Monday Memories: The Twentieth?! Really?

July 19th, 2009 · 17 Comments

Beach

Time is really going by too quickly.  This is the twentieth week that I have done Monday Memories!  August 1st will be my first blogiversary!  Wow!

My memories today are more memories of summertime when I was a kid.  On hot summer weekends often my mom and I would go to the beach.  We would grab our towels and head out.  No sunscreen, no snacks, no drinks, no floaties!  Just us and two towels.  We would figure the angle of the sun and lay our towels out, feet toward the sun and we would bake!  My mom would usually fall asleep.  When we got so hot that we couldn’t stand it, we would cool off in the water, and then head right back to our towels to roast some more.  Yipes!  I remember the smell of the salty air and the smell of the hot beach towel.  In my memory I can still taste the saltiness of the water on my lips.  Some people had radios on, all tuned to the top 40 AM radio station!  When it was time to leave we would stop at a shop on the boardwalk.  They had a choice of fresh squeezed orange juice or lemonade.  It wasn’t very cold and had barely any ice in it, but boy did it taste good after all that sweating out on the beach!  We would carry our drinks, mine OJ, my mom’s lemonade, to the car, which was about 300 degrees inside!  The seats were plastic, no soft fabric back then!  We had to put our towels on the seats so the back of our thighs didn’t sear to the hot plastic!  We opened the windows wide because there was no air-conditioning in her car and we rode home with the radio blasting and the wind whipping our hair around, hot, tired, happy!

What are you remembering today?  If you have something to share with us today, leave a link to your blog post or photo in Mr. Linky.  If you don’t have a blog, tell us about a memory in the comment section.  I want to hear from everybody!  (If Mr. Linky  isn’t working, you can put your link in the comments section.)  Please remember to:

• Leave a link to the specific blog post, not to your general blog address, to make it easier for people to find your memory post.
  • Make sure your link works and that it goes to your specific memory post.
  • Put a link back to here in your post so that your readers can come and read about everyone’s memories!
  • Visit the other participants and please leave comments on their posts!  We all love comments!
  • Enjoy the party and come back next week for Monday Memories: The Twenty-first!

Tags: Family · Monday Memories

• 1 Lost Memories : LifeSignatures // Jul 20, 2009 at 7:38 am

[…] on Gayle’s Monday Memories. Sorry Gayle, no recollection […]

• 2 Puna // Jul 20, 2009 at 7:42 am

Hi Gayle,

I am not awake. Please delete my first link. Not a good start to a Monday morning. Sorry.

Hope your day goes much better!

Puna
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..Lost Memories =-.

• 3 elk // Jul 20, 2009 at 8:19 am

oh how merge story and image so well…time is flying for sure!
    .-= elk´s last blog ..blue with flowers =-.

• 4 margie // Jul 20, 2009 at 9:06 am

i love these memories if for no other reason that they prompt me to remember as well. now please, remind me of the pet parade day, i have already written a post!!!
    .-= margie´s last blog ..macro moths =-.

• 5 Gayle // Jul 20, 2009 at 10:32 am

Hi Puna!
    Done!

Hi elk!
    Yes, can we slow it down some?!

Hi margie!
    The Pet Parade is July 29th!

• 6 mrs. e // Jul 20, 2009 at 10:44 am

Baking in the sun. Ahhh! Back in the day before we knew how bad it was for us. Sadness. So many things I loved aren’t good for me anymore.
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..LBB =-.

• 7 Gayle // Jul 20, 2009 at 10:50 am

Hi mrs. e!
    Oh, I know! Isn’t it terrible?!

• 8 vchelle // Jul 20, 2009 at 11:00 am

I love this memory. It was so vivid in my mine as you told the story. I visualized you and your mom baking in the sun and enjoy the ride home!!! Oh what a great memory!!!

• 9 vchelle // Jul 20, 2009 at 11:02 am

.-= vchelle´s last blog ..Inspirational Monday: A wave of inspiration =-.

• 10 vchelle // Jul 20, 2009 at 11:03 am

P.S. Lately I’ve been getting an error message that I’ve sent a duplicate message and won’t let me post my comment. I tried putting my name in the Mr. Linky first and it did seem to work. Just wanted you to know that I’m here sharing your moments with you even if you don’t get my comments.

• 11 Gayle // Jul 20, 2009 at 11:10 am

Hi vchelle!
    Thank you! I wonder why that is happening. I’m sorry for that. I’ll see if I can figure it out.

• 12 Se'Lah // Jul 20, 2009 at 9:07 pm

HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY…a week in advance.

I am so thankful that I discovered you in blogland. You are teasured! Thanks for building new memories with us.

One Love.
    .-= Se’Lah´s last blog ..Rasta Woman Chronicles: answer me this… =-.

• 13 Mary Beth // Jul 21, 2009 at 8:34 am

What a wonderful post-big smiles!

• 14 Kate // Jul 21, 2009 at 9:36 am

What a great idea to remember childhood…ahh such an innocent time! Thanks for stopping by my site. Please feel free to visit anytime, I’ll leave the light on for you!
    .-= Kate´s last blog ..What I can’t live without. =-.

• 15 elizabeth // Jul 21, 2009 at 11:29 am

that brings back such memories. the hot plastic seats. baking in the sun. spending the day alternating between towel and water (mine wasn’t salty though). i loved it. thanks for the trip back in time! :)
    .-= elizabeth´s last blog ..meet maryjane =-.

• 16 chocolate and whine // Jul 21, 2009 at 6:57 pm

You’re making me want to drive to the beach! We had lots of days like that, too. My mom, me, my sister. She used to take us all the time. Now I’m not so much of a beach person. Oh, I love to ride my bike down and I love to just look at it… but getting all sandy and wet… not really my thing anymore. Although, it’s been so hot lately, taking a dip in the water sounds incredibly refreshing.

By the way… august 1st is my anniversary, too! How funny that we started our blogs on the same day! I love fun little coincidences like that.

• 17 patty // Jul 21, 2009 at 9:36 pm

sweet memories… i’ll have to remember my memories next monday!! 😉
    .-= patty´s last blog ..on baseball and rainy days and a lost voice found =-.