Our New Pet, Hector

August 4th, 2009 · 15 Comments

You can click on all of the photos to get a better look at Hector!  He is a Spotted Garden Slug.

Hector the Slug 8-2-09 004 (Medium)

My youngest son found him.  Hector is a slug.  I’ll call Hector a him just for simplicity.  This document says that he is a hermaphrodite.  Hector is quite cute, for a slug.

Check out his breathing pore.  It is there on his side, just at the edge of his mantle.  I know, that’s some pretty fancy slug talk!  heehee!  You can click on the photo to see it better.  That breathing pore is kind of yucky if you ask me.

Hector 8-3-09 020 (Medium)

Here is Hector eating a piece of zucchini.  We have enough zucchini in our garden to choke a slug!  He has his mouth sticking out to munch on it.

Hector 8-3-09 024 (Medium)

Hector is living in a tank that my youngest son lovingly set up for him.  It has moss and rocks and a bowl of water and a place to hide.  And plenty of zucchini.

My daughter came to me yesterday evening and said that she wanted to take Hector for a walk.  She said, “He was eating some zucchini and then he came and pressed his little face against the wall of the tank and waved his eye stalks around at me!”  This surely meant he needed to get out for a while!  So my girl put on some plastic gloves and took Hector out for a walk.  He looked very happy to be out and about!

I told my boy that if Hector is going to remain a pet beyond today, he needs to clean Hector’s tank.  My boy said he was thinking that he wanted to clean the tank today anyway.   What?  This is the boy that has a pile of clean clothes sitting on his bedroom floor.  After I wash clothes I put them on my kids’ beds for them to put away.  This child puts them on the floor and pulls each day’s clothes from the clean pile on the floor, instead on putting them in the drawers!

I’ll let you know if Hector is released back into the wild tomorrow morning!

Tags: Pets · Wild Critters

• 1 lmerie // Aug 4, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Ahhh Hector! Kinda cute in a real oooooeeeyyy way!

Sympathy sent in the clothes. I almost posted a pic of the 22 year olds room today – what it looks like for weeks straight and then is only clean for less than 24 hours. Her clothes are not folded or stacked -just dumped in the floor – in a way there is no way to get through the room without stepping on them -AND her dirty clothes are mixed. I think I am going to need drugs before all this over! Calgon is NOT working lol!
    .-= lmerie´s last blog ..Old Mother Hubbard =-.

• 2 Relyn // Aug 4, 2009 at 2:36 pm

You are one good and brave Mama. I don’t know many who would adopt a slug. Even for a day.
    .-= Relyn´s last blog ..I Am =-.

• 3 Gayle // Aug 4, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Hi lmerie!
    Boy, do I sometimes have those Calgon, take me away moments!

Hi Relyn!
    Haha! I’m an equal opportunity pet owner!

• 4 Shannon // Aug 4, 2009 at 4:13 pm

I congratulate you for opening your home up to such a lovable slug. Thank God for mamas who embrace those sometimes hard to love pets. I think your kids will grow up and look back at how much you really did love them.
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..A Room with a View =-.

• 5 Puna // Aug 4, 2009 at 4:59 pm

How cute! Your kids, not the slug. What a nice mom you are to let them keep it. But then again, if it helps them be responsible then I would probably do the same. Your son sounds just like my boy…
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..Looking Down =-.

• 6 Gayle // Aug 4, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Hi Shannon!
    I know you are one of those mamas, too! You have quite the menagerie of pets!

Hi Puna!
    Yes! My boy actually did do a really thorough job of cleaning the tank today! Hector is our pet for another day, at least!

• 7 shelli // Aug 4, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Oh Hector! Not sure I’d want you for a pet. However, I’m sure I’ll acquire many interesting creatures as pets over the years since I’m going to have two boys!

• 8 mrs. e // Aug 5, 2009 at 9:56 am

I don’t care who you are. That is not a cute animal!!
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..First Grade For A Day =-.

• 9 Gayle // Aug 5, 2009 at 10:57 am

Hi shelli!
    Yep, I think you will!

Hi mrs. e!
    Oh, no. Don’t be dissin Hector!

• 10 Ashley // Aug 5, 2009 at 11:44 am

What great images and story! I remember when I used to bring home slugs and salamanders to my mom!
    .-= Ashley´s last blog ..A New Day =-.

• 11 Katie in MA // Aug 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm

I remember my brother going through his slug phase! Except he never moved them into tanks. Nope, he put them in his pockets. Funny – my mother refused to check our pockets anymore when she did laundry right about the time my brother went through his slug phase. Coincidence?
    .-= Katie in MA´s last blog ..They’re just lucky we came back at all. =-.

• 12 Gayle // Aug 5, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Hi Ashley!
    I love salamanders! Where my husband and I used to live we found salamanders. I don’t think we have found one at this house, or anywhere for years.

Hi Katie!
    Ick! Slugs in Pockets could be a name for a movie, like Snakes On A Plane!

• 13 Don’t Scroll Down If You’re Arachnophobic! // Aug 7, 2009 at 11:09 am

[…] do you remember Hector?  He is still with us.  He is living in his tank out on our patio.  He gets fresh water and […]

• 14 sunnymama // Aug 8, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Hector is rather cute for a slug! Will he be featured in the next pet parade? :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Today’s Flowers =-.

• 15 What Is Eating My Tomatoes? // Aug 25, 2009 at 10:59 am

[…] have any ideas on what causes this kind of damage?  I have a sneaking suspicion it might be one of Hector’s relatives, but I’m not sure.  I don’t see any slugs or other bugs in the garden during […]