Monday Memories: The Twenty-fourth!

August 16th, 2009 · 15 Comments

Marshmallow Roast 8-16-09 001 (Medium)

On Love Thursday I wrote about how we are making use of our pool ruins.  They are a great place to roast marshmallows!  We were out there again tonight.  It brought back memories for me of when I was a little kid.  My mom’s family used to have a big family cookout at my grandmother’s house each summer and family from far and near came together for it.  My mom had eight sisters, so there were lots of aunts, uncles and cousins!  One of my favorite parts of the cookout came in the evening, when everyone had had their fill of hot dogs and hamburgers and salads.  The mosquitoes would be out in full force, but we didn’t care!  It was marshmallow roasting time!   We would roast them over the still hot coals of the charcoal grill.  I didn’t like roasted marshmallows, but I loved to roast them.  That worked out just fine because there were plenty of adults that would eat my burnt marshmallows and act like they were the most delicious things ever!  These are special memories for me, and I am mindful as my little family of five roasts marshmallows in our pool ruins, laughing and talking, that these are the things that memories are made of.

Marshmallow Roast 8-16-09 002 (Medium)

Now it’s your turn!  What are you remembering today?  If you have something to share with us today, leave a link to your blog post or photo in Mr. Linky.  If you don’t have a blog, tell us about a memory in the comment section.  I want to hear from everybody!  (If Mr. Linky  isn’t working, you can put your link in the comments section.)  Please remember to:

• Leave a link to the specific blog post, not to your general blog address, to make it easier for people to find your memory post.
  • Make sure your link works and that it goes to your specific memory post.
  • Put a link back to here in your post so that your readers can come and read about everyone’s memories!
  • Visit the other participants and please leave comments on their posts!  We all love comments!
  • Enjoy the party and come back next week for Monday Memories: The Twenty-fifth!

Tags: Family · Favorite Things · Monday Memories

• 1 Anne Marie // Aug 16, 2009 at 10:40 pm

My Monday Memories are here: http://www.adhdattorney.org/?p=1687

I don’t like roasted marshmallows particularly, either, although one of my kids likes them so much that she will impale a marshmallow on a toothpick and roast it over the stove burner. I like the social events surrounding roasting marshmallows better than eating them.
    .-= Anne Marie´s last blog ..Monday Memories: Creative Cooking =-.

• 2 The ADHD Attorney » Monday Memories: Creative Cooking // Aug 16, 2009 at 10:44 pm

[…] (More Monday Memories here.) […]

• 3 mrs. e // Aug 17, 2009 at 6:48 am

I’m just glad you’re getting use out of your pool!! : )

• 4 Puna // Aug 17, 2009 at 7:24 am

Good morning Gayle,
    Sorry about the goofy link. You can certainly delete the first one if you like.
    Puna
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..Teacher Rick =-.

• 5 elk // Aug 17, 2009 at 8:45 am

you are really making the most of your pool…it will be wonderful memories to chuckle about in years to come, love the images along with this post
    .-= elk´s last blog ..color my world =-.

• 6 Se'Lah // Aug 17, 2009 at 8:55 am

I love the unorthodox use of the pool. Fantastic!

This Monday I am remembering a moment spent with Baby B this weekend.

Thanks for your lovely thoughts and prayers.
    .-= Se’Lah´s last blog ..a hole in her heart… =-.

• 7 spread your wings // Aug 17, 2009 at 10:02 am

oh i love roasting marshmallows too. we have a fire pit in the back of our yard that T and her friends use for that.
    I just got a call from T after her first class – she’s asking for money already for school supplies – photography class is going to require a lot apparently. : ) today i am remembering that last year this time I was writing my first ever blog post.
    .-= spread your wings´s last blog ..aim =-.

• 8 chenoa // Aug 17, 2009 at 12:21 pm

im so fond of roasting marshmallows!!! this is such a lovely party, id love to join in next week when i have a bit more time :) one quick memory…sliding down a snow-filled hill with my brother in one of those old blue exercise mats :) it was cold! but a dear time!!! happy memories to you!!!
    .-= chenoa´s last blog ..rainbows above us. =-.

• 9 Kath // Aug 17, 2009 at 4:56 pm

I am remembering a fun weekend with Margie. How we used to spend two weeks together at a cottage 25 years ago …. I miss those holidays.

• 10 Relyn // Aug 18, 2009 at 5:55 am

Tonight I am remembering how excited I would always get about back-to-school. Now I am just as giddy. Even after eight years of teacher back-to-school excitement, I can hardly wait to begin my ninth. I hope my students are all as excited as I used to be.
    .-= Relyn´s last blog ..Two Kinds of Poetry =-.

• 11 DesignTies // Aug 18, 2009 at 10:54 am

Mmmmm, roasted marshmallows!! Actually, I’m not a huge fan either — but put a roasted marshmallow between two graham crackers with a chunk of chocolate, and now we’re talkin’!!!

I have the weirdest roasted marshmallow eating technique — I roast the marshmallow till it’s golden (that’s assuming I manage to keep it out of the fire!!), then I pull off the roasted part and eat it, then roast the marshmallow again, pull off the roasted part, eat it….

My memory today is of swimming at the cottage yesterday!! Man, it was awesome — I was in the water for about 7 hours, and loved every minute of it!! :-)

Kelly
    .-= DesignTies´s last blog ..Looking better all the time! =-.

• 12 Kimmie // Aug 18, 2009 at 1:08 pm

It’s so funny how many ways there are to enjoy and roast a marshmallow! I always laugh at the gourmet or homemade marshmallows because they look just totally UN-roastable! I used to roast them over a candle in the dead of winter to get my fix :)
    .-= Kimmie´s last blog ..Coffee and Puzzling =-.

• 13 Diane // Aug 18, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Absolutely, these are the things that memories are made from. I could just as easily written the exact same thing. I remember doing this with my son and step children when they were all little — we still talk about how much fun that was and now my son makes those same memories with his little girls.
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Family Celebration :: {Valhalla, Alberta area Photographer} =-.

• 14 patty // Aug 19, 2009 at 7:00 pm

love those pics, gayle! yummy marshmellows… might have to light up the flower pot! (we use an over-sized clay pot to roast in!)
    .-= patty´s last blog ..Dive Right In =-.

• 15 sunnymama // Sep 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Sunnyboy discovered roasting marshmallows at the bonfire this year! Wonderful to think we are creating a memory like for him :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.