Monday Memories: The Thirty-Third!

October 18th, 2009 · 13 Comments

Silly Putty 10-09 002 (Medium)

Today’s memories are of toys!

• Silly Putty – I love when you trap little air bubbles inside it and then squish it and pop them!  When I was a kid I loved pressing it onto the newspaper and seeing the newsprint on the Silly Putty!
  • Play Doh – Love the smell of it, and I love all the cool creations my kids used to make with it.  And is there anybody out there that hasn’t tasted it?!
  • Crayola Crayons – One of the best feelings I remember from childhood was opening up a brand new box of 64 crayons!  Amazingly, my kids were never really into coloring.  My oldest son never liked the smell of crayons.  It grossed him out!  Is he really my kid?!
  • Legos – Loved them, but boy do they hurt when you step on them with bare feet!
  • Power Rangers – Oh, the hours upon hours that my children spent playing with these action figures!
  • Pokemon Cards – My oldest son loved these things.  He knew all kinds of information about all the different Pokemon.
  • Candy Land – This game is ageless, isn’t it?  I think we still have it stored with our board games.
  • Gumby – This one is mostly from my childhood.  I loved Gumby and his horse Pokey.  I had my Gumby and Pokey figures and I played with them every day.  I wanted to be able to go into books like they did and live the adventures!

That’s all from me today!  What are you remembering?  If you have something to share with us today, leave a link to your blog post or photo in Mr. Linky.  If you don’t have a blog, tell us about a memory in the comment section.  I want to hear from everybody!  (If Mr. Linky  isn’t working, you can put your link in the comments section.)  Please remember to:

• Leave a link to the specific blog post, not to your general blog address, to make it easier for people to find your memory post.
  • Make sure your link works and that it goes to your specific memory post.
  • Put a link back to here in your post so that your readers can come and read about everyone’s memories!
  • Visit the other participants and please leave comments on their posts!  We all love comments!
  • Enjoy the party and come back next week for Monday Memories: The Thirty-fourth!

Tags: Family · Favorite Things · Monday Memories

• 1 elk // Oct 18, 2009 at 11:33 pm

you have the greatest memories…each toy we relished and loved…I remember Candy Land for what seemed like hours….

• 2 Old Friend Tony : LifeSignatures // Oct 19, 2009 at 7:51 am

[…] Posted on Gayle’s Monday Memories. […]

• 3 Puna // Oct 19, 2009 at 7:53 am

Slinkies are still my favorite old toys.
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..Old Friend Tony =-.

• 4 Heidi@2Thinks to Share // Oct 19, 2009 at 11:45 am

Wow, that was a lot of memories there! I was remembering silly putty a while back, too. I mentioned something about sticking it to the funnies in one of my posts. I did love doing that.

My favorite play dough is the kind I used to make with flour, hot water, and alum. I forget what else went into it. I loved the feel of it and it wasn’t crumbly like the real stuff can get. It was very smooth. I might have to make some today for old times sake.

I liked trying to think up new names for colors of crayons- impatient pink and jumpy jasper- that type of thing. I think Crayola had a contest once looking for the best name for a new color of crayon they’d made. I didn’t win.

Legos always frustrated me. There’s a lot of geometry required for making those things snap together to build the biggie impression makers. I’d read the directions with my sons, but most models had to wait for dad to get home. The best were the contraptions they dreamed up and snapped together from their imaginations. Inevitably though, someone would drop their masterpiece while carrying it over to the kitchen to show it to me, while I was making dinner, and it would break into a million pieces on the linoleum floor. Many tears and much screaming would ensue, while dinner burned.

Power Rangers also hurt your bare feet when you step on them!

We had a very unpleasant ordeal with Pokemon cards at our house when Pilgrim was young. I loathe them to this day.

Candy Land- I’d stack the deck so the kids would get Queen Frostine and I would get Plumpy, so we could just get it over with already. I don’t like the going back any more than they did.

Gumby and his horse. I liked to try to twist them beyond any configurations they were ever meant to shape into, thus the wire would usually pop through the rubber and my mom would throw them in the garbage where all “broken beyond repair” toys ended up at our house.

Thanks for the memories!!

• 5 spread your wings // Oct 19, 2009 at 12:20 pm

i always enjoy coming here but especially on mondays for your Monday Memories. i remember all of these toys – i still like to play with silly putty.
    do your children ever have a tamagotchi? Taylor had several.

• 6 christina // Oct 19, 2009 at 1:46 pm

i love, love this post. ya taking me back, sweetie.
    xoxo
    ps: member push ups- the ice cream?
    .-= christina´s last blog ..sun books music bread love =-.

• 7 Stephanie // Oct 19, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Oh, wow. Great post.

I loved play-doh. (I honestly don’t remember ever tasting it, but the smell always takes me back.)

I still think a fresh pack of crayons is one of the best things ever… but I don’t remember the last time I actually bought or used any.

I was young enough to get caught up in the Power Ranger craze. I actually watched it when it first started. Then I became a teenager and it was suddenly lame.

My little brother was obsessed with Pokemon. I didn’t really get it, but they were everywhere I looked. Okay, I thought a couple of the characters were cute… but that was it.

Candy Land… best game ever! I still play.

• 8 Katie in MA // Oct 19, 2009 at 5:13 pm

I didn’t get to post ANYTHING last night. What a crazy weekend! Instead, I am remembering how nice and snuggly my bed felt last night and how much I can’t wait to climb back into it!
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..A little perspective is always good. =-.

• 9 angela // Oct 19, 2009 at 9:10 pm

I loved my coloring books, crayons, n markers! Paper dolls n later barbies. I could play barbies all night long!! Candyland, sorry, bingo, battleship, and putting puzzles together!! I miss those times! That’s for reminding me!!

Angela

• 10 elizabeth // Oct 20, 2009 at 12:38 am

i loved candy land too. it always made me want candy. and the idea of living in a world made of candy sounded so very delicious.
    .-= elizabeth´s last blog ..the light in all of us =-.

• 11 Kimmie // Oct 20, 2009 at 2:13 pm

you and I must be about the same age :)
    I love all of those things! I have one to add – albeit a little bit scary in these times – the smell of a new barbie doll. It’s the exact smell of a new shower curtain out of the package – pure PVA. Fume city :)
    .-= Kimmie´s last blog ..on sweetness =-.

• 12 Se'Lah // Oct 22, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Still loving Gumby and Evil Canevil (sp?)
    .-= Se’Lah´s last blog ..pink thoughts… =-.

• 13 sunnymama // Nov 3, 2009 at 12:00 am

What a fantastic list of toys. Know what you mean about the Legos! 😉
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Leaves in the bath =-.