Pink Thoughts

October 22nd, 2009 · 8 Comments

Is it silly to post a photo of a pink crocheted dish cloth for my Pink Thoughts post?  I hope not, because here it is!

Pink Dish Cloth 10-09 006 (Medium)

I’m joining Christina’s Pink Thoughts today.  I have mentioned here before that my mom had breast cancer.  So did one of her sisters.  So did two of my cousins.  Of these four women only one of them died quickly from breast cancer, one of my cousins.  My mom died from lung cancer twenty years after her breast cancer, seemingly not related to the breast cancer.  My aunt died from bone cancer that doctors felt metastasized from her breast cancer.  The other is another cousin of mine that is healthy many years after her diagnosis and treatment.  My mom’s disease happened many years ago when mammograms were only done after a woman or her doctor felt a lump.  My husband told me yesterday that he heard on the radio that The American Cancer Society has made a statement that they have a new stance on cancer, and the stance is that early detection is not helpful and early detection testing shouldn’t be practiced anymore.  WHAT???  This made me feel sick, and I still feel so upset about this.  I can’t find anything about this new stance on the internet and I pray that he heard wrong.  I want for all of us women to do whatever we can to keep ourselves healthy and to use all of the early detection tools that are available to us, and to not end up unable to because of insurance companies and government using an official statement like that to not cover these tests.

Sorry about the rant.  Has anyone heard anything about this?

Tags: Uncategorized

• 1 Elk // Oct 22, 2009 at 3:09 pm

what a special way to celebrate a pink day…reminding youof the fight each time you use it. I had heard a snippet about the testing, seems unreal!

• 2 Katie in MA // Oct 22, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Oh that is so ridiculous! How could they do that!! I hope it’s not true. My grandma (mom’s mom) died at a very early age of breast cancer. Like, younger than I am now. Whenever my Ladies don’t feel right, I tell my doctor. One time, one of them wouldn’t stop hurting, so I made an appointment. He assured me it was a pulled muscle, but told me he would do any and all testing I wanted if it made me feel better. I pink puffy heart my OB/GYN. Moral of the story is: if you think something is wrong, SPEAK UP and KEEP speaking up until you are heard!

• 3 Se'Lah // Oct 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Sending you a big HUG, Gayle. It’s always tough to lose loved ones. I will continue to keep all those touched by breast cancer (and cancer) in my prayers.

Lots of positive vibes sent your way.

Love ya!

• 4 christina // Oct 22, 2009 at 8:20 pm

i am keeping your love ones in my heart and prayers.
    i send you hugs.
    ps: no i have not heard this news.
    .-= christina´s last blog ..pink thoughts =-.

• 5 stephanie @ chocolateandwhine.com // Oct 25, 2009 at 7:51 pm

I haven’t heard anything about that, but it seems absurd! I hope he heard wrong, too.

Also, I LOVE your dish cloth. The colors are beautiful!

• 6 patty // Oct 28, 2009 at 9:41 am

i’m no expert, but i’m pretty sure that’s incorrect. i’m on an advisory board that works to promote the health of all women. we just held our huge annual event, and promoted self-exams and annual mamos as a huge part of early detection. keep checking! keep those annual appointments!!!
    .-= patty´s last blog ..{hello, friend!} =-.

• 7 Pink Thoughts // Oct 29, 2009 at 10:44 am

[…] you remember my Pink Thoughts post from last week?  I told you about my husband hearing something about early detection practices being […]

• 8 sunnymama // Nov 2, 2009 at 11:56 pm

What a pretty dishcloth! The rest of your post is pretty shocking though. Did you find out if this was true? I hope not.
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Leaves in the bath =-.