Monday Memories: The Seventeenth!

June 28th, 2009 · 14 Comments

Gayle

Memories of my childhood summers:

• Hearing the jingling of the ice cream truck’s bells on the next street over and running inside to get money from my mom!
  • Staying outside until the street lights came on!
  • Poison ivy (which I have right now, it’s not just a memory) :(
  • Going barefoot!
  • Running and playing all day and feeling so good and worn out at night!
  • The air conditioner in my mom’s bedroom. She turned it on for bedtime if it was really hot and she turned it up really high, so that the room was so cold.  I got to sleep in my sleeping bag on the floor of her room on those super hot nights.
  • Thunderstorms that scared the heck out of me. We lived on a hill on the top floor of a two family house. My cousin Lisa lived one block up the hill from us, in a four family house. During one of those nighttime storms, her house was struck by lightning and caught fire. It confirmed my fears.
  • Every couple of years, one big family cookout at my grandmother’s house (my mom’s mom) that all of the aunts, uncles and cousins came to from all over the country!  It was the best! Hot dogs, hamburgers and roasting marshmallows!
  • This one is from when I was a little older – The summer of Luke and Laura! (General Hospital)

What are you remembering today?  If you have something to share with us today, leave a link to your blog post or photo in Mr. Linky.  If you don’t have a blog, tell us about a memory in the comment section.  I want to hear from everybody!  (If Mr. Linky  isn’t working, you can put your link in the comments section.)  Please remember to:

• Leave a link to the specific blog post, not to your general blog address, to make it easier for people to find your memory post.
  • Make sure your link works and that it goes to your specific memory post.
  • Put a link back to here in your post so that your readers can come and read about everyone’s memories!
  • Visit the other participants and please leave comments on their posts!  We all love comments!
  • Enjoy the party and come back next week for Monday Memories: Part Eighteen!

Tags: All About Me · Monday Memories

• 1 elk // Jun 29, 2009 at 8:11 am

what happy summer time thoughts!s …they are with you forever you look so small in that pool Gayle

• 2 Angela // Jun 29, 2009 at 10:34 am

Luke & Laura – that reminds me – I was addicted to soaps in the summers -> still am! It was always GH back then, but I quit watching it when Sonny & Emily got together…now I only watch Y&R – every day when I get home from work!! Sometimes I wish I were a teacher and had summers off — so much I could get done if I were at home today!!!
    ~angela @ peonypatch
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..Met Monday =-.

• 3 Gayle // Jun 29, 2009 at 10:50 am

Hi elk!
    I do look small, don’t I? I guess I was! (Still am!)

Hi Angela!
    Soaps during the summer were one of my favorite things! I tune in to All My Children occasionally now. It’s so cool that some of the actors are still the same! I never watched Y & R, but I know so many people that did.

• 4 patty // Jun 29, 2009 at 11:01 am

omg… i did not go this far when reading your blog… i went to sleep last night, thinking of childhood memories and thought, this will be a great post… and that’s just what i did this morning.. how meant-to-be-ish! great idea for a linky party, too… i want to do mine in several parts.. this one is from my early childhood, like up to age 11 …

• 5 Gayle // Jun 29, 2009 at 11:09 am

Hi patty!
    That is so cool that our minds were on the same thing! I love your list!

• 6 maya | springtree road // Jun 29, 2009 at 2:21 pm

the summer of luke and laura! ha ha. i remember that.

i also remember catching lightning bugs, watering my grandfather’s garden with his homemade gourd water dipper, and eating a ton of popsicles! :)
    .-= maya | springtree road´s last blog ..A real Southern treat =-.

• 7 Gayle // Jun 29, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Hi maya!
    Lightning bugs! I still do that with my kids! Thankfully my two youngest haven’t outgrown it yet. Oh, I loved homemade popsicles done with root beer! I don’t like soda to drink, but frozen…mmmm!

• 8 spread your wings // Jun 29, 2009 at 8:06 pm

great memories. i remember playing kick the can outside AFTER the street lights came on and bats would fly around the lights – kids saying they would get stuck in my hair because it was so curly. i still fear that. haha
    .-= spread your wings´s last blog ..blue grass / blue glass =-.

• 9 Gayle // Jun 29, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Hi spread your wings!
    Sometimes my kids and I are outside when the bats start flying and it kind of worries me, too! I don’t think I ever saw a bat when I was a kid.

• 10 Se'Lah // Jun 30, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Wow…that thunderstorm thing is scary.

Love, love, love your monday memories.

Feel better with the poison ivy. sending lots of positive vibes your way.
    .-= Se’Lah´s last blog ..why, oh why… =-.

• 11 Gayle // Jul 1, 2009 at 12:52 am

Hi Se’Lah!
    It was scary. My aunt and cousin Lisa came to my house while my uncle stayed and watched the firefighters put out the fire. I still remember how scared and upset my cousin was.

Thanks for the positive vibes! The poison ivy is starting to spread. Grrrr. Hopefully it won’t get too bad.

• 12 Monkey's Momma // Jul 1, 2009 at 10:57 am

We have an ice cream truck that comes through our neighborhood several times a week. I dread hearing the music….because then Monkey will just die if he doesn’t get an ice cream cone….and I pay $2-3 dollars for something that would cost half that in the store!!
    .-= Monkey’s Momma´s last blog ..445 Great Dog Names =-.

• 13 Puna // Jul 1, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I’ve been really busy! But so sentimental at the same time visiting here in Hawaii. I really don’t want to leave.
    .-= Puna´s last blog ..If You Were Me =-.

• 14 sunnymama // Jul 9, 2009 at 3:31 pm

I love reading your Monday Memories posts! I must join in soon :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Playing in the snow (Sepia Scenes) =-.