09 007 (Medium)

We went apple picking last Sunday.  We really lucked out because it wasn’t too crowded but as we were leaving there was a line of cars driving in.  It’s a pretty small place with not much parking, but apparently this year it was discovered.  Maybe they advertised.  We tried to go a couple of weeks ago and the line going into the parking lot was huge, so we just drove right by.  I know it’s great for the owners but I feel a little sad that it has become so overrun with people.  Sigh.  There weren’t even many apples left on the trees!  There were plenty of apples on the ground under the trees – in the poison ivy.  You know I stayed away from the poison ivy!

Apple Picking 10-25-09 008 (Medium)

My oldest son didn’t come with us.  He was at a friend’s house practicing with their band with the goal of performing in our high school’s rock concert in January.  It is a very big fundraiser for the junior class.  He has had a tough time getting his band-mates together.  I’m hoping that they get enough practice in to perform and to feel proud of their performance.  In February of this year he and two of his friends performed at our high school in a fundraiser for the people of La Carpio, Costa Rica.  That performance came off with not much practice at all!

Apple Picking 10-25-09 009 (Medium)

As soon as we got home I made Apple Crisp!  Next I want to try Christina’s Apple Crostata!

Tags: Family · High School

• 1 Kimmie // Oct 28, 2009 at 12:32 pm

We used to go apple picking in Illinois ….. I remember that the little shop sold maple candy …. I’ve been searching for it ever since! It’s like a sugar cube made out of maple syrup and molded into the shape of a maple leaf ….. ahhh nostalgia!
    .-= Kimmie´s last blog ..hello sunshine =-.

• 2 Gayle // Oct 28, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Hi Kimmie!
    I know the candy you mean! I had never seen it before, but this past summer one of my son’s friends went to Canada and brought a bag back for him. It was really good!

• 3 spread your wings // Oct 28, 2009 at 2:03 pm

i always love apple crisp but do try Christina’s apple crostata. i made it a couple of weeks ago and it was very good.
    .-= spread your wings´s last blog ..random / planned =-.

• 4 stephanie @ chocolateandwhine.com // Oct 28, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I’m jealous. I can’t be certain, but I don’t think there are any places to go apple picking herein southern California. In fact, I’m not even sure they grow apples in southern California. It’s just not fair. There used to be tons and tons of orange groves. But it’s just buildings now. Sigh.

• 5 Katie in MA // Oct 28, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I miss apple picking so much! Thanks for letting me enjoy it vicariously. :-)
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..We’ll worry about portion control later. =-.

• 6 Diane // Oct 29, 2009 at 11:20 am

Wow, it’s hard to imagine it being so green and warm somewhere in the world. This sounds like such a perfect family outing. Bravo for trying again even though there are so many more people. I’ve been making apple crisp as well and had thought I’d make another batch today — now for sure I will! :)
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Christmas Cards :: Custom Photography, Grande Prairie & Edmonton Alberta =-.

• 7 elk // Oct 29, 2009 at 6:25 pm

picture perfect day for apple picking it seems…unless your a rock star :))))

• 8 christina // Oct 29, 2009 at 8:12 pm

did you make it? oh i hope you liked it.
    i adored picking apples.
    xoxo
    .-= christina´s last blog ..pink thoughts and bluest dreams =-.

• 9 sunnymama // Nov 2, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Looks a beautiful day to go apple picking! I just clicked on the apple crisp and it looks delicious. :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Leaves in the bath =-.