Tired of Gloom and Doom

May 8th, 2009 · 12 Comments

My husband’s work has been very slow since January.  He is self employed, so when there is little work, there is little money.  Of course there are still bills.  But we have never been crazy spenders and we are fine for now.  That I am very thankful for.  The thing is, my husband has become “gloom and doom” guy.  While he is home he is reading news story after news story and he reports all of the doom and gloom to me, constantly.  The weird thing is he is not depressed by the stories.  He doesn’t seem to be worried about the future.  I think he is basically an optimist and in his heart of hearts, feels that the world will come out okay in the end.   I also think that we (humans, the earth)  will be fine.  I know there is so much good in the world.  I work with amazing people everyday that volunteer their time and their hearts to help the children of our community.  I meet the most warm, caring, wonderful people from all over the world right here on the internet. But there is still that worry in the back of my mind, what if we aren’t okay?  What if our country and our world can’t recover.  I want to live my life with a blind eye to the worries of the world that I can’t change.  I do want to know what’s going on, I want to help when I can.  But to be constantly bombarded by these stories?  No, I don’t want that.  When he talks all of this gloom, I sometimes say, “Yes, I know, you said that yesterday.”   But there’s always a new news story for him to pore over.   I have tried to half listen, that doesn’t work.  I still come away with the feeling of a dark cloud looming.   His dad is exactly the same, except I think his dad believes that we are on a downhill path and we will not come out of it.  My mother-in-law told me I need to perfect the art of looking like I’m listening while I’m thinking of other things.  As I have mentioned, she is a phobia counselor aide, and her work is all about staying in the present and not ever thinking, “What if?”

I don’t think I’m going to change him.  You can’t change another person, right?  I need to change my reaction to his gloom and doom stories.  I need to…ummm…put my head in the sand?  No?

Okay, my plan is to:

• Plant more seeds.  So far I have planted peas, arugula, basil and parsley seeds.
  • Take more photos.  We have had rain everyday for so long that everything is very beautiful and green!
  • Enjoy my children!  We are having a sleepover/camp out in the living room tonight.  (More rain/storms expected, so no outdoor camping!)
  • Play with Timmy!
  • Practice panning!

Panning Practice

Panning Practice

Tags: Family · Pets · Photography

• 1 DesignTies // May 8, 2009 at 10:10 am

I had no idea what panning is (I was pretty sure you didn’t mean looking for gold!!), so I followed your link. Very cool :-) And your pictures came out pretty good for a first-timer :-)

As for dealing with the doom and gloom…. try to be like a guy. My hubby is so zoned out when he’s watching TV, he has no idea that I’m talking to him. If you can perfect zoning out like that, problem solved!! :-)

Happy weekend!!

Kelly

DesignTies’s last blog post..Grab your swimsuit, it’s a pool party!!

• 2 Katie in MA // May 8, 2009 at 10:13 am

I love your list! Lists are the path to happiness and organization, I think. :) Then again, I can be a bit dorky sometimes, but I love me that way!

Anyway, I think you have a great plan! You might also talk to your husband and tell him that you love listening to his voice and that he includes you with what he is thinking (keys to happy marriages, I think), but that the constant sorrow drags you down sometimes. See if he has any ideas. Maybe he could just end with one happy story? Make it into a challenge with him to find one positive story every night to end with. :-)

Katie in MA’s last blog post..The If Question about foreign rule.

• 3 Se'Lah // May 8, 2009 at 10:18 am

I don’t watch the news but somehow I can’t completely filter out all the news. I just trust and believe that JAH will provide for all of us and that brings me calm. I do practice staying in the present and not getting lost in my thoughts with the “what if?” I prefer to enjoy the present and planting more seeds seem like a perfectly reasonable way to make the world more beautiful. Edibles are functional too 😉 Gardening is definitely therapeutic.

Enjoy the sleepover.

Se’Lah’s last blog post..Conscious Friday: Weekend’s Here…

• 4 Angela // May 8, 2009 at 10:21 am

I don’t watch the news anymore. Just can’t do it. I don’t read it either. My hubby likes to talk stock market all the time since I am in that industry…I give him alot of responses like “I dunno” :)
    Enjoy your seeds and soon to be productive plants! Great list!
    ~angela @ peonypatch

• 5 maya | springtree road // May 8, 2009 at 10:48 am

i have stopped looking at most news. i can’t take it anymore. my hubby could watch fox news all day long. sometimes i just have to veto it.

i think your list of things to do is wonderful. they’ll definitely make you feel better. :)

maya | springtree road’s last blog post..Tools of the trade

• 6 Maya // May 8, 2009 at 10:49 am

My husband and I have made it a practice to focus on what we want and what we are thankful for… It was a decision at one point, and it’s great to work as a team. Perhaps your husband would be up for that!

Maya’s last blog post..Everybody Loves Greece

• 7 elk // May 8, 2009 at 3:09 pm

your list of lovely things will help you through this…i do not watch the news it is so bad most times…

is that your house in the picture…what a big yard !
    sending positive energy over the blogospere

elk

• 8 Stephanie // May 8, 2009 at 3:44 pm

My mom is all about gloom and doom. She likes to talk about the “end of the world” and when she thinks it’s going to happen. Drives me nuts (but mostly ’cause it scares me). I finally got her to accept that it’s a topic I will NEVER want to talk about. There’s no point in worrying about the bad stuff. I just want to focus on the positive!

Stephanie’s last blog post..The more I try to understand men, the more I realize I’m better off trying to put my head through a wall.

• 9 Stephanie's mom // May 8, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Stephanie is soooooo wrong, lol. Just because I think the world is going to hell in a hand basket doesn’t mean I’m all doom and gloom. And just because I think the world’s going to end (as we know it) in 2012 doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy a good sunset. :)

Actually, I have put my head in the sand during these hard political and economic times. There’s nothing I can do, so I don’t want to hear about it, and I don’t want to talk about it because it makes me feel helpless.

Weird thing is that my husband has immersed himself in it. I have to tell him not to talk to me about it because I feel myself starting to become highly agitated.

Stephanie’s mom’s last blog post..(Final) Story of how I became an attorney, part X

• 10 spread your wings // May 8, 2009 at 9:01 pm

sounds like you have the idea. a campout sounds fun. i picked up some different types of basil yesterday at the nursery – thai basil, cinammon basil and spicy basil.
    as far as news, i try not to watch it.

spread your wings’s last blog post..silver lining / velvet red

• 11 vchelle // May 9, 2009 at 4:50 pm

With acceptance brings peace… (smile) Our power is in the present moment and in this present moment, just live.. To your hubby, it is what it is.. Right at this moment, there is joy, peace and happiness in your lives.. Listen to that! Sending love, peace, and enthusiasm your way, always!

vchelle’s last blog post..Conscious Friday: Reversing Diabetes Movement

• 12 sunnymama // May 9, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Love your list of plans!

sunnymama’s last blog post..Shadow Shot