Stuff I Love, With A Little Complaining

July 16th, 2009 · 10 Comments

July Peas

July Peas

My mind is speeding along today.  A not so great side effect of the Prednisone I’m on (again) for more poison ivy rashes.  Along with that are the feeling that my ears are clogged and a really unpleasant indigestion feeling.  How in the world can I be getting poison ivy when I don’t go near it?  I’ve got some ideas.  Timmy loves digging.  He used to only dig in one empty garden area, but has taken to digging in a few other areas recently.  Maybe there are poison ivy roots he’s getting into.  I brushed up against the wheels of my husband’s garden tractor the evening before the second outbreak appeared, while getting the sidewalk chalk out of our garage.  I sat with my legs on the driveway while we drew with the chalk.  Maybe some oil from the tractor wheels was on the driveway.  Grrrr.  But anyway, what I really wanted to tell you was about how I was wide awake for an hour during the middle of the night last night (another side effect) and my mind was trying to race along, but I kept trying to focus, “What will I post for Love Thursday?”  Well, because of the racing thoughts, a list of random things came flooding through, not a bad thing!  So here’s part of my list.

I love:

• How comfy and cool the sheets on my bed feel
  • The ceiling fan over our bed set to low, blowing a gentle breeze onto us on a warm summer night
  • The sound of my husband’s even, deep breathing in his sleep
  • The sound of crickets
  • How I can, only when the air is still and clear, hear the sound of a train in the distance.  I love that sound.
  • The sound of the birds chirping in the early morning
  • The smell of my basil and tomato salad.  The basil is from my garden.  We’ve only got a few small green tomatoes so far, so the tomatoes are from the store.
  • My kids picking peas from our garden.  We eat them right then and there.  No cooking peas for us!
  • The curlicue grabbers on the pea plants:

Pea plants

Edited to Add: How could I forget to add one other very special thing that I love?!  The Pet Parade!!!  The summer edition, brought to you by my sweet blogging friend, ELK of red or gray depends on the day, and I, is coming on July 29th!  Get those pets ready for marching!

Go over to chookooloonks for more love!

Tags: Favorite Things · Home & Garden · Pet Parade

• 1 Kim Andersen // Jul 16, 2009 at 1:39 pm

wow – sometimes I think the clearest thoughts come in the deep of night. This is a lovely and sweet post – in the midst of your suffering :(
    I wonder if you’re developing a hypersensitivity to the P.I. with every smallest of exposures? I was told that would be my trouble if I continued to get bee stings. Each sting had a worse reaction than the previous one …..just a thought.
    .-= Kim Andersen´s last blog ..still learning to walk =-.

• 2 elk // Jul 16, 2009 at 3:53 pm

oh you poor dear…first i am so sorry you are STILL dealing with this, i do not like nasty side effects…wow on those peas …YAY for pet parade next week!
    .-= elk´s last blog ..second time around =-.

• 3 Puna // Jul 16, 2009 at 5:40 pm

This looks good enough to eat. And I don’t even like peas. I’m a-looking forward to the pet parade! yeah! Take care of yourself dearie.
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..What’s Your Play no. 54 =-.

• 4 Stephanie // Jul 16, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Wow, those peas look ginormous! And the little curlicues are super cute! And… I really hope the poison ivy stuff is over soon. I’m so sorry you’re still dealing with that.
    .-= Stephanie´s last blog ..Rice Krispies Treats. And then some. =-.

• 5 vchelle // Jul 16, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Oh how I would enjoy eating the right from the garden. I’m raw and vegan and that’s right up my alley.. Love your list. Good thought. Missed you!
    .-= vchelle´s last blog ..Conscous Friday: Where do I begin? =-.

• 6 Heidi // Jul 16, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Those peas look delicious! I can understand how quiet, steady breathing would be nice. Oh, I hate the ivy. it even itches after it’s gone. Yuck!

Love the curlicues, too.
    Heidi
    .-= Heidi´s last blog ..Roto-Rooting Together Forever =-.

• 7 mrs. e // Jul 16, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Yum! Those peas look wonderful! It is ok to complain about poison ivy–enough is enough!
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..Slowness of Move #2 =-.

• 8 Se'Lah // Jul 16, 2009 at 11:25 pm

I love you! Missed you too. Those peas are great. Sorry about the pesky poison ivy. I know the prednisone life. Feel better soon.

Sending lots of positive vibes your way.
    .-= Se’Lah´s last blog ..Conscious Friday: reflecting… =-.

• 9 Diane // Jul 17, 2009 at 10:58 am

Wow, I always love peas in their pods. They always take me back to childhood. The first short story I won in a major writing contest was titled “Shelling Peas” — it was a story about a young girl and her grandmother and the magic of shelling peas. :)

• 10 Kath // Jul 17, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I’m sorry you’ve got the poison ivy … but your post made me smile, sometimes I love complaining … which is okay too!
    .-= Kath´s last blog ..I got planz =-.