Monday Memories: The Eighth!

April 26th, 2009 · 17 Comments

Mine was named Ted.

My teen-aged son had several, no one in particular that was special.

My daughter’s was named Pal.

My youngest son’s was named Bear.

Do you know what I’m talking about?  Our teddy bears.  My mom kept Ted for many years.  I threw him away when my husband and I were cleaning out stuff that my mom saved.  My advice is, don’t throw away your bear that was your companion for years.  You will wish you hadn’t!  My teen-aged son never became attached to any one stuffed animal when he was little.  He was an equal opportunity lover of stuffed critters.  My daughter loved Pal with all her heart.  One day, out of the blue, she told me, “Pal’s name is Ken now.”  What?! That only lasted for one day and then he was back to being Pal again.  Must have been a Barbie influence going on there.  My youngest son had Bear.  He loved Bear, but not the way I loved Ted and my daughter loved Pal.  Do you think it is a girl thing?  Pal and Bear are now tucked away in the back of my childrens’ closets.  I miss the days of their chubby little arms hugging their bears tightly.  I guess I miss the days of their chubby little arms hugging me tightly.

Pal

Pal

What are you remembering today?  If you have something to share with us today, leave a link to your blog post or photo in Mr. Linky.  If you don’t have a blog, tell us about a memory in the comment section.  I want to hear from everybody!  Please remember to:

• Leave a link to the specific blog post, not to your general blog address, to make it easier for people to find your memory post.
  • Make sure your link works and that it goes to your specific memory post.
  • Put a link back to here in your post so that your readers can come and read about everyone’s memories!
  • Visit the other participants and please leave comments on their posts!  We all love comments!
  • Enjoy the party and come back next week for Monday Memories: Part Nine!

Tags: Family · Monday Memories

• 1 Puna // Apr 27, 2009 at 8:18 am

Hi Gayle,

Today, I have a current memory of my little girl. I hope you don’t mind. After all, I don’t have a lot of pictures of when I was a child…

• 2 Gayle // Apr 27, 2009 at 8:37 am

Hi Puna!
    That is totally fine! I’m so glad you joined in!

• 3 anna b-bonkers // Apr 27, 2009 at 10:29 am

I have never figured out exactly what the Linky’s thing is….really I am that slow.
    So I will comment it.
    I never had a stuffy that I loved like that . However I had a blankie. It was blue with ribbon sewed around the edges and I would suck on the corners as a little girl. I loved it but eventually it ended up in a box in my parents basement. I knew it was there and that made me happy. Until a few years ago when I found out that my dad purged the basement and my precious blankie is now in the landfill.
    My kids aren’t really attached to a particular toy. Ethan was attached to a little elephant for a while so that will end up in his treasure box someday……and not get purged!

anna b-bonkers’s last blog post..Oh belly!

• 4 vchelle // Apr 27, 2009 at 10:59 am

I, too, am not familiar with Mr. Linky, so I always comment here…

I didn’t have a childhool friend/pal teddy bear or doll.. I often wonder why…

However, my daughter J has a little chocolate bald-head baby that she calls “Boy.” It’s so funny because Boy has pink and white sleeper on. No matter how many times my family has tried to suggest to her that maybe Boy should be called Girl. She adamanetly says his name is Boy! And funny thing about that is her Betta boy fish, she calls Girly! Same, she refuses to hear differently.

In any event, poor Boy has been dragged and dropped and pulled, but she loves her Boy!

Happy Inspirational Monday!

vchelle’s last blog post..Inspirational Monday: Radically Free!

• 5 Maya // Apr 27, 2009 at 11:01 am

I don’t remember having an attachment to a stuffed animal…, for a while though I had a monkey that I loved.

Maya’s last blog post..The seven prettiest Coastal Towns in America

• 6 spread your wings // Apr 27, 2009 at 11:45 am

my daughter had a strong attachment to a stuffed dog instead of a bear. His name was Mutsy. Mutsy was loved so long that his body began to get thread bear so I made a little shirt for him out of a child’s sock – basically to keep him together. She still is very gentle with him and has him in a special place in her closet. (she didn’t take him to college though). You’ve inspired a monday memories post for me. I have been so bad about doing them.

spread your wings’s last blog post..repose

• 7 Rachel // Apr 27, 2009 at 1:24 pm

My grandmother gave me a white lamb with pink eyes, which I dubbed “Lambie” (so original, I know!) just a few days after I was born. She’s also got a music box inside her, and to this day I still have no idea what song it is. Didn’t really matter though, because I remember falling asleep to her song.

