Monday Memories: The Ninth!

May 3rd, 2009 · 13 Comments

Memories of My Mom during this week before Mother’s Day

• She was the 10th daughter in her family
  • I was her only child, born when she was 33
  • I called her Mommy her whole life
  • She played “Barbies” with me
  • She was brave enough to legally separate from my father when nobody else we knew was a single mom.
  • She took me to the city on the train, just the two of us.
  • She took me across the country to California, her first plane ride, and mine.
  • After our first plane ride, which she was not crazy about, she took me to the Grand Canyon once and to California a few more times.  By plane.  At the Grand Canyon we took a small plane ride to tour the canyon itself.  She didn’t let fear win over adventure.
  • She scrimped and saved, having only her income as a bookkeeper and an occasional support payment from my father, so that we could have fun.
  • She battled cancer twice, sure that she would win.
  • She did not glide through an easy life. I remember her saying something about life being a school of hard knocks. But if there was fun to be had she was right there to join in!
  • In the end cancer is what took her, but it never beat her.

easter-1966

What are you remembering today?  If you have something to share with us today, leave a link to your blog post or photo in Mr. Linky.  If you don’t have a blog, tell us about a memory in the comment section.  I want to hear from everybody!  Please remember to:

• Leave a link to the specific blog post, not to your general blog address, to make it easier for people to find your memory post.
  • Make sure your link works and that it goes to your specific memory post.
  • Put a link back to here in your post so that your readers can come and read about everyone’s memories!
  • Visit the other participants and please leave comments on their posts!  We all love comments!
  • Enjoy the party and come back next week for Monday Memories: Part Ten!

Tags: Family · Monday Memories

• 1 Gail // May 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I too share your feelings of reminissing about your mom as I am too- my mother passed away in my arms 1 year ago February 7th. Cancer took her from us as well… she was Dx with Pancreatic cancer and 14 days and 2 hrs from the time she was told till she died.
    I have many fond memeories of my mom as well. I think back to how fortuante I was to have my mom be a crutial part in my daughters lives as well. … my mom will always be in my heart and in my thoughts every single day.
    Happy mothers Day to thoses who are fortunate to have your mother with you yet.

• 2 Puna // May 4, 2009 at 6:30 am

Thank you for this great post of about your mom. I’m inspired to do this for my own mom.

Puna’s last blog post..Best Shot Monday, Negative Space

• 3 Se'Lah // May 4, 2009 at 6:49 am

this post brought tears to my eyes…soooo beautiful.

Se’Lah’s last blog post..Inspirational Monday: You Inspire Me…

• 4 Gayle // May 4, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Hi Gail,
    I’m so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your memories of her with us.

Hi Puna,
    Great! I would love to read yours.

Hi Se’Lah,
    Thank you!

• 5 Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home // May 4, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Hi Gayle or is it Gail, I am confused…
    That was a heart warming story you told of your Mom this week before Mother’s Day. My mother had a stroke and died 4 days later of a when I was 29 years old. I am so grateful I had given her two grandchildren before she died. She loved the role of grandmother. …susan

Susan Lang @ Designing Your Dream Home’s last blog post..A Tidbit on Monday: What Swine Flu Precautions Have You Noticed?

• 6 elk // May 4, 2009 at 11:48 pm

such a touching and love filled post Gayle…losing mom is a hard part of this life…i know that photo holds a special place in your memories

elk

elk’s last blog post..calm after the storm

• 7 betsy // May 5, 2009 at 8:04 am

What beautiful memories you have of your mother! And so appropriate this week to remember her. Love the photo!

betsy’s last blog post..A Bird’s Eye View

• 8 lmerie // May 5, 2009 at 10:20 am

Oh what a touching post! Wonderful memories and what a beautiful mom!

lmerie’s last blog post..Ahhhh, The life of mom (parents) . . .

• 9 vchelle // May 5, 2009 at 11:20 am

Such a beautiful memory and dedication to your fun and loving mom! Isn’t it such a wonderful blessing that we have memories of the Spirits that complete us? I had a meltdown after remembering my sister Doris and I can tell you that I know she is looking and is around us all the time and so is hour mom!

Come over to OY and check your award! (smile)

vchelle’s last blog post..Premio Dardos Award!

• 10 DesignTies // May 5, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Thank you for sharing your memories of your mom. She sounds like a strong and smart woman, with a love of fun and adventure :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

DesignTies’s last blog post..Ghosts aren’t afraid of duvets… but I am!!

• 11 Angela // May 5, 2009 at 8:04 pm

What an incredible role model your mom was!! Thank you for sharing! I actually still call my mom “mommy” and always will. My older brother does, too. It’s so natural for us, but I’ve noticed people snickering when we say it. Don’t care.
    So sorry I missed getting a post in this week for memories. Still dealing with my cold, or whatever it is, although it’s confirmed NOT be oink oink. 😉
    Hope you have a wonderful week!
    ~angela

Angela’s last blog post..Spring Cleaning Sale

• 12 Shannon // May 5, 2009 at 11:23 pm

What a beautiful tribute to your mother. And what a beautiful lady she is. You were also very adorable in that pink coat. You brought tears to my eyes. Thank goodness I can blame my allergies.

Shannon’s last blog post..It’s a Half Birthday