Stress Relief

April 21st, 2009 · 7 Comments

beach-4-19-09-010-small

Got stress?  Recently I have been getting more hits on my site for the stress test post that my amazing daughter wrote back in September, when she was twelve.  Do you think people are generally feeling more stressed lately?  I have noticed people in our area talking about an increased stress level. I thought that I would find out what each of my family members do to relieve stress when they are feeling frazzled.  Here’s what I got:

Husband: I do yard work or any activity that is physical. Me: nah, I’ll skip this advice.

Teen-aged Son: I pet Timmy and Polly, I play my guitar and I try to get more sleep. Me: This is good advice for me, except for the guitar playing part. Everyone else in the house would be stressed listening to my attempts.

Middle school Daughter: I listen to music, I chew gum, I draw, I read a book that I can really get into, I look at funny stuff on the internet, I kick my soccer ball around the yard.  Me: I use some of these, not chewing gum-it makes me feel nauseous.

Middle school Son: I do deep breathing.  That’s it. Nothing else.  Me: That’s it?

Me: I pet Timmy, I drink tea, I crochet, I read a book, I take pictures, I read blogs, I cook, I tweet. I finish work that is hanging over me…like a dark cloud…threatening to take over my world….oops. Never mind. I never procrastinate.

When my daughter started middle school she was having some anxiety and my mother-in-law, who is a phobia counselor aide (or some title like that!), taught us about diaphragmatic breathing.  Very basically, place a hand on your belly, inhale slowly and make your belly gently rise with the inhalation. Your chest will hardly move at all with diaphragmatic breathing. Exhale and deflate your belly.  The coolest thing about this is that it actually fools your body into thinking that you are calm and you become calmer!  Now, I must admit that I have not practiced this enough to perfect it. I’m lazy when I am stressed. It’s too much trouble to breath properly. heehee.

Do you have any tried and true stress relievers?  If they are exercise related I probably won’t try them. Just being honest here!

Tags: Family · Stress Relievers

• 1 Shannon // Apr 21, 2009 at 9:33 pm

A nice, hot bubble bath is my stress relief. Unfortunately, it is quite a bit of effort to get a nice, hot bubble bath so sometimes I just daydream about one. I am going to practice the breathing. Just reading how to do it was relaxing.

• 2 elk // Apr 22, 2009 at 7:29 am

is the photo of a bridge? whatever it is I love it1!
    stress?!
    porch swing
    red wine
    chocolate
    time in the garden
    singing
    …not all at once!

elk’s last blog post..a toast

• 3 Gayle // Apr 22, 2009 at 10:09 am

Hi Shannon!
    Yes, it’s hard to find time for a hot bubble bath when you’re a mom! It seems that our children need us most when we are the most stressed!

Hi elk!
    It is an shelter to stand under, I think. It is between a boardwalk and a parking lot. Great stress relievers!

• 4 spread your wings // Apr 22, 2009 at 10:30 am

porch swing or hammock does me wonders; if it’s sunny outside – just having the sun hit my face relaxes me a great deal.
    i’m like you – that breathing technique is too much trouble. hahaha

spread your wings’s last blog post..fresh flowers / fresh new book

• 5 vchelle // Apr 22, 2009 at 11:23 am

Since I believe stress is way too much thinking and setting expectations based on what I think is like a time bomb ticking away..LOL!

I breathe, and breathe and breathe… Long deep breaths and then I remind myself how wonderfully blessed I am and my objects and things are just an illusion but my Being is real. Then, I create a mood from activity, favorite incent and music!

vchelle’s last blog post..The Tea Party!

• 6 lmerie // Apr 22, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Thanks for the reminder to breath deep!!

Smiles!

lmerie’s last blog post..Ever want to be something you’re not?

• 7 Monkey's Momma // Apr 28, 2009 at 9:59 pm

I run around in circles and scream, ” I can’t take it anymore!!!!”. No, not really.

I read, blog, piddle around online, garden, take photos or create something.

Monkey’s Momma’s last blog post..I’m Back (Barely)