One Difference Between Men and Women

February 9th, 2009 · 8 Comments

Here is an example of one of the differences between my husband and myself.  On Saturday I wrote a post about my regret at throwing away a clover flower my mom had saved.  On Sunday…

My husband is washing his work truck. (We had temperatures in the 50’s!)  He comes inside and then I see him walking out with a tee shirt in his hands to wax the truck (he loves his truck) and the tee shirt is this one:

tee-shirt

It is a tee shirt that our kids made for him in 2003.  We made shirts like this for him when the kids were little.  It’s what they gave him for father’s day or his birthday.   When the kids were very little we also put their foot prints on the back, and I always put the date along the bottom seam.  They picked out their favorite color of fabric paint each year and we had such a great time secretly decorating a shirt each year.

So, he is walking out to wax his truck with this shirt!

Me:  Are you going to use that shirt to clean your truck?!

Him:  Yes.

Me:  The kids made that for you!   It’s special! (My whole portion of the conversation was filled with exclamation points.)

Him:  I’m not going to wear it anymore.

Me:  So?!  You can’t just use it for a rag and ruin it!

Him:  So I’m just supposed to keep it in my drawer forever?!

Me:  Yes!

He huffed back to his dresser and got a different shirt to wax the truck with.  Somehow, I don’t think he would have had any regrets about turning this special shirt into a rag.  I think I had better get those tee shirts out of his dresser!  He might decide to clean something else with them when I’m not around!

If you have little ones, I think this is a really fun gift to give.  My kids loved picking out their favorite color and squishing their hands and feet into the fabric paint.  Just don’t be surprised if this special gift gets turned into a rag one day!

Tags: Family

• 1 Stephanie // Feb 9, 2009 at 2:14 pm

This was funny! I mean, not that he was going to use a special shirt to wax his truck, but because men are just so dumb (and I mean that in a nice way, of course). They just don’t think like we do. It’s crazy how men and women can be so different.

Stephanie’s last blog post..We’re so the Flinstones.

• 2 spread your wings // Feb 9, 2009 at 2:14 pm

yes I would say most men are not quite as sentimental as women generally are. You better store that special t-shirt away in a safe place. : )

spread your wings’s last blog post..nightfall / afternoon

• 3 ELK // Feb 9, 2009 at 3:17 pm

so true Gayle ~funny story!

I am doing the 6in6 meme tomorrow finally…

ELK’s last blog post..heart & home

• 4 Kim@ForeverWherever // Feb 10, 2009 at 8:46 am

I was laughing so much during your story! I shared it with Tim and he thought it was funny, too! They are just missing a sentimental gene. :-)
    -Kim

Kim@ForeverWherever’s last blog post..Tasty Tuesday Blog Party Invite

• 5 Gayle // Feb 10, 2009 at 9:24 am

Hi Stephanie!
    Yes! Definitely dumb in the sentimental department!

Hi spread your wings!
    I’m going to store the special shirts somewhere safe!

Hi ELK!
    Oh, good! Can’t wait to see what you have!

Hi Kim!
    The question is, would Tim have used a special shirt like that as a rag? Hehe.

• 6 lmerie // Feb 10, 2009 at 10:04 am

LOL – that is funny!

lmerie’s last blog post..Hmmm, Blueberry!

• 7 Shannon // Feb 11, 2009 at 11:07 am

I am just like you. I tend to get sentimental about things. But I did learn to let go a bit when I went through my divorce. I decided to leave 2/3 of my stuff behind so it wouldn’t change the only home T had known at the time. I agonized over those things but years later I am better able to let go of stuff and keep the memories. I am a work in progress.

Shannon’s last blog post..Fantasy Shopping

• 8 Gayle // Feb 11, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Hi lmerie!
    Thanks!

Hi Shannon!
    “A work in progress” is a perfect description! I am, too!