Monday Memories: The Twenty-sixth!

August 30th, 2009 · 17 Comments

Alternate post title:

Not Goats in Coats

Do you remember housecoats? My mom, my grandmother and my aunts wore them.  My mom would usually put one on in the evening after dinner.  Some of hers had big flowery prints.  All of them looked very ’70’s.  One of my aunts bought me one for my birthday the year after I was married.  I graciously thanked her for it and then left it in the box.  I’m not really a housecoat sort of woman, and I surely wasn’t one when I was 23 years old.

I had completely forgotten about housecoats until we went to a county fair last week.  Several sheep reminded me.

County Fair Sheep in Coats 8-27-09 024 (Medium)

That is some sleek looking sheep in the pink housecoat!

County Fair Sheep in Coats 8-27-09 025 (Medium)

I think our neighbor, Mrs. Brown, had a housecoat like that blue, green and white one.

County Fair Sheep in Coats 8-27-09 026 (Medium)

I’m pretty sure my mom had one like the iridescent orange and yellow (or is that green?) one.

County Fair Sheep in Coats 8-27-09 027 (Medium)

I think my nana wore one like this flowery number.

Where there any housecoats in your past?  Or present?

Now it’s your turn!  What are you remembering today?  If you have something to share with us today, leave a link to your blog post or photo in Mr. Linky.  If you don’t have a blog, tell us about a memory in the comment section.  I want to hear from everybody!  (If Mr. Linky  isn’t working, you can put your link in the comments section.)  Please remember to:

• Leave a link to the specific blog post, not to your general blog address, to make it easier for people to find your memory post.
  • Make sure your link works and that it goes to your specific memory post.
  • Put a link back to here in your post so that your readers can come and read about everyone’s memories!
  • Visit the other participants and please leave comments on their posts!  We all love comments!
  • Enjoy the party and come back next week for Monday Memories: The Twenty-seventh!

Tags: Monday Memories · Wild Critters

• 1 mrs. e // Aug 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Those are so funny!! And yes, Mom always had a housecoat. I never wore one either. But I’m thinking the sheep may have borrowed some fabric!!
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..That Time of Year =-.

• 2 Sister Act : LifeSignatures // Aug 31, 2009 at 7:33 am

[…] Posted on Gayle’s Monday Memories. […]

• 3 Puna // Aug 31, 2009 at 7:37 am

Oh my gosh, hilarious. I don’t have a housecoat but I do remember my mother wearing hers. Proudly.
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..Traffic Jam =-.

• 4 maya | springtree road // Aug 31, 2009 at 9:34 am

oh no, goats in coats! :) so cute. my grandmother wore house dresses/coats/whatever you want to call them. i was looking at a picture of her in one just the other night.

• 5 Kimmie // Aug 31, 2009 at 11:10 am

that is just way too cute! if only these girls knew there was a giant opening in back – they’d be appalled :)

I think I come from a no-housecoat family …. but I and my girls love hanging out in our bathrobes – does that count?
    .-= Kimmie´s last blog ..last one =-.

• 6 e l k // Aug 31, 2009 at 3:10 pm

what wild photos gayle, why did they have them on do you know? we were not a house coat wearing family…although I am kind of worried…it sounds rather nice to me after a long hard day!

• 7 Katie in MA // Aug 31, 2009 at 5:27 pm

First: when everyone says “housecoats,” do you guys mean “robes,” because that’s what we always called them! My mom had a warm, yellow fuzzy one that feel just like childhood. She would wear it every night in the winter because we kept the heat turned down. (Back when my parents were practically still newlyweds and dirt poor!) I would curl up next to my mom on the couch and fall asleep with my head in her lap, my chubby toddler fingers playing with her warm, fuzzy yellow robe. After we were talking about that robe a few years ago, my mom surprised me with it in the mail. It wasn’t exactly wearable, but it was so nice to have a piece of my mom all these miles (and years!) away from her. What a lovely memory – thank you!!
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..To sleep, perchance to regress. =-.

• 8 elizabeth // Aug 31, 2009 at 8:07 pm

I love that! I don’t know anyone who wore a housecoat, but I rather like the idea. :)

@elk: I think the sheep wear coats after they’re sheared/shorn/
    .-= elizabeth´s last blog ..yellow roman candles =-.

• 9 Gayle // Aug 31, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Hi everybody!
    It’s cool to hear that other moms and grandmas wore house coats!

@maya – yes, I’ve heard them called house dresses, too!

@elk – They had been sheared. I was wondering if they were going to be shown and judged so they had them on to stay clean, or to stay warm, but they weren’t really material that would keep them warm. I should have asked.

@ Katie – The things that my mom wore weren’t robes. They were made of a lightweight cotton and they snapped or buttoned up the front. You would wear them in the evening after taking off
    your work clothes, but before putting on your sleep clothes. It wasn’t like being pj’d, so you could go outside wearing them, like my neighbor and mom would sit outside on a hot night wearing their housecoats! Kinda weird. I
    love your memory! What a sweet memory it is. How cool that your mom sent you her robe!

• 10 christina // Aug 31, 2009 at 11:37 pm

i remember those! grand had one, and so did miss rose.
    thank you for being here, friend.
    .-= christina´s last blog ..update* =-.

• 11 DesignTies // Aug 31, 2009 at 11:37 pm

The goats in housecoats are too funny!!! :-)

I think I had a fuzzy red housecoat at one point. With a navy blue zipper. My mom & grandma both wore housecoats a lot. I seem to recall some seriously flowery ones!!

I took my new camera out for a test drive today. Actually, it was a test ride — hubby and I rode our bikes downtown and back, and I took a bunch of pics along the way. A guy in period clothes by the locks downtown asked us if it was our first trip to Ottawa. I told him no, we live here!! What, only tourists are allowed to carry cameras?! 😉

Thanks for your good luck wish on my back to school post :-) One class down, 29 more to go!!! 😉

Kelly
    .-= DesignTies´s last blog ..It’s coming together! =-.

• 12 patty // Sep 1, 2009 at 7:07 am

the photos are hysterical! love it! is there a reason for those fancy-shmancy goat-coats? :) my mom wore housecoats, too… i always thought it was a southern thing, too. have a good day!
    .-= patty´s last blog ..Everything’s Right Tonight =-.

• 13 sunnymama // Sep 1, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Such stylish sheep! How fun :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

• 14 Stephanie // Sep 2, 2009 at 1:31 pm

This made me laugh. I especially like the pink one! And, no, there were no housecoats that I can remember. But maybe there should have been? 😉

• 15 Shannon // Sep 3, 2009 at 10:55 am

I love it! You always make me laugh! I just love how the sheep don’t seem to mind the house coats at all.
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..Etsy Love – Halloween Style =-.

• 16 Monkey's Momma // Sep 5, 2009 at 8:12 am

Lord yes, I remember those housecoats. I was a child of the 70’s. I had one when I was around 5 that was hideous. I think it was red, white and blue. I will have to dig out my pictures.

But you know what? I loved that coat!
    .-= Monkey’s Momma´s last blog ..Wow! A Great Response To Something I Thought Up! =-.

• 17 Jean // Sep 14, 2009 at 12:25 pm

My cousins and I just returned from vacation in Michigan where we all wore housecoats in honor of our aunts who wore them. Such roomy pockets were good to carry smokes, ashtrays, cans of beer or the empties! I made a video of our trip posted on youtube wearing our housecoats in honor or our aunts!