I Need Your Help

March 22nd, 2009 · 10 Comments

I am working on my Monday Memories post now.  I will post it with Mr. Linky at about 10pm eastern time tonight!

Right now I have a question for everyone.  My daughter had an allergic reaction to something last night and on Thursday night.  She had intense itching all over her body and head and developed bumps where she scratched.  Each time I gave her Benadryl, which stopped the symptoms both times within one hour.    I don’t really have experience with allergies and will call the doctor tomorrow morning.  Does anyone know if this kind of reaction is only caused by something ingested?  And, do you know how long after exposure this type of symptom would manifest?  You can email me: gayle at planetmfiles dot com or leave a comment if you’ve got any ideas.  There are a few things that she ate and did that were the same on both nights, but they seem so unlikely to be irritants.

Any experience you’ve had with allergies or knowledge you have I would like to hear.

Tags: Family

• 1 mrs. e // Mar 22, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Sounds like she had hives. Could be something she has eaten or even a change in laundry detergent or shower gels/soap could cause it, too. I used to get hives in my teens fairly often. I think my mom changed to using Ivory Snow for my clothes for awhile. Food or detergent allergies can all occur fairly quickly. Your doctor may have some ideas. You’re going to get to play detective to figure it out!

mrs. e’s last blog post..

• 2 Shannon // Mar 22, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I totally agree with Mrs. E. I have been battling a bit of an itch myself but only on my neck. I started using three new things at once, laundry detergent, facial soap and lotion. So I will be stopping all three and introducing only one at a time to figure out the culprit. Good luck figuring it out.

Shannon’s last blog post..It’s Only Looks Crazy When You Write It Down

• 3 Shalet // Mar 22, 2009 at 7:43 pm

All I can tell you is I’ve personally had two episode of full body hives. Each time they lasted nearly a week. I’ve assumed it was food related but we’ve never been able to determine a cause. Benadryl will only last 4 to 6 hours but is front line defense for acute allergic reactions (at least in pets and this particular human).

I hope she feels better soon!

Shalet’s last blog post..Missing in Action

• 4 Lmerie // Mar 22, 2009 at 9:45 pm

A few months ago, after a bath, I started itching and it got worse. I thought it was maybe soap still on my skin – showered and then later had to take benedryl as a rash started where I itched. It was gone by morning. Then the next day it started in the afternoon – itching and red splotchy rash. Hubby realized something I had eaten both days that was new (a basil tomato flavored wrap). I did not eat any more that week and it has not happeneds since. I am a little chicken to try the wrap again, even though I would like to know for sure. (ps. I can eat tomatoes and basil in all other forms, just seemed to be the tortillas made of it)

Lmerie’s last blog post..Photo Phun Phriday – Pie!!

• 5 laura-dolcepics // Mar 23, 2009 at 3:32 am

Sorry, I’m not much help! How is your daughter doing? Did you get any answers?

laura-dolcepics’s last blog post..At The Ironworks Studios – A Lighting Setup

• 6 d @ qdm.com // Mar 23, 2009 at 10:13 am

I’m a little late in the game, how is your daughter?

My daughter had a full body allergy once and it never was resolved. To this day (6 years later) we still don’t know what caused it. All I know is that she hasn’t been around it since!

• 7 Monkey's Momma // Mar 23, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Well, I am a little late to comment because I worked this weekend. It sounds as if she either ate or brushed up against something that caused her body to “send out the troops” so to speak, and caused the rash. It may happen again, then again, it may not. Our bodies are funny that way. It really depends on the condition of our immune system at the time.

Monkey’s Momma’s last blog post..I Have Been Keeping A Secret

• 8 Se'Lah // Mar 24, 2009 at 6:41 pm

I’ve got a lot of allergies…benadryl is definitely the medicine to have on tap for quick relief. Allergies are tricky but I would ask your doctor to schedule an allergy test. It’s always a good learning tool to know what, if anything, you are allergic to.

Se’Lah’s last blog post..Just a few random, disconnected thoughts…

• 9 Desperately Seeking Spring // Mar 25, 2009 at 2:58 pm

[…] cutting some Forsythia and bringing it in to force it to bloom, but decided not to.  My daughter had hives again last night (this is the third time now) and I don’t want to bring anything into the house […]

• 10 Worry // Apr 1, 2009 at 9:34 am

[…] is what I am right now.  A bundle of worry.  My girl is still not feeling well.  It has gone beyond the itchy allergy-like problem that she was suffering with.  A week and a […]