Poison Ivy

July 7th, 2009 · 15 Comments

I’m sorry, this is a whining post.  Last week I mentioned I got poison ivy.  I still have poison ivy.  It was going away.  Almost gone, and then, it started popping out everywhere.  I’ve got it on my hands and feet and there are spots of it all over, mostly my legs, but random spots everywhere.  Today is the worst day so far.  My hands are swollen and itchy and hurting.  At least I got my wedding ring off before that finger swelled up.  My feet are the same.  My throat is burning.  Can you get poison ivy in your throat?  My head hurts.  I am totally fed up.  I’m wondering if this is a systemic reaction, because I know what poison ivy looks like and I avoid it like the plague.  Timmy and my kids haven’t been in the woods, so I don’t think they had the oil on them.  My husband did do some work in the woods last weekend, so now that I think of it, maybe the oil was on his clothes when I washed them.  Sigh.  I’m going to try to spend the day alternately soaking my hands and feet in cold water and thinking soothing thoughts.  Oh, and thinking of simple things that make me happy for tomorrow’s fun at Christina’s place!

Tags: All About Me

• 1 mrs. e // Jul 7, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Get to a Dr. Yes, you can get poison ivy in your throat. And it isn’t good.
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog ..Random: MJ, Art, Crocs, and Poetry =-.

• 2 Gayle // Jul 7, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Hi mrs. e!
    Thank you for the good advice. I went to the doctor and she gave me a shot of prednisone and a prescription for it. She said when your airway is involved, they don’t mess around. Thanks again!

• 3 Puna // Jul 7, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Oh Gayle! Poor you! I would take a bath in oatmeal, the processed kind. Then calamine lotion or benadryl after you get out. But then take Mrs. E’s advice and go to the doctor. What do I know, I stopped at the Chinese apothecary when I was in Hawaii and bought an herb thing for my hip. Take care of yourself!
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..I’m Published & I Can’t Breathe =-.

• 4 spread your wings // Jul 7, 2009 at 9:37 pm

yikes! oh Gayle I’m so sorry. i know you must be miserable. i sure hope the prescription is helping you get more comfortable.

• 5 elk // Jul 7, 2009 at 10:40 pm

gayle i pray as I am writing this that you are feeling some relief from the medication…no more laundry for you right?! seriously I am so sorry this happened …you are in my thoughts!
    .-= elk´s last blog ..some days =-.

• 6 Diane // Jul 7, 2009 at 11:24 pm

oh you poor thing — that sounds absolutely horrendous! Be well — very soon.
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Family & Child Photographer || Grande Prairie & Edmonton areas, Alberta =-.

• 7 DesignTies // Jul 7, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Oh, poor you :-( I’ve never had poison ivy, but my dad’s had it a couple of times. It’s not fun :-(

I hope the medication helps you feel better and your poison ivy goes away soon.

Kelly
    .-= DesignTies´s last blog ..Welcome to our first Rewind Wednesday!! =-.

• 8 Shannon // Jul 7, 2009 at 11:59 pm

I hope you are feeling better. I just hate this happened. I am sending you many cyber hugs and plenty of good thoughts. Take it easy so you can be back to 100% very soon!!
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..Update – The Build – July 6, 2009 =-.

• 9 Gayle // Jul 8, 2009 at 12:09 am

Hi everybody!
    Thank you so much for your well wishes and cyber hugs! I had the prednisone shot about 8 hours ago and I don’t know if it’s the medication or just that the itching and painfulness comes in waves, but things are definitely better right now (just after midnight, my time)!

• 10 More Simple Things! // Jul 8, 2009 at 9:27 am

[…] ← Poison Ivy […]

• 11 Kim Andersen // Jul 8, 2009 at 7:31 pm

I’ve never heard of anything so awful ….. I am so sorry and hope you’re getting better soon!
    .-= Kim Andersen´s last blog ..A Quiet Spot =-.

• 12 Stephanie // Jul 9, 2009 at 12:05 am

I’m late, but I hope you’re feeling better! You are absolutely allowed to whine on your own blog, especially over something like this!

• 13 sunnymama // Jul 9, 2009 at 3:16 pm

You poor thing! I do hope you are feeling better now :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Playing in the snow (Sepia Scenes) =-.

• 14 Stuff I Love, With A Little Complaining // Jul 16, 2009 at 1:29 pm

[…] speeding along today.  A not so great side effect of the Prednisone I’m on (again) for more poison ivy rashes.  Along with that are the feeling that my ears are clogged and a really unpleasant […]

• 15 Apple Picking // Oct 28, 2009 at 10:12 am

[…] We went apple picking last Sunday.  We really lucked out because it wasn’t too crowded but as we were leaving there was a line of cars driving in.  It’s a pretty small place with not much parking, but apparently this year it was discovered.  Maybe they advertised.  We tried to go a couple of weeks ago and the line going into the parking lot was huge, so we just drove right by.  I know it’s great for the owners but I feel a little sad that it has become so overrun with people.  Sigh.  There weren’t even many apples left on the trees!  There were plenty of apples on the ground under the trees – in the poison ivy.  You know I stayed away from the poison ivy! […]