My Quest for Bokeh

August 5th, 2009 · 11 Comments

I love bokeh.  Here’s an indepth look at what bokeh is.  My favorite bokeh is created by brighter light that is behind the object being focused on, although I also love the bokeh of colorful out-of-focus items in the background.  If you have bokeh that catches my attention in any photos on your blog, I will probably mention my love of it!

I almost never achieve bokeh I’m happy with in my photos.  I captured some Christmas bokeh.  Eh, it’s okay.  It’s okay bokeh!

So, I was outside with my camera a few nights ago taking photos of my kids and our pups when I turned my camera on a hanging basket of flowers on our patio.  When I saw this on the camera screen I was thrilled!

All of these are SOOC (straight out of the camera) except for the last image, which I cropped.

Plants 8-1-09 027 (Medium)

I continued snapping away!

Plants 8-1-09 034 (Medium)

I changed some settings and moved around.

Plants 8-1-09 036 (Medium)

I ran to my kids yelling, “I got some good bokeh!!!”  They said, “Oh.”  They were busy playing in boxes and had no use for bokeh.

Plants 8-1-09 046 (Medium)

Plants 8-1-09 035 cropped (Medium)

I am wondering if these would have been better if I had used a tripod.  The shutter speed was pretty slow for hand-held.  I did try to steady myself and the camera by leaning up against the fence.

And so, I continue my quest for beautiful bokeh.  It’s a fun quest!

Tags: Photography

• 1 lmerie // Aug 5, 2009 at 4:37 pm

oh, wow, that is what you call it! I like bokeh too! I was trying to do that the other evening while the fellas were fishing. One was sorta close. I have one that turned out of the pooch – but that was completely accidental, and I have been trying to do it since. :) Love the pics.
    .-= lmerie´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday – Summer Church Slip ‘n Slide =-.

• 2 Gayle // Aug 5, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Hi lmerie!
    Isn’t that so exciting when you get something that looks great and it’s totally by accident?! That’s a happy accident!

• 3 stephanie // Aug 5, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Great pictures, Gayle! I love bokeh, too. Actually, the bokeh in the muffin pictures today is from water bottles. I love finding boring things around my house that give awesome bokeh.

• 4 2Thinks // Aug 5, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Very in-turesting. I have not heard of this before. I am so busy asking my camera, “what is wrong with you, are you brokeh?” because I can never get it to take the shot the way I want it to. But now, I will see if my Mr. Brokeh can achieve any shots with bokeh.

Thanks for sharing.
    Heidi
    .-= 2Thinks´s last blog ..RIFF RAFF Review =-.

• 5 margie // Aug 6, 2009 at 7:51 am

gayle, these bokeh shots are better than okay. they are brilliant.
    .-= margie´s last blog ..iloview =-.

• 6 autumnsun // Aug 6, 2009 at 10:29 am

bouncing magical beautiful bokeh – love it
    .-= autumnsun´s last blog ..a parade of animals =-.

• 7 Ashley // Aug 6, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I never knew that about bokeh. Very interesting info and great pictures!
    .-= Ashley´s last blog ..Sun Bathing =-.

• 8 elk // Aug 6, 2009 at 5:16 pm

you got it! it is stunning gayle…if i ever capture it it is pure luck…
    .-= elk´s last blog ..written on a page =-.

• 9 elizabeth // Aug 7, 2009 at 12:41 am

now if the bokeh were a box .. 😉

love the color of that bokeh!
    .-= elizabeth´s last blog ..nature’s bounty =-.

• 10 sunnymama // Aug 8, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Those are great pictures! Until now I knew nothing about bokeh :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Today’s Flowers =-.

• 11 Pink Petal Bokeh Shimmer and a Tanka Experiment « wonderwebby // Aug 21, 2009 at 9:55 am

[…] Published August 21, 2009 inspiration , photography Leave a Comment pink petal bokeh shimmer fragrant season’s glint sky gazing usher conducting sunbeams teasing every shade of […]