What Is Eating My Tomatoes?

August 25th, 2009 · 12 Comments

tomatoes 005 (Medium)

Something is getting my tomatoes before I get them.  Does anyone have any ideas on what causes this kind of damage?  I have a sneaking suspicion it might be one of Hector’s relatives, but I’m not sure.  I don’t see any slugs or other bugs in the garden during the day.

Speaking of Hector, he bit the dust.  He escaped from his beautiful sanctuary that my youngest son lovingly created for him.  We saw the slime trail evidence leading to underneath a wood box that we have on our patio.  The next day there was Hector, all dried up on the patio floor.  He looked like he was on his way back to his lovely home.  Oh well, I wasn’t really looking forward to bringing a slug tank into the house when fall got here anyway!

Tags: Home & Garden · Wild Critters

• 1 Puna // Aug 25, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Gayle, that’s definitely a flying something. I don’t think it’s Hector’s kin. Sorry he bit the dust…it’s a little gross actually.
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..First Day of School `09-10 =-.

• 2 Katie in MA // Aug 25, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Poor Hector! As for your tomatoes, it looks like the elusive Tomato Eating Bug. Very, very hard to spot – I have never actually seen one in real life. :) But that’s my best guess.

• 3 mrs. e // Aug 25, 2009 at 5:32 pm

No clue. We have to keep the wild turkeys from snacking on ours!
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..I Hate To Admit It =-.

• 4 2Thinks // Aug 25, 2009 at 5:57 pm

I think Greg C. at Greg’s General Store will know. I’ll go get him and bring him over here to see this tomato problem.
    .-= 2Thinks´s last blog ..Mystery Shopper Me =-.

• 5 chocolate and whine // Aug 25, 2009 at 7:53 pm

I have no idea. But I hope you get it before it gets anymore of your veggies. Or… is tomato a fruit? I can never keep ’em straight.

• 6 Greg Cushing // Aug 26, 2009 at 8:37 am

2 Thinks sent me.
    Wow that could be quite a few bugs not to mention rodents. And we can’t rule out tomato sucking aliens at this point either.
    Seriously though it is more than likely a slug or a caterpillar. The slugs work mostly at night which is why you may not be seing them. Is there any leaf eating going on? That may be a clue to what is eating the tomatoes. As I mentioned, rodents may also be nibbling on them and getting the ball rolling. Once the skin is broken, other critters get inside and do their dirty work. Do you see any stink bugs in the area? They can be a problem as can ants once the skin is broken.
    .-= Greg Cushing´s last blog ..Tree trimming (911) =-.

• 7 Diane // Aug 26, 2009 at 11:27 pm

That’s definitely a slug and sometimes there’s a thick worm (that I forget what it’s called) and they cause this too. Sprinkle salt on the tomatoes. Did you read my environmental column on how to control slugs in the garden?
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Pride in Workmanship =-.

• 8 Judy // Aug 28, 2009 at 9:07 am

The newspaper had an article about a fungus (I think) that is damaging tomatoes , similar to the potato famine. It has been particularly bad on the east coast.

• 9 patty // Aug 29, 2009 at 11:27 am

i’m so sorry about hector (may he rest in peace!)… :/
    sorry about the ‘maters (as they call them here)… and they look so red and juicy, too!
    .-= patty´s last blog ..Life’s a Cinch =-.

• 10 sunnymama // Sep 1, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Poor Hector :( Did you find the tomato aeting culprit?
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

• 11 sunnymama // Sep 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm

oops, that should say eating!
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

• 12 Gerri // Jun 28, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I have seen the squirel eating my tomatoes & pickles.He takes a bite then throws it away. Is there something I can put around the garden or something?