How I Spent Too Many Hours Today

March 6th, 2009 · 11 Comments

Am I the only person that has trouble with the technical stuff behind blogging? Because when I can’t get Mr. Linky to work, and I type in a Google search for problems with Mr. Linky, and I find no one with any problem like I’m having?  I start to feel really dumb.  My first clue to possible problems came when I had to copy some code from Mr. Linky and put it into my header.php file.  Making any changes in that part of the inner workings of this blog scares me! But, I made the changes and clicked Update File.  I kind of cringed as I clicked on that.  As far as I know, nothing horrible happened.  Then I found on Mr. Linky’s blog that there is a plugin available to make it work oh-so-easily.  I downloaded the plugin to my computer and uploaded it to my server.  There was just one customization needed.  There were warnings in the file!  Don’t change things unless you’re sure!  Hah!  I couldn’t even figure out where to make the customization!  So I thought, maybe I need to activate the plugin first!  I clicked activate…and got horrible scary messages about fatal errors!  Ack!  So, I gave up.  I went back to my server to delete the entire plugin.  AND I DELETED THE WRONG ONE!   Luckily, I only deleted a plugin I never used.  Thank you, my lucky stars!  Then, I deleted the right one.

There were more problems, and if Mr. Linky works on Monday, I think it will be a miracle!  Even if you don’t have a post or photo to link to in Monday Memories, come by anyway.  Even if it’s just to see if Mr. Linky worked for me.

Completely unrelated, here’s a photo from May 2008.  It makes me happy!

may-2008-005-small

Tags: Blogging

• 1 Stephanie // Mar 6, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I spend too much time messing with the layout of my blog, but not quite so much because I have trouble with it but more because I’m totally addicted to learning how to tweak it just so.

Stephanie’s last blog post..The one in which I talk about something else.

• 2 Liz // Mar 6, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Oh gosh, blog stuff can totally suck me in and before I know it an entire night is gone. And that picture is STUNNING. Sigh. Cant wait.

Liz’s last blog post..Kindergarten Art: My Guide to Decorating

• 3 Gayle // Mar 6, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Hi Stephanie!
    I would like to learn more so that I can safely mess around without the risk of destroying the entire blog!

Hi Liz!
    Yes! The day flew by and I didn’t get very much accomplished.

• 4 Mary Beth // Mar 7, 2009 at 10:43 am

This so made me laugh! I am the same way. My blog and making changes to it frightens me to pieces. I think it is because your blog is something you have created and you just don’t want to risk screwing it up. In January, I deleted my entire blog…yep….cried (I am dramatic like that!) and then put it back together…it took some time but that has totally prevented me from doing anything new to it….Blog Fear!

Mary Beth’s last blog post..Dining Room Updates-Inexpensive Options

• 5 Gayle // Mar 7, 2009 at 11:12 am

Hi Mary Beth!

I would cry if I deleted the entire blog, too! Yipes.

• 6 donna // Mar 7, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Arrggghh…technology. Its a love/hate thing with me. Love it when its working…hate it when its not!

donna’s last blog post..The Professor

• 7 Amanda // Mar 7, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I’m right there with you. My husband does computer and website stuff for a living so he knows a whole lot more about this stuff than I do.

If he didn’t, I would be in a mess when it comes to my blog. Honestly, there probably wouldn’t be one. (It’s new so we’re both learning.)

He is teaching me a little at the time. Believe me, I feel really dumb too sometimes, but when you don’t know or don’t understand something, you just don’t.

I guess, looking on the bright side, the more we work on it, the more we’ll learn.

Amanda’s last blog post..6 Ways to Wind Down After a Stressful Day

• 8 Gayle // Mar 7, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Hi donna!
    I think that describes my relationship with technology perfectly!

Hi Amanda!
    You’re right. I do feel very happy when what I’m trying to do actually works. It’s a great sense of accomplishment!

• 9 Fifi Flowers // Mar 8, 2009 at 1:06 am

It was a bit of trial and error before I figured out Mr Linky but it worked just fine for my Fashionable Fridays… keep at it… you’ll get it!
    ENJOY your weekend!
    Fifi
    BTW… thank you for stopping by!

Fifi Flowers’s last blog post..Pretty in PINK on Tybee Island…

• 10 Monkey's Momma // Mar 9, 2009 at 11:38 am

I have not done a Mr. Linky yet for those exact reasons! I’m scared. You KNOW how I am about redesigning my blog! Mr. Linky would probably send me to the Rubber Room!

Monkey’s Momma’s last blog post..Who Would Like To Do A Guest Post?

• 11 Gayle // Mar 10, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Hi Fifi!
    I did finally get it to work! Thanks!

Hi Monkey’s Momma!
    If you decide to try it, I recommend not bothering with the free Mr. Linky. It’s too much trouble.