Macaroni Salad Recipe and an Update!

August 21st, 2009 · 14 Comments

First, the update.  My 16 year old son and I met with his guidance counselor yesterday about trying to rearrange his 11th grade schedule to fit in the Honors Chemistry class.  Your comments yesterday were all so wonderful and I headed to the meeting feeling relaxed and positive!  The guidance counselor went through all of my son’s classes with us and the periods that they were available and there is no option to make the Honors Chemistry class work, unless he wants to drop out of one of his AP classes, and he definitely doesn’t want to do that.  Today my son is going to email his Chemistry teacher (who also happens to be his AP Biology teacher) to ask if he can do extra work to earn the Honors Chemistry credit.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed and my attitude positive for this to work out for him!  I’ll let you know how it goes.

The recipe.  Last week I made a pasta salad that was so delicious.  But, it was only delicious to my daughter and I.  My husband didn’t try it, which is really unusual for him.  He looked at it and said, “It doesn’t look like something I’d like.”  My 16 year old son said, “It’s grainy.”  My 11 year old son didn’t like it.  I don’t remember what he said!  So this week I wanted something easy and something that tasted like the old fashioned macaroni salad that I grew up with.  This isn’t fancy.  Here it is, my messily written recipe with the silly title, My Really Good Macaroni Salad:Macaroni Salad

Do you have a favorite Macaroni/Pasta Salad recipe? Please share it!

I hope you all have a weekend filled with happiness and love! I’ll see you on Sunday evening with Monday Memories!

Tags: Cooking · Family

• 1 spread your wings // Aug 21, 2009 at 2:03 pm

the salad sounds delicious.
    i’m keeping my fingers crossed for your son. i feel sure it will work out.

• 2 2Thinks // Aug 21, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Our son did AP Statistics at home, with his dad and scored high enough on the test to get 3 credits of math at the private college he attended and has now graduated from. Would your son be able to study at the AP level at home? Of course Chemistry requires some chemicals and such, for the labs- but they are available. We own bunsen burners and glassware etc. Just a thought. Some kids are great at independent learning and given super materials, really can practically teach themselves.

The salad looks good. I made one last night w/multi-grain twisty noodles, Omega 3 Flax Seed mayonaise replacement something or other, chopped veggies, salt free seasoning, garlic salt, pepper, poppyseed dressing and a bit of ranch, chicken sausage and sun dried tomatoes packed in EVOO. It went over well here.
    .-= 2Thinks´s last blog ..Friday’s Fave Five =-.

• 3 Shannon // Aug 21, 2009 at 3:24 pm

My fingers are still crossed that your son’s schedule works out. I am sure it will. Yum, I can’t wait to try the new recipes. They look scrumptious!! Have a great weekend everyone!!!
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..Let’s Call This Post Tile Overload =-.

• 4 Katie in MA // Aug 21, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Fingers crossed for your son – I hope it works out!!

Here’s my macaroni salad, handed down from my aunt:
    Cook as much elbow macaroni as you want to use.
    Chop up carrots and celery – proportional to the amount of macaroni. Add chopped onions (I use the dried kind – after sitting overnight in the mayo, you’d never know). Cut up a block of cheddar cheese. Or, if you’re lazy like me, shred it. Cube itty bitty pieces of ham. Mix together. Add enough mayo to keep it moist (to taste).

Ta-da! Easy peasy. And sooooo delish.
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..The story of George. =-.

• 5 Puna // Aug 21, 2009 at 8:17 pm

There you go Gayle! I will continue to pray that it works out for your boy and I know it will. Love how you write out your recipe…
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..Aloha Friday, Breastfeeding =-.

• 6 Puna // Aug 21, 2009 at 8:17 pm

And Gayle…how happy am I to have you as a buddy.
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..Aloha Friday, Breastfeeding =-.

• 7 vchelle // Aug 21, 2009 at 11:44 pm

I’m so glad you and your son had the opportunity to try and make things work out. I’m sending positive energy your way, always! Isn’t it exciting to feel the joy and just be happy regardless of what happens?

Don’t have a macaroni salad recipe but all the recipes sparked a interest to make some!
    .-= vchelle´s last blog ..Conscious Friday: The joy of penpals =-.

• 8 DesignTies // Aug 22, 2009 at 12:46 am

I love the hand-written recipe — it really gives it a personal touch :-)

I have a really good pasta salad recipe, but it’s way different from the more traditional kind so maybe it won’t appeal to everyone. It has chorizo and artichokes and cheese and tomatoes and the dressing is dijon mustard & balsamic vinegar.

Hope your son is able to sort out the Honors Chemistry. Fingers crossed for him!!

Kelly
    .-= DesignTies´s last blog ..Colour Us Happy =-.

• 9 mrs. e // Aug 22, 2009 at 9:22 am

Glad you had a good visit with the counselor. (That still sounds like strange scheduling to me!) He is smart to email the teacher. He may or may not get to do that–but I guarantee you that teacher won’t forget his desire to push himself. I love kids like that!!
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..Salsa Making =-.

• 10 lailani // Aug 22, 2009 at 9:54 am

Sounds like a good visit with the counselor and an amazing schedule for your son. What a go getter!

Thanks for the recipe – I would be the only one eating it though – so I probably won’t make it just for me :) shucks! …of course, could make and then add meat one day and then add something else another day and create a bunch of different meals for just myself!
    .-= lailani´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday – 16 and Driving =-.

• 11 elk // Aug 22, 2009 at 9:42 pm

cool to see your handwriting & yum on the salad anything with mayo gets my vote big time.

one thing to consider for AP classes are that each university has their own policy on how many AP credits they will take or an incoming freshman…not that that should keep a kid from striving to take them , but they do not always “count” …just something we experienced with my now senior!! in college

• 12 Ashley // Aug 23, 2009 at 5:04 pm

The recipe sounds great, I will have to try it out! Thanks for sharing.

• 13 Se'Lah // Aug 23, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I am praying that everything works out for your son and his classes. I’m impressed with his innovative attitude. Way to go.
    .-= Se’Lah´s last blog ..Inspirational Monday: call to duty… =-.

• 14 sunnymama // Sep 1, 2009 at 10:17 pm

That sounds yummy! Hope things are working out for your son :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.