Love Thursday

August 13th, 2009 · 17 Comments

When we bought the house we live in now we had one son and our daughter on the way.  The house had an inground pool that I wasn’t too thrilled with.  I don’t know how to swim so I was a little apprehensive about it.  So we built a safety fence around the pool and as our three children became old enough my husband taught them to swim and the pool came to be a place of family fun!  It was also a money pit, but the fun was worth it.   Well, the pool needed serious work to be done and the economy’s downturn came and the pool work moved down to the bottom of the list of things to spend money on.  I call it the pool ruins now.  But it is so much more than that.  In the spring we discovered Bentley living in our pool.  We have had various frogs and toads living in there.  We have a vole living in there now.

Pool 8-12-09 001 (Medium)

Look! A few Butterfly bushes have started growing!

Marshmallow Roast 8-12-09 004 (Medium)

It turns out that pool ruins are almost as fun as having a pool.  Now we can roast marshmallows for s’mores in the pool!

Marshmallow Roast 8-12-09 012 (Medium)

This is a good reminder for me.  Beauty isn’t always what you expect it to be.  Love and family fun can happen in surprising places.  My daughter said to me the other day, “We should leave the pool like this.”  I imagine that in years to come, this time, these memories will be special to them, back when the pool was not filled with water, but it was still filled with discoveries and love.

Happy Love Thursday!

Tags: Family · Favorite Things · Home & Garden

• 1 Cindy // Aug 13, 2009 at 1:37 pm

My parents let our pool go to ruins. Problem is, it was a in ground liner pool and the water never completely drained out. My mom throws her lawn garbage in there and now it’s a mosquito breeder. We’re talking Jurassic Park sized mosquitoes.

This is a way better use of a pool gone to ruin. Happy Love Thursday!
    .-= Cindy´s last blog ..LOVE THURSDAY: FINDING THINGS WHEN YOU NEED THEM MOST =-.

• 2 Jen E @ mommablogsalot // Aug 13, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Wow, so true! Kind of reminds you that perfection isn’t always necessary to make happiness.
    .-= Jen E @ mommablogsalot´s last blog ..love thursday: the loves of my life =-.

• 3 patty // Aug 13, 2009 at 1:41 pm

aww! {i love marshmellows!}
    hope you can get ‘er done by next season…
    happy love thursday to you, too! :)
    .-= patty´s last blog ..Wabi-Sabi =-.

• 4 Shannon // Aug 13, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Oh I truly love how you always look at everything on the positive side. That is truly a gift. You inspire me to always try and find the good, even in pool ruins. Inspiring!
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..First of All I Want to Thank My Mom =-.

• 5 Puna // Aug 13, 2009 at 3:02 pm

We hardly swam in our pool at all this year. I almost want to empty it and do what your boys are doing now!
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..Get Ready to Rumble With Recipes – Psst, It’s A Giveaway! =-.

• 6 lmerie // Aug 13, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I wonder if that could be the making of a meme – “pool ruins” – see what creative ideas have with waterless pools! It is neat the discoveries and the fun – the pool smores are great! :)
    .-= lmerie´s last blog ..Thankful Thursday, Three Hours =-.

• 7 Katie in MA // Aug 13, 2009 at 5:00 pm

This is one of my favorites of your posts…what a truly wonderful and magical perspective! I wish *I* had some ruins (or some really good woods) to go exploring in with the girls! (Marshmellows would be the icing on the cake!)
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..Love knows what it wants. =-.

• 8 Katie @ cakes, tea and dreams // Aug 13, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Oh, I love this. What a great way to remember that beauty crops up unexpectedly. Happy Love Thursday!
    .-= Katie @ cakes, tea and dreams´s last blog ..a flashy interview =-.

• 9 elizabeth // Aug 13, 2009 at 9:12 pm

I love that you found uses for it, even without water.

Oh, never fear, I thoroughly washed my tomatoes before eating them. 😉
    .-= elizabeth´s last blog ..from garden to table =-.

• 10 mrs. e // Aug 13, 2009 at 10:12 pm

What an optimistic attitude you are teaching your children! To take a ruined pool and find new things to love in the decay. (I always have a hunch that is what God is doing with my life!) Happy Love Thursday to you, my friend!
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..Reporting for Duty =-.

• 11 elk // Aug 13, 2009 at 11:56 pm

you are ingenious and amazing gayle …what a way to find the silver lining! HLT!

• 12 Ashley // Aug 14, 2009 at 11:51 am

What a wonderful reminder to look for fun and beauty in unexpected places…thank you!

• 13 Shalet // Aug 14, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Glad to see you enjoying your pool! ;o)

Happy Belated Love Thursday!
    .-= Shalet´s last blog ..And the winner is … =-.

• 14 Kimmie // Aug 14, 2009 at 3:01 pm

what a perfect place to have a firepit! no worries of the garden or the house catching on fire! I love this post …. it’s like getting lemonade from lemons :)

• 15 Monday Memories: The Twenty-fourth! // Aug 16, 2009 at 8:52 pm

[…] Love Thursday I wrote about how we are making use of our pool ruins.  They are a great place to roast marshmallows!  We were out there again tonight.  It brought back memories for me of when I was a little kid.  […]

• 16 sunnymama // Sep 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm

What a lovely post :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

• 17 Garlic Bread and Other Stuff I Love! // Sep 3, 2009 at 4:31 pm