• 8 Rachel // Apr 27, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Bah, hit enter too soon! Damn it! Anyway…I still have her and occasionally take her to bed with me (not too often, otherwise she ends up on the floor and I can’t do that to my baby!) I had a bunch of other stuffed animals I was attached to, and I still have all of them! They’re like my children, and I just can’t bring myself to get rid of any of them. Not even the ones my ex gave to me. I love them all! 😀

• 9 Lailani // Apr 27, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Happy Monday Gayle! I like your post! Have a great day!!

Lailani’s last blog post..Monday Memories: Smack Down

• 10 elk // Apr 27, 2009 at 2:41 pm

such a very wonderful memory …stuffed friends forever1

elk’s last blog post..a wish for this week

• 11 Gayle // Apr 27, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Hi anna!
    It took me a while to figure the linky thing out, too! Commenting is totally fine!
    Oh, no! Your blankie! I know how you feel. I can’t believe I was the one to throw away my Ted. It’s one of those things that pops into my head every once in a while and I feel so bad that I tossed him. I’m glad you’re going to keep Ethan’s elephant safe! Your mentioning Ethan’s elephant reminded me that my oldest son had a stuffed Babar that he loved for a little while. But then our dog at the time chewed Babar’s trunk and one ear off. My son didn’t love it after that!

Hi vchelle!
    Oh, that is so cute and funny! She is going to be a strong willed woman! Make sure you keep “Boy” for J to have when she is older!

Hi Maya!
    That reminded me of something! I had a stuffed monkey that I used to drag around with me and I pretended that he was Will, the little brother,
    from the TV show Lost In Space! (I think I’m really showing my age with that!)

Hi spread your wings!
    Awww, that is so sweet. I’m glad Mutsy is in a safe place!

Hi Rachel!
    I’m glad you kept them all! It really bugs me sometimes that I tossed Ted (speaking of original names!)

Hi Lailani!
    Thank you! Happy Monday to you, too!

Hi elk!
    Thank you! I hope my kids don’t toss their stuffed animals when they’re older!

• 12 Kim @ Forever Wherever // Apr 27, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Oh, what a sweet post! My 14yr old had a little hedgehog that he would sleep with. That’s even after he cleared his bed of all animals when a friend made a comment about them when he was about 8 or so. Now he lets his 10 yr old brother take care of him. He has tons of animals all over. His favorite is a bear named “Berry.” that he’s had for years and years.

I had a bear, but I don’t remember his name. I still have him packed away. I was always carrying around a turtle or some other animal when I was little….real ones!

~Kim

Kim @ Forever Wherever’s last blog post..Weekend Links – Get Crafty!

• 13 Jenna @ Newlyweds // Apr 27, 2009 at 3:42 pm

How sweet, I had a stuffed pink rhino, I know weird huh. He was/is (I still have him) a puffalump (they don’t make them anymore) any guesses on his name, puffy.. Yes I was really original.

Jenna @ Newlyweds’s last blog post..Daring Bakers Challenge – Cheesecake

• 14 sunnymama // Apr 27, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Pal is a handsome teddy! You can see how loved he’s been. I had an elephant called elephant. Sunnyboy has a monkey called monkey. Not as interesting names as Pal, or Ken!

sunnymama’s last blog post..Charlie and Lola (Book Sharing Monday)

• 15 Se'Lah // Apr 28, 2009 at 6:21 am

What a great memory! My daughter’s is Teddy…she received it on the day she was born.

Se’Lah’s last blog post..Say it again…

• 16 Kim Andersen // Apr 28, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I’m here on Tuesday :)

Your post about bears made me get my old bear out from his packed away place in my closet and put him on my bed for today. I just so happen to have a sick child at home who can snuggle up with him …..

Kim Andersen’s last blog post..Theodore Bear

• 17 Monkey's Momma // Apr 28, 2009 at 9:53 pm

I had a green and yellow plaid stuffed dog named Manfred. I think he is in a box somewhere.

Monkey’s Momma’s last blog post..I’m Back (Barely)