Color Smackdown

September 17th, 2009 · 18 Comments

In the beginning of September, Kelly of Design Ties threw down a challenge, a color smackdown!  She challenged readers to try to find the beauty in a color they don’t really like.  I don’t think I have a strong dislike for any color, but  I’m not crazy about red.  I decided to go through my photo archives and to look around my house to see if I could find any red that I like.  It was pretty interesting because I found that I have almost no red in my house!  Also, almost no red in my photo archives!  Here’s what I found looking through my 2009 folders, and around my house.

Red

Cactus 9-09 025 cropped (Medium)

Cactus in my kitchen

Red 9-09 002 (Medium)

My daughter’s shoes

Red 9-09 003 cropped (Medium)

Tomato

Red 9-09 014 (Medium)Brick

Red 7-4-09 015 (Medium)

Impatiens

Red White Blue 7-4-09 004 (Medium)

Radio Flyer (Inspiration came from ELK!)

April 25 - 28 2009 161 (Medium)

Tulip

lime-ricky-3-30-09-008-small

Lime Ricky with Strawberry

Gumdrop tree

Gumdrop Tree

Is there a color that you aren’t crazy about?  Wanna try the color smackdown?!

Tags: All About Me

• 1 Kath // Sep 17, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I always thought I didn’t like red or blue for decorating, now, surprisingly, my house is mostly reds & blues. I have to say that there isn’t any colour I dislike … but those girls at Design Ties are lots of fun!
    .-= Kath´s last blog ..Gift of Jewels v. 2 on a Love Thursday =-.

• 2 Katie in MA // Sep 17, 2009 at 1:39 pm

How fun! It’s interesting to think of other people and their color preferences. Red is my favorite color and it seems a little odd to me that someone wouldn’t like it, but it makes sense. There are so many different people and not everyone can be the same. I am not crazy about the color orange, and I’ve only recently allowed a single orange shirt back into my wardrobe.
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..A love remembered. =-.

• 3 vchelle // Sep 17, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Such beautiful colors!!! I absolutely love these photos!!! I just love color…some more than others but I’m a fanatic for colors! I like this post!

• 4 spread your wings // Sep 17, 2009 at 2:23 pm

interesting project – finding and studying a color you don’t particularly like. i have to say i love red and i can’t imagine there never being any red in my home. yet i don’t wear red very often. Oddly enough blue is not a color i love. i think i would be hard pressed to find anything blue in my home. maybe i should try it.

• 5 DesignTies // Sep 17, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Yay, Gayle!!!!! I’m so happy you accepted the challenge!! I love your red pictures :-) My two favourites are the cactus and the shoes :-)

I’m going to post a link to your smackdown post on our blog — hopefully more people will take the colour challenge!!

Kelly
    .-= DesignTies´s last blog ..Peggy’s Cove, Nova Scotia =-.

• 6 elizabeth // Sep 17, 2009 at 4:34 pm

I love your red photos – especially that shoe one!

I’ll have to think about this. I’m not sure if there’s a color I don’t love. I used to not love yellow, but that changed this year (not that I would wear yellow but .. in nature, glorious).
    .-= elizabeth´s last blog ..the end of my tomatoes =-.

• 7 elk // Sep 17, 2009 at 4:55 pm

what a happy red filled challenge…you found some really diverse images of red…you had more than you thought!

• 8 mrs. e // Sep 17, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Your red makes me happy!! (Those tennis shoes! I want them!!) What a great idea.
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..I Believe in Mascara, Barnes & Noble, and Comfortable Shoes =-.

• 9 sunnymama // Sep 17, 2009 at 7:40 pm

What a great selection of reds! You certainly rose to the challenge.

Oh, lol, did you enjoy the unintentional pun there 😉
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Up Close =-.

• 10 Stephanie // Sep 17, 2009 at 9:22 pm

I don’t really care for orange all that much. And I’d be hard pressed to find anything orange around our apartment and even less likely to find any pictures with orange. But maybe I’ll give this a try.

I like your cactus. And the interesting textured background.
    .-= Stephanie´s last blog ..You’ll either be totally disgusted… or totally impressed. =-.

• 11 Heidi@2Thinks to Share // Sep 17, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Hey, I like this. You did great for not even liking red or having any in your house.
    cactus- excellent
    shoes- love shoes
    tulip- hey, I live near the biggest Tulip Festival local in the US of A darlin’ – this was like home to me.
    Radio Flyer! I love red wagons, especially radio flyers.
    Lime Ricky?! What is that? I’d like to know. Looks refreshing.

I think I would like to try the color smackdown. I’m gonna think about that right now.

Heidi
    .-= Heidi@2Thinks to Share´s last blog ..To Sister’s House I Go =-.

• 12 Maria Killam // Sep 18, 2009 at 12:16 am

Fun post! I might have to accept the challenge!
    .-= Maria Killam´s last blog ..Hooked on THIS White Kitchen =-.

• 13 Se'Lah // Sep 18, 2009 at 4:34 am

Wow Gayle! Your photography is getting sooo good. Lovely, bold, delicious reds.

xo
    .-= Se’Lah´s last blog ..an apache blessing… =-.

• 14 lailani // Sep 18, 2009 at 8:40 am

I like red! I would have to think about the not like part
    .-= lailani´s last blog ..I failed. . . =-.

• 15 Angela // Sep 18, 2009 at 11:42 am

That tomato looks good enough to eat right off the page!! My favorites are the tomato and the gumdrops….could it be near lunchtime for me?! :)
    I think I may have to try this color challenge…although I’m trying to determine what color I don’t really like!!
    ~angela @ peonypatch
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..Johnny Castle =-.

• 16 Puna // Sep 18, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Red is a favorite color. My lampshades are red! This is so much fun!
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..Fix-It Friday, Little Nancy Drew =-.

• 17 Relyn // Sep 18, 2009 at 10:20 pm

I love all your yummy reds. But especially the yummy gumdrop tree. By the way, that last comment was me, too. Not my daughter.
    .-= Relyn ´s last blog ..The Book That Changed My Life =-.

• 18 Diane // Sep 19, 2009 at 12:42 am

I love every one of those photos. I like red. I don’t know if there’s a colour I don’t like, really … hmmm … okay still thinking on it …
    love orange
    green too
    red, white, … oh, I know! I’m not a huge fan of pink but some pink I like just not that pale pink that everyone seems to be so darn crazy about … and maybe that’s part of why I hate it so much! I like fuschia, but not on walls and I’m just not much of a fan of pink, generally (though I am proud to be a participating photog in Think Pink Photography, which supports and celebrates life for those who are going through treatment for breast cancer or who are cancer survivors. Whew, that was a long-winded way of realizing I don’t like pink :)