I Joined The Club

October 6th, 2009 · 13 Comments

That’s the “My Cholesterol Is (Slightly) Too High” club.  Yeah, not the most fun club out there!  But, not the worst either.  My doctor had no specific advice, just eat more fiber, drink more, exercise, get another blood test in three months.  I’m thin, so she didn’t say anything about eating less and we eat a low fat diet already.  I looked around on the internet and found that soluble fiber is the kind that can help lower cholesterol.  Oatmeal, pistachio nuts, beans, here I come!  Does anybody have any yummy ideas for me?  Especially ones that are easy to make for just me, because my family will revolt if I change their diet.  Like I said, we already eat low fat, so they will not be thrilled if I add beans to their dinner every night!

Beans & Exercise 10-6-09 006 (Medium)

I think this is turning into a complaining post because it’s that time of the month.  Warning: Leave now if you’re not in the mood for whining!  I think a list would be good for these complaints!

• It’s that time of the month
  • I’m losing a lot of hair!  What’s with that?!  Is 46 1/2 the magic age where things start to go downhill?!
  • I have been having bad dreams and I keep waking up.  All night.  Probably goes back to the “that time of month” thing, or the being 46 1/2 thing.
  • My husband refuses to go to our middle school open house night, so I need to split myself in half to see some of my 8th grader’s teachers and some of my 7th grader’s teachers.
  • My girl (8th grader) is having tummy troubles.  I’m going to need to get the school nurse and the people in the counseling center a good Christmas present!
  • Timmy has a sore back leg since yesterday morning.  I don’t know how he hurt it.  He’s holding it up and walking on three legs.
  • My husband doesn’t like our vet.  He told me to wait a week and see if Timmy is better by then.
  • My oldest son has a cold.  He has to go to school anyway.  AP classes don’t sit around and wait while you’re snorking at home.  Oh, well, he must have gotten it at school, he’ll spread it around some more.
  • I think my girl is getting my son’s cold.
  • I think my husband is getting my son’s cold.
  • Oh, and the photo above?  I forgot to change the settings in my camera. AGAIN.  I took it it 1600 ISO, which my camera is not good at!  Grrrr.

Ahhh, that feels better!  Thank you for letting me unload all of that!  Now I can relax!  Don’t worry if you skipped my whining list.  It’s okay!  I just needed to type it!

Tags: All About Me

• 1 Shalet // Oct 6, 2009 at 11:32 am

Feel better soon! Our house is also full of the sniffles and I hate that!

As for Timmy – there are two things I’d consider about his leg:

1) Cruciate injury:

or

2) Luxating patella (knee cap)

If you also don’t like your vet then don’t hesitate to find a new one! Just as in human medicine there are good and bad veterinarians. Trust me!

As for the middle school open house … I’m with your husband. I find those events to be a total waste of time. It’s not that I don’t care about my son’s education. It’s just that if he or I are having a problem I’ll schedule some one-on-one time to talk to the teacher. I’d rather have the time to talk with the teacher when they actually know which student they are discussing.

Okay – sorry for the long comment! Virtual hugs!!
    .-= Shalet´s last blog .. =-.

• 2 DesignTies // Oct 6, 2009 at 11:59 am

Hey, everybody needs a good whine now and then!!

I’m lucky, I seem to have inherited good cholesterol genes from my dad’s side of the family. But I should eat better anyway — I snack on crackers way too much.

You could add pistachios to lots of foods — sprinkle them on salads, cereal, maybe use them to replace other nuts in recipes. I have a great recipe for pasta with walnut pesto. Are walnuts good cholesterol-busters?? If yes, let me know and I’ll send it to you.

We have an injured pup too — 3:00 yesterday morning, Kylie came in to the bedroom and Squirt attacked her out of the blue :-( Now she has one ear that stands up and one that flops over :-( I hope Timmy’s leg gets better soon.

Sorry to hear about the cold that’s floating around your house. Eat lots of oranges!!

Hope your days gets better :-)

Kelly

• 3 Gayle // Oct 6, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Hi Kelly!
    I think walnuts are on the good list! I’ll email you. Poor Kylie. I hope she gets better quickly, too!
    .-= Gayle´s last blog ..I Joined The Club =-.

