It’s A Snap(ping Turtle)

June 23rd, 2009 · 8 Comments

Snapping Turtle

Snapping Turtle

Our broken down pool is a home to all sorts of critters this year!

Snapping Turtle & Color Mixing 033 (Medium)

I’m glad this snapping turtle is little.  We have come close to the big ones, and boy, are they mean!

Snapping Turtle & Color Mixing 014 (Medium)

You can click on the photo to get a better look at those claws.  My girl has a glove on to hold this little one because I don’t want her getting any turtle-borne salmonella!  (And she washed her hands afterwards, too.)

So far we have found a toad, a frog and this snapping turtle in the pool ruins.  I haven’t seen any snakes yet this year.  They’re probably waiting for the warm weather to arrive.  Last night it was so chilly and windy that it felt like it was time to go shopping for Halloween costumes and carve pumpkins!  Please summer, come to us soon.

Are you seeing the sun?  Is it warm, or even hot where you are?  Can you send some to us?

Tags: Home & Garden · Wild Critters

• 1 Shannon // Jun 23, 2009 at 2:39 pm

You can have some of our extremely hot and humid weather. We are melting here. Cute turtle, hard to believe he is going to grow up to be mean and very nasty!!
    .-= Shannon´s last blog ..Fridays are for Shopping =-.

• 2 elk // Jun 23, 2009 at 3:48 pm

gladly will send the heat to you…as always in texas though …your turtle odyssey continues what fun for the kids!

• 3 Se'Lah // Jun 23, 2009 at 4:34 pm

The Nor’Easter shall soon pass and sunshine will visit you again.

That is way cool about the snapping turtle. I have never seen one that small. Great find and shot.
    .-= Se’Lah´s last blog ..even on the rainiest of days… =-.

• 4 mrs. e // Jun 23, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Oh, I would gladly send you some 105 weather and the horrific humidity that comes with us. My husband would kill for your Nor’Easter. We really need to move north! Love your turtle. You didn’t get any, “Mommy, can we keep him?” did you??
    .-= mrs. e´s last blog .. =-.

• 5 Angela // Jun 24, 2009 at 10:52 am

Come to NC – it’s brutally hot here!!

~angela @ peonypatch
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..2 out of 3 ain’t bad… =-.

• 6 Stephanie // Jun 24, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I love turtles!! I used to have a couple of aquatic ones. They’re just so cute! (Even this one, who looks a bit on the gnarly side. 😉

• 7 Puna // Jun 24, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Sending some warmth your way! I’ve never seen a baby snapping turtle before.

• 8 sunnymama // Jun 26, 2009 at 10:42 pm

What an interesting little turtle! Love the pictures :)
    .-= sunnymama´s last blog ..Babylegs =-.