Learning Digital Photo Editing

March 26th, 2009 · 15 Comments

The alternate title for this post could be, “What I Spent A Bunch of Time On When I Should Have Been Putting Together The Newsletter for My Volunteer Job.”

I don’t think I mentioned that for my birthday my hubby and kids gave me Photoshop Elements 7, along with a how-to book by Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski.  Yippee!  Now I just need about 1,000 hours of uninterrupted time to try to figure out how to actually use it!  I need someone to come in and do housecleaning and laundry and cooking and dog care and…umm, everything.   Even better, maybe Scott Kelby can come and live with us for a little while to teach me.  I’ll even do his laundry!  I guess that’s not going to happen.  Sigh.

So, what better time to dive in as when there are clothes to be washed and some volunteer computer work which needs to be done on a deadline?  No better time, of course.

Here is my SOOC (Straight out of Camera) shot:

3-15-09-hike-061-small-2

My editing program to this point has been Picasa.  I really like it.  It’s easy to use.  It’s free! Here is how I edited the shot with Picasa:

3-15-09-hike-061-small1

Here is what I was able to do with Photoshop Elements 7:

3-15-09-hike-061_edited-1-small

Yeah, I still have a lot to learn.  For now, I’m off to sort clothes for the laundry.  I’ll put off the “I’m on a deadline” computer job  for a little longer.

What program do you edit with?

Is there anything you are putting off doing today?

Tags: Favorite Things · Photography

• 1 Stephanie // Mar 26, 2009 at 1:40 pm

I started with Photoshop Elements… now I use CS3. I totally recommend http://www.kelbytraining.com. It’s $20/month to access ALL their online training courses and it feels like someone is right there in the room with you showing you how to do stuff. It’s amazing and totally worth it, even if you only use it for a month to learn the basics. It’s a GREAT resource.

Stephanie’s last blog post..The last twelve days of my life gone forever.

• 2 d @ qdm.com // Mar 26, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I use gimp (Available at gimp.org…it’s free also but more advanced than picassa. I also use picassa for some things…their new clone type tool is pretty good! easier to use than gimp’s.

I tried a free month of both photoshop and paintshop and will eventually purchase paintshop. I can’t even remember why now…

as far as should be doing? I should be enjoying the beautiful day outside…but I’m at work…

• 3 d @ qdm.com // Mar 26, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Oh! and….i spend a lot of time googling “gimp tutorials” and did the same during my month of free photoshop. There are so many fun tutorials to see on line…lots of them are very easy to follow (Seriously, I need everything spelled out for me with pictures and stuff)

• 4 E L K // Mar 26, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Gayle…I got the same for Christmas…and a book as well(name escapes me) I agree with you it is not that it is so hard …it is finding the time to work on it!
    just do a little at a time….and do not get overwhelmed..you can do this it will just take some time….I have barely scratched the surface and here it is 3 months later!

E L K’s last blog post..looking glass

• 5 spread your wings // Mar 26, 2009 at 8:44 pm

i use photoshop CS3
    i’m putting off the dishes at the moment. : )

spread your wings’s last blog post..dripping / draping

• 6 Gayle // Mar 27, 2009 at 9:17 am

Hi Stephanie!
    That sounds really great!

Hi d!
    That’s a great idea to search for tutorials. Thanks!

Hi E L K!
    Yes, a little at a time is what I will do!

Hi spread your wings!
    Putting of the dishes is good. They’ll wait for you!

• 7 Shannon // Mar 27, 2009 at 10:03 am

Wow, I wish I could do all those great things in photoshop. Maybe someday. I’m still learning how to use my camera. I should be ashamed.

Shannon’s last blog post..One Man’s Trash

• 8 Se'Lah // Mar 27, 2009 at 11:23 am

Since I have been here catching up on your blog, I would venture to say that I am putting off work. Hmmm. :-)

Reading this post is really making me itch for that Nikon camera I’ve been putting off buying.

Happy Conscious Friday!

Se’Lah’s last blog post..Did you know? …

• 9 Debbie // Mar 27, 2009 at 8:48 pm

I just ogle other people’s photography. I really appreciate other’s compositions and editing. I’m lame with a camera (don’t worry – I have other talents lol). Anything I put off doing today? Yea – the SUN was out and it was 61* outside! Whoot! So I put off a LOT of things in order to be outside filling the bird feeder, walking to my daughter’s bus stop to pick her up, dragging up the trash can (my son’s job, but I didn’t mind doing it!)…… You get the picture. LOL

• 10 Gayle // Mar 27, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Hi Shannon!
    I’m still figuring my camera out, too, and I’ve had it for a year!

Hi Se’Lah!
    Catching up on blogs is one of my favorite ways to avoid things I should be doing!

Hi Debbie!
    A nice day is worth putting off other things!

• 11 Shalet // Mar 28, 2009 at 2:12 pm

First off — Happy Birthday! Second I use photoshop CS2 and love it! I can’t imagine life without photoshop (ha – I’d actually have to learn to use my camera properly!!). :o)

Shalet’s last blog post..Monday Memories: The Commute

• 12 Gayle // Mar 28, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Hi Shalet!

Thank you! Your photos are beautiful! I don’t think it’s all post processing!

• 13 Andi // Mar 28, 2009 at 9:04 pm

I’ve got photoshop elements, but now that I have my netbook I use picnik. either way I’m afraid of over editing stuff :shrug:

Andi’s last blog post..Tabletop Ironing Board

• 14 Monkey's Momma // Apr 1, 2009 at 9:12 am

Like Andi said, I am afraid of overediting stuff. But I use Picassa almost exclusively and I also just started playing around with Picnik. At this time in my life, I don’t have time to learn Photoshop, lol!

Monkey’s Momma’s last blog post..Book Giveaway-Win A Copy Of Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Home!!

• 15 Kath // Apr 2, 2009 at 8:17 pm

I have Photoshop Elements 6 and Kelby’s book. It wasn’t really what I wanted. Now I have Lightroom from Adobe and I love it. Love it, love it, love it.

Kath’s last blog post..sisterly love on a thursday