Crochet Pine Cones

October 13th, 2009 · 15 Comments

Last year I posted a free crochet pine cone pattern.  Here is a photo!

crochet-pine-cone

Recently I received a question about the pine cone, so I thought it would be helpful to post a little bit of explanation here.

Commenter Chrissy asked:  “Hello, I  just love your pine cone but I tried the pattern and mine does not come to a point at the bottom. My top and bottom look the same. Can you please help?  I want to make these for Christmas.  Thanks so much!”

Chrissy, thank you for your question!

I hadn’t made a pine cone since last year, so I got out my pattern and grabbed some light blue Red Heart Super Saver worsted weight yarn that was handy and made one to remind myself of how the pattern works.  It didn’t come out as nicely as the pine cones I made last year.  It seemed too loose.  (Very odd, because I also used a Red Heart Super Saver yarn on my pine cones last year, but it was a different color.)  Then I made one in an off-white color of yarn that I had gotten from a bargain bin.  It was also worsted weight, but seemed to be a tiny bit thicker than the blue Red Heart.  It made a difference.  The pine cone held it’s shape much better with the slightly (and I mean very slightly!) thicker yarn.  My advice is to not use a yarn that is too thin or too soft.  If you do use a soft or thin yarn, it might work out if you go down in hook size, although I didn’t try this myself.

Here are my experimental pine cones.  The white pine cone that uses the slightly thicker yarn has a nicer cone shape than the blue one made with thinner yarn.

Crochet Pine Cones 003 (Medium)

Also, I must say that I am really impressed by people that are preparing for Christmas now!  I can not wrap my mind around the fact that it is just a little more than two months away.  I know that time will go by so quickly!  Happy Crocheting and Happy Tuesday!

Tags: Crocheted Stuff · Free Patterns

• 1 Kimmie // Oct 13, 2009 at 12:38 pm

That is so cool! Thanks for the pattern :)
    .-= Kimmie´s last blog ..tea and their teabags =-.

• 2 spread your wings // Oct 13, 2009 at 2:53 pm

oh i want one. do you sell them?
    .-= spread your wings´s last blog ..bounty / illumine =-.

• 3 Katie in MA // Oct 13, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Those look so awesome! How long does it take you to make one? I can crochet straight lines. And doll blankets (made of straight lines). lol I am tempted to try to teach myself, but I am trying to finish crossstiching a baby blanket for a friend, and then I had the crazy idea of building an A-10 model with my 5-year-old to give to my Insignificant Other for xmas from the girls. You know – because I don’t have enough projects. Looks like that would be a great Christmas in July project!
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..Well, I WAS going strong. =-.

• 4 Heidi@2Thinks to Share // Oct 13, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I love these in the beige color. My son’s girlfriend could make these for sure. I’m going to ask her about it. Thanks for the pattern.
    .-= Heidi@2Thinks to Share´s last blog ..With Mondays like this Who Needs Dentists? =-.

• 5 Puna // Oct 14, 2009 at 2:38 pm

I don’t know if I dare try this or not.
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..Corner View ~ The Chesapeake Bay =-.

• 6 Se'Lah // Oct 22, 2009 at 6:41 pm

You are quite talented with the yarn thingy too ;)

How original this one is.
    .-= Se’Lah´s last blog ..pink thoughts… =-.

• 7 sunnymama // Nov 3, 2009 at 12:03 am

These are fantastic! Thanks for sharing the pattern.
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Leaves in the bath =-.

• 8 Cat's Cradle // Dec 8, 2009 at 9:41 am

I think your experimental cones worked out nicely. If you look at pine cones in nature, they’re not all formed perfectly. Having some imperfect cones for the Christmas tree would lend to a more natural look.
    .-= Cat’s Cradle´s last blog ..Christmas 2009 ACEO ATC Swap =-.

• 9 Mearthlove // Oct 23, 2010 at 11:19 am

These are just sooo clever. Do I have your permission to sell these at bazaars and maybe on etsy? Thank you so much for your beautiful creations.

• 10 It’s time to get inspired | The Craft Blog // Aug 31, 2011 at 1:11 pm

[...] pretty pine cones with felt or yarn or [...]

• 11 Peggy // Nov 26, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I was so excited when I found this pattern,but have crocheted thru Step #4……. so what do I do now.?? Do I keep crocheting onto this some way or do I make several and stack them together? They are so cute!!! Thank you !

• 12 Karen // Jan 21, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I made one of these pine cones out of leftover weavers string wool with two strands held together (brown tones) and it worled out great – I plant to make a dozen of them so that they can go on the xmas this year.

Thanks for sharing the pattern.

• 13 Karen // Jan 21, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Here let me try my message again – sorry for the misspelling – I have a nagging headache.
    I meant to type——

I made one of these pine cones out of leftover weavers string wool with two strands held together (brown tones) and it worked out great – I plan to make a dozen of them so that they can go on the xmas tree this year.

• 14 Jean // Oct 19, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I don’t understand the “weave part” . When I finish, both ends are on the same side. If I weave one end down then the ends are not together to be able to tie a hanging loop.
    Yipes! I feel somewhat dense & rather embarrassed to ask when it is probably very simple.
    Love the look of your pinecone & envision making lots once I figure out how to hold the cone together.

• 15 Shirley Reb // Dec 27, 2013 at 8:52 am

I love the pinecone but don’t know what to do after the 4th row.