• 4 Gayle // Oct 6, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Hi Shalet!
    Thank you for the advice about Timmy and the hugs!

• 5 mrs. e // Oct 6, 2009 at 2:39 pm

High Cholesterol– some ideas that are fairly easy:
    Omega 3 Fish Oil Gel Caps- Store them in the fridge so you don’t get the fish oil taste. For some reason they lower cholesterol. (Worked for me.)

Walk a couple of miles every day. (Think of it as a photo shoot.)

I’ve been able to avoid medication!
    Hang in there Gayle!
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..The Big Hunt =-.

• 6 Angela // Oct 6, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Hmm…I love beans…especially pinto beans! Even if I eat them from a can, I rinse them first and then add a bit of clean water to the pot to heat them up. Especially good with homemade cornbread. Does hot buttered cornbread offset the goodness of the beans?! Anyhoo…I think I’m going to start blogging again soon about all the changes happening in my life so watch out! Oh, and you still need to visit my shop…you know why!

~angela @ peonypatch

• 7 Katie in MA // Oct 6, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Upload, unload, breathe a deep sigh of relief! It helps just to let it all out, doesn’t it? I just got word that Bee’s fever was from an ear infection after all – I think both of our weeks will get better after this!
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..A mother’s worry is never spent. =-.

• 8 Heidi@2Thinks to Share // Oct 6, 2009 at 4:50 pm

I’m thin and have high cholesterol, too and so does hubz. We can’t eat beans for all the tootin’ in the world smells too awful. I just downed two doughnuts and I’m hoping I.T. doesn’t find out. We try to eat whole grain, no potatoes, many vegetables….we walk around outside together when it works out….I have no idea if we are getting anywhere with the lowering of our cholesterol or not. I can’t swallow those fish oil pills, they’re too big- they’re bigger than a barn!

I guess I’m about to see what changes come along at 46 and 1/2, as I turn 46 this Thursday. Can’t wait..*big sigh*

See what a lot of help I am to you today. I do hope your dog’s leg heals itself quickly.

Eat the fake eggs.

Heidi
    .-= Heidi@2Thinks to Share´s last blog ..A Bee =-.

• 9 elk // Oct 6, 2009 at 4:51 pm

sorry for your list…yes it is going downhill..like magic…i have a 4 year jump on you!

• 10 Puna // Oct 6, 2009 at 7:08 pm

awww…for some reason your whining was kinda sweet. Since none of it seems under your control I think you are okay:) In any case, take some motrin for your monthly friend, no one likes to go to those ms orientations but if it means inconveniencing you, make your hubby go in love, and if the cold were to visit you, it might as well be your entire household at once…hugs hugs to dear Gayle!
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..October 6, Melt =-.

• 11 lailani // Oct 7, 2009 at 7:46 pm

hehe, as I type this, I have big ol’ doggie eyes staring at me from under the table – the eyes of a dog that started walking on three legs the beginning of September. She now walks on 4 but with a little of limp. Hers was a torn ACL, which turns out to be more common than I would have thought. We could not go the surgery the option, so we went the conservative mangement road. She is bearing weight on all fours now, but still does take it easy on the 4th.

Pour the OJ into them . . .FAST!! hehe
    .-= lailani´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

• 12 patty // Oct 9, 2009 at 4:34 pm

one of my favorite snacks: sunflower seeds (unsalted), dried cranberries, dried pineapple, peanuts. the nuts give filling protein, and it’s a textural delight! :)
    also, fiber one anything… similar nutritional values as weight watchr brand foods, but less expensive, and yummy! check-out choc chip & espresso (coffee?) granola bars…
    hope everyone’s over the sniffles, and yes! it definitely feels good to vent, doesn’t it?!
    hugs!
    .-= patty´s last blog ..Finding Peace =-.

• 13 Se'Lah // Oct 11, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Sending lots of positive vibes your way…hope everyone get well soon.

xo
    .-= Se’Lah´s last blog ..Inspirational Monday: keeping my fingers crossed… =-.